PDA

View Full Version : My situation.

RcoLe
10-15-09, 03:19 PM
I enlisted on June 7th without any guarantee on a job, so I think I signed on an "open contract" if that's correct. A few days later I gave my recruiter my three job choices. They were:

1. Military Police
2. Marine Corps Security Forces
3. A tech job that required a passing score on the D-Lab, and I never took the D-Lab because I was hoping for either of the other two choices. I think this is what the third option was, or it may have actually been infantry.

So October 14th rolls around, and I get a text from my recruiter saying this "Your program came through. You got the infantry option with a 7,500 dollar bonus." So I was thinking, but I never told him that as a job choice. So I text him saying "What infantry option exactly?" and he replies saying it's a regular infantry program with a bonus. And there were no security forces or military police programs available. He says I can still apply for security forces or Marine security guard in MOS school through this program. Now the reason for sharing this with you guys is to get some advice, and to see how I stack up against other people who are going infantry, and how good this bonus actually is, or if you get bonuses for infantry at all. Not that I care about money, because come on, I joined the Marine Corps right.

From many other threads that I've searched on the internet it looks like it's actually hard to get into infantry, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but that's why I'm asking all these things. I see posts like NEVER sign with an open contract, because you could get stuck with something you don't want.

In short:
Can I apply for Marine Corps Security Forces at SOI?
How many can tell me that Military Police is really not available?
How well does the infantry bonus stack up with other infantry poolees? He may have thought it would be a good job for me, if in fact it is as difficult to get into infantry as I have read.

Any feedback, and advice helps thanks!

coolfir3pwnz
10-16-09, 02:47 PM
You can lat move into an MOS of your choosing after 2 years. If MP isn't available, then there's nothing anyone can do. It's just not available because someone else took it.

I'm not 03XX nor did I receive a bonus so I wouldn't know about that last part, lol.

Capital M
10-16-09, 03:32 PM
Be lucky that you even got a bonus, let alone an infantry bonus. I would just take it without complaints. Security forces is just a 5 year infantry contract, but you spend the first two guarding something

Like coolfire said, you can lat move after 2.

Just be happy you got a job with a bonus

RcoLe
10-16-09, 07:02 PM
Yeah for sure, I'm happy with what ever I get. I was just curious why he found me an infantry spot with a bonus, and if that was normal.

sparkie
10-16-09, 07:12 PM
Grunt,,,,, Ground pounder,,,,,, Neanderthol,,,,,, Knuckle walker,,,,,,,,, Yes, even you can lat move, If you're good enough.

Make yourself good.

Freddy90
10-17-09, 03:38 PM
I'de snatch it up...BONUS, 03, there u go, doesnt get any better, unless you for sure dont want 03, then i'de let your recruiter know what job you want and you will wait for it to open. Its your career and your life, BUT theres been alot of recruiters letting go of recruits..for not being in shape, being to picky, or just anything...because people are signing up like crazy now, but recruiters are there for two things, to find people, and to find them the career they desire. Infrantry hard to get into..?? For me it was easy as pie i signed up at the RIGHT moment but some other polee's LMAO they have to wait until next year and they have been there longer than I.. so i don't know how that happened, as for that bonus i havent hear of any other the 03 polee's at my function getting one. Good luck to you and I hope you get what your looking for.

Kurokawa
10-22-09, 08:27 PM
If it's the 7,500 bonus contract, that means you're signing for a 6 year. I was offered this and took it, since from what I've been hearing: bonuses are as rare as a warm day in the south pole.