PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to join.

BruceLee
10-22-09, 08:28 PM
I went on a "field trip" to MCRDSD on Friday with my RSS,they took us to see a graduation,we also got a little taste of boot camp from some D.I.'s...anyways on the way home our recruiter shared some thoughts and one thing that stood out in my mind was the reason he decided to join the Marine Corps.So I would like to know some of the reasons why YOU decided to enlist,and Why the Marine Corps.:flag:

Thank you.

Kurokawa
10-22-09, 08:42 PM
For me, there's a lot of reasons, but for specifically the Marines instead of the other branches:

Pride:
The Marines are the best, and I don't like doing anything half-assed or being second in something.

Brotherhood and Legacy:
The Marines are one of the largest groups of people that become a "family" after you earn your title, the other branches don't match the level the Marines have of that. As for Legacy: besides the legacy of the Corps, there's also the fact of "Once a Marine, always a Marine". Once I earn my title I can call myself a Marine for life, where-as my friend in Army ROTC will only be able to say that he "served in the Army".

There's more, but that about sums up a lot of it.

BruceLee
10-22-09, 08:51 PM
For me, there's a lot of reasons, but for specifically the Marines instead of the other branches:

Pride:
The Marines are the best, and I don't like doing anything half-assed or being second in something.

Brotherhood and Legacy:
The Marines are one of the largest groups of people that become a "family" after you earn your title, the other branches don't match the level the Marines have of that. As for Legacy: besides the legacy of the Corps, there's also the fact of "Once a Marine, always a Marine". Once I earn my title I can call myself a Marine for life, where-as my friend in Army ROTC will only be able to say that he "served in the Army".

There's more, but that about sums up a lot of it.

I feel you man,For me its about earning that title no other branch has that

AAA
10-22-09, 09:36 PM
There are a lot of reasons but the most important ones are: turn all of your weakness to strength, Be the best, and See the world, brotherhood.

Capital M
10-22-09, 10:43 PM
To Live The Dream

cflem1318
10-23-09, 11:11 AM
I have a few. I wanted to be in some sort of criminal justice career and thought this would help since going to college at this time wasn't working for me. But more of the main reason is my Grandfather is a Marine and I have always looked up to him. Seeing him always standing tall and how if he ever saw someone with a Marine shirt on or hat he would go over and talk to the Marine like they had always been friends and he always says it was the most life changing thing he had ever done. I also wanted to gain that self-confidence like him!

gonzo4
10-23-09, 11:18 AM
To be a bad*** DUH!!! But seriosuly, it's doing things my friends can only dream about. About serving my country, so my college friends don't have to. To get discipline, experience, and that bond. There are some things in life you have the opportunity to do or not to do. Doing this is going to be a challenge and hard but the rewards are amazing. PLUS, all those tasty male Marines in uniform. JK

Underoathed
10-23-09, 12:01 PM
I joined because it's something I've always wanted to do after I saw my brother graduate from bootcamp 4 years ago. I've never been more motivated to do something than to earn the title Marine. I love the brotherhood and how Marines always take care of each other and the sense of pride from earning the title Marine...something that can NEVER be taken away from you. I also wanted to serve my country...this is the best way I thought how.

Can't wait to leave!

Knudsen
10-24-09, 03:17 PM
I have always known I wanted to join the military. Not knowing what branch, I went and got a bunch of pamphlets of the four U.S. Military Branches. While the Army, Navy, and Air Force filled there pamphlets with all the benefits and money you will get in their programs, the Marine Corps one just said "Do you have what it takes?" I knew from that point it would be the Marine Corps. To be the best, you have to join the best.

sparkie
10-24-09, 03:49 PM
I have always known I wanted to join the military. Not knowing what branch, I went and got a bunch of pamphlets of the four U.S. Military Branches. While the Army, Navy, and Air Force filled there pamphlets with all the benefits and money you will get in their programs, the Marine Corps one just said "Do you have what it takes?" I knew from that point it would be the Marine Corps. To be the best, you have to join the best.

Yep,,,,Money doesn't buy everything. :iwo:

derikdrock1989
10-24-09, 04:34 PM
I joined to be apart of something that is greater than me. To be given the chance to live my life to a higher standards then the rest of the population. I want to be able to go to sleep at night not thinking or wondering, but KNOWING that i am one of the few and the elite. If i graduate, i will always be able to say that i am not oridinary.

Enrique2010
10-26-09, 01:52 AM

Did you read my mind? haha I was first sitting in my counselors office when I seen this. That was back in 06 though lol.

iljw
10-27-09, 12:05 AM
service to the US of A. if your gonna serve, serve with the best. if im in combat i want to know that the guy covering my rear has the best training in the world.
army is great but there is one thing they cant offer... the title of UNITED STATES MARINE! and the pride and camaraderie that comes with it.

OneRadRudeBoy
10-27-09, 04:50 PM
Direction
Discipline
Leadership skills
Not feeling like a loser anymore
Getting out of my parents house
Seeing anywhere besides the United States
The ability to say, "Yes, I am a U.S. Marine"
Marksmanship
To prove that there ARE atheists in foxholes.

among many other reasons that are either too long or I can't necessarily disclose publicly

trmptplyr
10-27-09, 06:04 PM
Other than chicks and guns (jk:)), I decided to enlist in the Marine Corps for a number of reasons. For one, the Corps embodies the values I try to live my life by; excellence, loyalty, honesty, leadership. I was also extremely impressed by the Marine recruiters compared to the other services I talked to. Their enthusiasm, professionalism, and efficiency were heads and tales beyond what I observed elsewhere. And in addition to all that, the Marine Corps is giving me the opportunity to do what I love to do most as a profession.

eleventen32
10-27-09, 06:34 PM
I joined for many reasons. I want to earn everything I get in life. When my life is near over I want to look back and know that I did everything I could to the best of my ability. I don't want to waste another moment of my life.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

I want to serve my country and the Marine Corps is by far my favorite branch of service. I can't wait to be part of an American tradition that has defended our country so proudly.

I don't know about everybody else on this forum but it feels as if we Americans are losing our pride in our country and our faith in God. I want to uphold our values as Americans, that are founding fathers established.

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines

OneRadRudeBoy
10-27-09, 11:01 PM
... resisting... urge... to debate... hah, just kidding man, if that's how you see it, go for it.

PooleeFiechter
11-08-09, 01:07 AM
To think I almost joined the national guard, I look back and see that I have come a long way from there. I was days away from enlisting in the guard when I stopped and said no, this isn't right. I need something with more of a challenge and a much better title. It took me 6 months to figure out that it had to be the Marines. Its been exactly 2 years to the week since I wanted to officially join the Military, and I can guarentee you that two years ago I would have said never in a million years would I join the Marines, but here I am three months away from boot and motivated as hell.

BruceLee
11-08-09, 02:15 PM
To think I almost joined the national guard, I look back and see that I have come a long way from there. I was days away from enlisting in the guard when I stopped and said no, this isn't right. I need something with more of a challenge and a much better title. It took me 6 months to figure out that it had to be the Marines. Its been exactly 2 years to the week since I wanted to officially join the Military, and I can guarentee you that two years ago I would have said never in a million years would I join the Marines, but here I am three months away from boot and motivated as hell.
You can take a look at us and see we're MOTIVATED,
You can take a look at us you know we're DEDICATED,

iljw
11-08-09, 02:36 PM
I wish i rated to say a certain word starting with OO having an R in the middle and ending with AH. But I don't. All i can say is that the Marines are MORE than where its at. All the poolees I have talked to have had three things in common: motivation, extreme loyalty and a deep patriotism. Not to talk down the other branches but when I was talking to my recruiter he said 'If you want signing bonuses, there is an army recruiter right down the hall... if your in it for the money I suggest you go talk to him. But... if you want to be a MARINE... then you and I both know this is where you belong.'