PDA

View Full Version : In college...Officer School?

eboggs
10-20-09, 05:17 PM
Hi Marines,

Im 18, currently attending a two year college for gen. eds. then will be switching to a four year for get my bachelors... im a Freshman. I was going to enlist in the Marine Corps as a senior in high school, but didnt. I regret it. Honestly not a day goes by i dont think about it. Now im looking at being an Officer. I think ive read somewhere where i attend OCS? is that correct? between my Junior and Senior year? then decide if i want to be an Officer in the United States Marine Corps?

Also, I am looking into an Infantry Officer. Anyone here have Experience? :)....I remember talking to the local Recruiter and he told me Being an Officer is all Political and arent very liked by the Enlisted men.

Thanks for your help, and service.

Ethan

Bdchi1
10-20-09, 05:35 PM
The following steps were pulled from a general site but it gives you the jist. As for enlisted not liking officers, I liked and respected every PC and CC I served with. Your recruiter doesn't make his/her quota if you go OCS...so keep that in mind.

* Step 1
Decide if you want to be an officer in the United States Marine Corps. All Marines are infantry officers first, but the possibilities go well beyond that to include pilots, tank commanders, artillery officers and others.
*Step 2
Find out about the four main ways to become a Marine officer. The options include the United States Naval Academy, NROTC Marine Option, Platoon Leaders Class and the Officer Candidate Course.
*Step 3
Ensure you meet the basic eligibility requirements such being a U.S. citizen, passing the medical exam and meeting the age limits. The requirements vary with different commissioning paths. Some may include GPA or SAT requirements.
*Step 4
Figure out where you want to go to college. If you are interested in Navy ROTC make sure that the school (http://www.ehow.com/how_2043393_become-marine-officer.html#) you wish to attend has a program. You may apply to the Naval Academy and for a NROTC scholarship.
*Step 5
Apply to college. You must go to college to enter one of these programs. The Platoon Leaders Course takes place in the summers while you are a college student (http://www.ehow.com/how_2043393_become-marine-officer.html#).
*Step 6
Get in top physical condition. The Marines pride themselves on being in top shape. The training programs are designed to be physically rigorous.
*Step 7
Begin your application process on line at the Marine Corps website or speak with an Officer Selection Officer.

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 05:47 PM
Try this site, hope it helps.
Marine Officer
http://officer.marines.com/
Also, try using the search bar too at the top right of the page on wanting to become a Marine Corps Officer. There are other topics out there on this.

eboggs
10-20-09, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the help, Im doing my best to look into my options, and to find the best path for me.

Ethan

eboggs
10-20-09, 06:01 PM
One question i cant find though, right now im at a 2 year college. Also, is has no NROTC..."Platoon Leaders Class and the Officer Candidate Course"...these are the two im looking into. Ive read the info on them but, still dont quite grasp it. I go off to training between college years. Do you still attend Bootcamp After College? or?

I will be transferring to a four year college after my associates degree.. its just cheaper for me this way.

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 06:35 PM
There's not to many Officers that are on board here, so you may want to visit your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer). He/She can tell you all about the opportunities and advantages of becoming a Marine Officer.

eboggs
10-20-09, 06:49 PM
Thank you

DIBLO7
10-21-09, 10:31 AM
If you've already got two years done, than you are going to want to do PLC or OCC. PLC is when you go to OCS (officer bootcamp) between your junior and senior year for 6 weeks, then 6 more weeks after your senior year. OCC is when you have your 4 year degree and you go for one 10 week OCS course.

For the NROTC you would want to put in for the scholarship. If you get it your school is paid for so cost shouldn't be an issue. Also, you would get a small living stipend on top of that. OCS for the NROTC Midshipmen is one 6 week course between their junior and senior year.