PDA

View Full Version : Authorized uniform?....good idea?

josephd
09-24-09, 02:56 AM
I am in the reserves here in AZ and will be going to a career fair tomorrow geared toward and set up for military members and veterans.

I know I am authorized to wear my service charlies and blue deltas as leave/liberty uniform but is it authorized for me to be wearing either one to a job/career fair?....even if it is do any of you other Marines think its a good idea?

I did a search on this all over here and Google but really didn't find a good answer

RYDERKUR
09-24-09, 06:10 AM
No, it's not allowed to wear it to private job fairs and interviews. Plus, why would you want to when it's set for vets, your NSD ribbon going to swoon all the employers?

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 07:17 AM
According to the MCO, you are right that the uniforms are authorized for leave and liberty. There is nothing in the order that states you can not wear it to the Job Fair. The decission is yours.

Alisium
09-24-09, 08:10 AM
If that's the best you have then wear them. I would. In the future, I would invest in at least one good suit, though. Most employers will appreciate your military background, however, they'll want to see how you in their "uniform". There's a difference between military and "professional" in the civilian world. A professional gets a proper civilian suit. Wear a suit.

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:23 AM
No, it's not allowed to wear it to private job fairs and interviews. Plus, why would you want to when it's set for vets, your NSD ribbon going to swoon all the employers?

Yes technically he could wear them, however its not a good idea to. On another note who ****ed in your cherrios, he said the job fair was for military and vets, that includes active and reserve. Reservists have to have a civilian job, they don't make active duty pay. Plus the whole NDSM comment was a little uncalled for what the heck does that have to do with getting a job. I bet you put in your resume that you have a National Defense Service Medal. Semper Fi:iwo:

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:24 AM
If that's the best you have then wear them. I would. In the future, I would invest in at least one good suit, though. Most employers will appreciate your military background, however, they'll want to see how you in their "uniform". There's a difference between military and "professional" in the civilian world. A professional gets a proper civilian suit. Wear a suit.

Agreed suit and tie is always the way to go in the civilian world.:D

NoRemorse
09-24-09, 08:28 AM
Agreed suit and tie is always the way to go in the civilian world.:D

What? No bow ties?

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 08:30 AM
Yes technically he could wear them, however its not a good idea to. On another note who ****ed in your cherrios, he said the job fair was for military and vets, that includes active and reserve. Reservists have to have a civilian job, they don't make active duty pay. Plus the whole NDSM comment was a little uncalled for what the heck does that have to do with getting a job. I bet you put in your resume that you have a National Defense Service Medal. Semper Fi:iwo:

That was the LCpl flexing his power over the PFC.

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:37 AM
That was the LCpl flexing his power over the PFC.

Agreed Gunny, wasn't trying to come off sounding harsh, but I still stand by my statement. I think the way he said it was in a way that the PFC would have taken it out of context or incorrectly. You know the whole someone said one thing, and someone else said another thing. Next thing we know the PFC is all jacked up:D.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 08:40 AM
Agreed Gunny, wasn't trying to come off sounding harsh, but I still stand by my statement. I think the way he said it was in a way that the PFC would have taken it out of context or incorrectly. You know the whole someone said one thing, and someone else said another thing. Next thing we know the PFC is all jacked up:D.

That wasn't intended for you. The LCpl that replied first was wrong and seemed to be flexing his muscle when he saw a junior Marine. And I agree with a suit and tie. I never owned a suit and tie for over 20 yrs except for my Alpha's. Bought 3 of them when I was getting close to retirement.

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:42 AM
That wasn't intended for you. The LCpl that replied first was wrong and seemed to be flexing his muscle when he saw a junior Marine. And I agree with a suit and tie. I never owned a suit and tie for over 20 yrs except for my Alpha's. Bought 3 of them when I was getting close to retirement.

Roger that Gunny:D, there for a minute I thought I was going to have to haze myself:D

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 08:44 AM
Roger that Gunny:D, there for a minute I thought I was going to have to haze myself:D

RYDERKUR needs to haze himself for passing bumb-scoop.

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:46 AM
Betcha this PFC will comeback and be like wtf happened to this thread:D, especially when NoRemorse is talking about where a bow tie like he's some kinda Chip and Dale male stripper ROFL!!

Quinbo
09-24-09, 08:47 AM
Nothing wrong with wearing charlies or deltas or alphas for that matter any where the hell you please. The thing you must avoid is making any official statements or even personal statements while wearing the uniform. I can't picture myself going to a job fair in chucks but knock yourself out it won't hurt nothin.

Petz
09-24-09, 08:53 AM
I don't think it'll get you any extra points. I have 9 ribbons on my stack and all it does it make people look at my man tits.

Just go in a good casual dress or suit.

NoRemorse
09-24-09, 08:56 AM
Betcha this PFC will comeback and be like wtf happened to this thread:D, especially when NoRemorse is talking about where a bow tie like he's some kinda Chip and Dale male stripper ROFL!!

Dress for success and only work with women :marine:

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 08:59 AM
Dress for success and only work with women :marine:

Now thats professionalism right there :D

RYDERKUR
09-24-09, 09:16 AM
11002. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVES PERTAINING TO UNIFORMS
1. Implementing 10 U.S.C. 772, the President, by Executive Order 10554 of 18 August 1954, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe regulations under which persons may wear the uniform. The following excerpts from DoD Directive 1334.1 of 11 August 1969 outline these regulations:

"a. Members of the Armed Forces (including retired members and members of reserve components). The wearing of the uniform is prohibited under any of the following circumstances:

(1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of persons which the Attorney Generalof the United States has designated, pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their rights under The Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.
(2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.
(3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.
(4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon the Armed Forces.
(5) When specifically prohibited by regulations of the department concerned.

RYDERKUR
09-24-09, 09:18 AM
And yes Gunny, the little NSD ribbon joke was a little jab, but at the same time I realize I don't have jack compared to you either, because you are a badass mother f'er. Semper Fi

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 09:21 AM
1. Implementing 10 U.S.C. 772, the President, by Executive Order 10554 of 18 August 1954, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe regulations under which persons may wear the uniform. The following excerpts from DoD Directive 1334.1 of 11 August 1969 outline these regulations:

"a. Members of the Armed Forces (including retired members and members of reserve components). The wearing of the uniform is prohibited under any of the following circumstances:

(1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of persons which the Attorney Generalof the United States has designated, pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their rights under The Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.
(2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.
(3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.
(4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon the Armed Forces.

Talk about digging up the old. As long as the young Devildog follows the MCO's on the wear of our uniforms, he will be fine. Is it the preferred method, no. As mentioned, a suit and tie is the preferred way.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 09:23 AM
And yes Gunny, the little NSD ribbon joke was a little jab, but at the same time I realize I don't have jack compared to you either, because you are a badass mother f'er. Semper Fi

Sarcasm will get you no where with me. Especially on my Xmass card list.:D

Alisium
09-24-09, 09:29 AM

Read the second part of that.

You cannot use your uniform to give (or appear to give) government credentials/approval to a private affair without prior approval from the Marine Corps.

In other words, there Devil Dog, you cannot wear your Dress Blue Deltas while working for Applebee's whilst you wait on tables or at a function where your promoting, say, Microsoft's products at a tech fair.

Looking for a job while representing only yourself is perfectly fine.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 09:31 AM
This is out of the MCO 1020.34G w/ch1-5:

1003. RESTRICTIONS ON WEARING UNIFORMS
1. Members of the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve, including retired Marines, are prohibited from wearing the Marine Corps uniform while engaged in any of the following activities, functions or circumstances unless specifically authorized by the CMC (PA):

a. Soliciting funds for any purpose from the public outside
of a military base or establishment.

b. Participating in any type of show or event which is commercially sponsored for advertising purposes, where it could be implied or construed that the Marine Corps "endorses" the product advertised.

c. "Endorsing" commercial products in such ways as to involve the uniform, title, grade or rate, or in any way establish or imply their military affiliation with such products.

d. Appearing or participating in any event in public that would compromise the dignity of the uniform.

Since he is not doing any of the above, then he can wear the uniform if he so desires.

RYDERKUR
Gunny, with all due respect, I fail to see any sarcasm, unless you are being humble and you don't think of yourself as a BA mother f'er. But really Gunny, you're an awesome Marine, and I have the utmost respect for you
:flag:

ameriken
Agree with the suit and tie and the reasoning being the employer wants to know how well you'll represent them in the civ world.

Alisium
09-24-09, 09:38 AM
First, since you live in the beautiful city of Phoenix with such areas as Tempe full of inhumanly gorgeous college girls, you can go f*ck yourself.

Secondly. I don't know of any "upscale" areas in Phoenix however, if there is one, like La Jolla in SoCal, it might be a bit humbling but not a bad idea to hit a thrift store close by. They usually have the more expensive suits. The kind you would never be able to afford as a college student. They are dirt cheap and in good condition. Cause it's a thrift store near a rich town, get it? Buy it, get it tailored, and you'll look like a million dollars for about $25.

Anything that gives you the edge in this economy or ever.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 09:43 AM
Gunny, with all due respect, I fail to see any sarcasm, unless you are being humble and you don't think of yourself as a BA mother f'er. But really Gunny, you're an awesome Marine, and I have the utmost respect for you
:flag:

Obviously I took you remarks wrong killer. That is usually how people throw around their sarcasm. As for being humble..... I have never been one for drawing attention to myself unless it is during training or times of war. I never needed to be rewarded..... I got that twice a month.:beer:

Supersquishy
09-24-09, 09:43 AM
scottsdale, is a hoydeetoydee town,just right up the road from tempe.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 09:44 AM
Secondly. I don't know of any "upscale" areas in Phoenix however, if there is one, like La Jolla in SoCal, it might be a bit humbling but not a bad idea to hit a thrift store close by. They usually have the more expensive suits. The kind you would never be able to afford as a college student. They are dirt cheap and in good condition. Cause it's a thrift store near a rich town, get it? Buy it, get it tailored, and you'll look like a million dollars for about $25.

Anything that gives you the edge in this economy or ever.

Very good advice. :thumbup:

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 09:58 AM
Sarcasm will get you no where with me. Especially on my Xmass card list.:D

I'll send you a gift basket for xmas Gunny:D

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:03 AM
I'll send you a gift basket for xmas Gunny:D

Your off the list now. :D

Where did my list go.... must be the AAADD kicking in.

NoRemorse
09-24-09, 10:09 AM
Your off the list now. :D

Where did my list go.... must be the AAADD kicking in.

AAADD? Those must be some huge tits.

ameriken
09-24-09, 10:10 AM
I never needed to be rewarded..... I got that twice a month.:beer:You should keep your sex life private! :D

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:11 AM
AAADD? Those must be some huge tits.

I can't remember if they are tits or shoe size.

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:12 AM
You should keep your sex life private! :D

Don't believe me....ask her. :D

ameriken
09-24-09, 10:14 AM
Don't believe me....ask her. :D
Twice a month? Is that what happened when she said she was going to double the sex? :p

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:17 AM
Twice a month? Is that what happened when she said she was going to double the sex? :p

Double my arse..... thats what she said when she agreed to start.:D

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:18 AM
Since this thread has been hijacked and is headed down stream, it needs to be moved to the hooch. :beer:

NoRemorse
09-24-09, 10:23 AM
Downstream? We've already put this thread in the freakin ocean:D

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 10:26 AM

And its Sinking!!!:D

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:26 AM

We are adrift. That PFC that started this thread needs to come back and fix the engine so we can get back on course.

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 10:27 AM
We are adrift. That PFC that started this thread needs to come back and fix the engine so we can get back on course.

The correct term would be bilige pump haha, no sexual humor intended btw:nerd::D

NoRemorse
09-24-09, 10:30 AM
The correct term would be bilige pump haha, no sexual humor intended btw:nerd::D

Well... even if you didn't find out until after that the bilge pump was married its still wrong :confused:

0331 2 0369
09-24-09, 10:32 AM
Well... even if you didn't find out until after that the bilge pump was married its still wrong :confused:
Need to ask Bill and Hillary about that.:D

echo3oscar1833
09-24-09, 10:36 AM

:D This face dont care haha:beer:, besides I was drunk she was drunk, that sounds mutual to me haha

ameriken
09-24-09, 10:38 AM
The correct term would be bilige pump haha, no sexual humor intended btw:nerd::DTime to blow all tanks. And, no sexual humor intended btw. :beer:

josephd
09-24-09, 04:35 PM
thank you for all the replies gentleman, I ended up just wearing nice set of slacks, shirt and tie. I really didn't feel all that comfortable wearing my uniform, even if it was authorized

and to whomever the Marine was that said I live in a crappy town, I technically live in North Scottsdale so I actually live in a VERY VERY nice area of town.

Alisium
09-24-09, 04:46 PM
thank you for all the replies gentleman, I ended up just wearing nice set of slacks, shirt and tie. I really didn't feel all that comfortable wearing my uniform, even if it was authorized

and to whomever the Marine was that said I live in a crappy town, I technically live in North Scottsdale so I actually live in a VERY VERY nice area of town.

I didn't say you live in a crappy town. I said:

First, since you live in the beautiful city of Phoenix with such areas as Tempe full of inhumanly gorgeous college girls, you can go f*ck yourself.

Indicating my jealousy of your situation. I almost went to ASU when I got out. Sometimes, I regret not doing it. I've also been to Phoenix quite a bit. Love it.

Anyhow, good choice and good luck with the job search.

josephd
09-24-09, 05:03 PM
hahaha...sorry about that Cpl. I misread your post.

Thank You

Petz
09-24-09, 08:11 PM
scottsdale, you yuppie!! haha.

kfisbusy
10-17-09, 06:55 AM
:evilgrin:Wearing chucks will not get you the job any faster than wearing a suit and tie. Rember one thing they are looking for someone that can do the job not the uniform. so why are you even asking? All I am saying is wear the uniform that fits the job you are looking for. Do not wear any uniform to inpress anyone and think you will get the job. Hell I hiered a guy wearing a tshirt and jeans when I had my tree service because He could do the fu*king job not because of the clothes he wore. SSGT. Francisco

itzs4m
10-21-09, 12:27 PM
from what i understand isn't the service alpha's considered a "business suit"? and PFC did state that the job fair was for military personnel. it's always handy to have a regular suit in your wardrobe. make sure it's nice and not jacked up.