PDA

View Full Version : i need help with my run time and stradegy

nmcdade999
10-18-09, 09:31 PM
right now i can run mile and half in 12 minutes, i obviously want to lower the time on that because thats the area where i need work and i really want to get a perfect PFT. I usually did treadmill, eliptical workouts but now im outside running. should i run a mile at least 5 days a week?

Mile 1/2- 12min
Pullups- 20
situps- 80

ship date- November 16, 2009

MarinesFTW
10-18-09, 10:10 PM
You should run 3 miles 2-3 days a week and then the other 2-3 days fill it with sprints.

Capital M
10-18-09, 10:18 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81930

there ya go

Jensen139
10-18-09, 10:40 PM
personally I wouldn't run more than 3 times a week. However I am sold on Crossfit so that is what my PT is 5 days a week. www.crossfit.com

1 longer run 4-5 miles

4-6 400m sprints with 2-3 minutes rest between sprints

1 mile @ as fast as possible rest as needed repeat 2 more times.

nmcdade999
10-19-09, 01:20 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81930

there ya go
thanks man this seems like something that will help me
I'm gunna try my best to do this workout

Capital M
10-19-09, 08:55 AM
Take it easy. Cut the miles in half. If your having trouble running, you shouldn't be going out and running 4-5 miles. try 2-3 miles. For Wed/Sat.

Remember to stretch. Don't go get tendinitis. It's a *****

nmcdade999
10-20-09, 01:29 AM
alright i will thanks man, and then next week should i do 3-4 miles for wed/sat

LJ27
10-20-09, 01:48 AM
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

This lets you put in your running time and how many miles you wanna run a week then it gives you a day by day routine. I havent started it yet but im going to next week. My run time is not that great either.

Capital M
10-20-09, 01:34 PM
alright i will thanks man, and then next week should i do 3-4 miles for wed/sat

No. spend a couple of weeks doing 2-3. You may feel ready but your hips/knees/shins may not be. If you can run 3 miles no problem then go for it, just make sure you follow that schedule, decide on a distance, change only when it says change, and rest when it says rest.

Cressler
10-20-09, 03:14 PM
and spelling :p stratagy

AAA
10-22-09, 12:39 PM
Remember to stretch before and after you run for building distance try running further at a slower pace. Also I recommend running as fast as possible for a mile or so at the beginning or the end of the run. Remember to make your legs stronger with squats or something to.

OneRadRudeBoy
10-22-09, 05:09 PM
Take it easy. Cut the miles in half. If your having trouble running, you shouldn't be going out and running 4-5 miles. try 2-3 miles. For Wed/Sat.

Remember to stretch. Don't go get tendinitis. It's a *****

actually, stretching isn't really recommended from what I've heard.

usually you want to start with a brisk walk and high knees and a$$ kickers, until you get to your start point.

what I do is I make my start point about 50 yards from my house.

Gerken
10-22-09, 10:18 PM
The time will eventually come off, just make sure to run everyday or every otherday, like switch it up, and do slow jogs for 3+ miles, or hard runs from 1-3 miles. This is what I do with my recruiter every morning, also running up hills helps alot.

Underoathed
10-23-09, 12:09 PM
Stretching should happen after warming your muscles otherwise bad things could happen before you even start working out.

Do what are called "fartleks" If you have a track near by or even just city blocks and stuff or parking lots...etc. What you do is sprint the straight aways and jog the curves or sprint/fast run for 20 or so seconds and then jog for 20-30 seconds and just keep running. It will help with endurance and speed. And in between days that 2-3 mile thing seems to work pretty well. Don't overdo it, results come gradually.

I don't know, that worked for me. Our recruiter told us to do fartleks.

Jensen139
10-23-09, 02:43 PM
Static stretching should only happen after workouts, PNF stretching would be ideal post workout. Look into it its good stuff. Use dynamic stretching to get warmed up and ready for your workouts.

AAA
10-28-09, 12:00 PM
actually, stretching isn't really recommended from what I've heard.

usually you want to start with a brisk walk and high knees and a$$ kickers, until you get to your start point.

what I do is I make my start point about 50 yards from my house.

That is a form of dynamic stretching and a great addition. But both static and PNF stretches should be done before and after running. Usually I warm up with side straddle hops before I do anything. Remember to take day training breaks every so often to avoid burnout.

nmcdade999
10-28-09, 03:53 PM
Remember to stretch before and after you run for building distance try running further at a slower pace. Also I recommend running as fast as possible for a mile or so at the beginning or the end of the run. Remember to make your legs stronger with squats or something to.
hmm i always stretch be4 and sometimes if i run really long distance ill stretch afterwards...but yeah this is also good advice here....one out of the 5 days that im at the gym i do leg workouts like leg presses, ham curls, calf raises, etc, i cant do squats tho, i got a crooked back and sometimes it hurts too much

AAA
10-29-09, 12:15 PM
squats have definite benefits to help with running I have done many unweighted like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSVpo4mzNI
Also train more than once every five days,
on my longer runs I even stop half way to stretch.

Finkel10
11-02-09, 03:09 PM
Didnt you get a training guide when you dep'd in that can help you out too if you read it, also while your running rotate from jog, full sprint , to walk and keep that in a rotation