PDA

View Full Version : Infantry question

shark6485
08-11-03, 04:43 PM
Will failing the color vision test at MEPS disqualify me from becoming an infantry Marine? Are there any infantry mos that you must have perfect color vision for? I really want to be an 0311 but any infantry mos will do. Basically, is color vision a show-stopper? Thanks.

GunsUp
08-11-03, 04:53 PM
No... I think the only MOS that requires perfect color vision is that of pilots and air crew but I'm not too clear on that, I was a machinegunner.

Any recruiters want to respond?

Dale Harbert
08-11-03, 07:30 PM
Being an Infantry/Weapons Instructor at the School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton for a few years I can tell you that I know that the only 2 MOS's that I know of that you need perfect color vision for is 0351 and 0352.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-11-03, 10:28 PM
There are several MOS's that you need normal color vision for. Some of them would surprise you, others make sense I suppose. Being color blind myself, I find the rules to be highly suspect at times. It seems that the people making the rules don't really understand what color vision problems really mean. The one thing I did find difficult was reading maps with a red lense flash light. The colors did run together then.
That being said, according to about.com, the only infantry MOS you can't have if color blind is 0351. Good luck to you.

top1371
08-11-03, 11:30 PM
Actually, if you goto about.com it says 0321, 0351 and 0352 must have normal color vision.

Funny thing, when I enlisted I passed the color test with flying colors... no pun intended... when I took my seps physical I could hardly make out the colors.... old age..

Semper Fi,

yellowwing
08-12-03, 12:35 AM
0351-52 are missile grunts. I can see being able to differentiate between the color coded rounds. But weren't there sea stories about color blind individuals being able to see through camoulflage nets and such?

Anyone with the brass b*lls to go 1 on 1 with a tank or fortified bunker can drink with me any day! I'll buy.

cjdoyle
08-12-03, 01:03 AM
HEY SHARK
IF YOU LOOK UP ONLINE MARINE CORPS ORDER P1200 .7X.
WHICH IS THE MOS MANUAL AND IS UNRESTRICTED FOR RELEASE
THEY LIST ALL MOS'S IN THE GREAT CORP AND WILL ANSWER ALL OF YOU QUESTIONS

CPL DOYLE

Sixguns
08-12-03, 04:59 AM
MOS manual is OK, but you really need the MPPM and Recruiting Service's Program Books to understand the current requirements for the program guarantees and MOSs you may choose to enter. Remember the Corps does not guarantee specific MOSs, but rather a program option. This means you must qualify for the MOS's within the option, not just the one you want. Please check with your recruiter for current requirements.

SF,

SIXGUNS

MARIN
08-18-03, 01:10 AM
HI

Lock-n-Load
08-18-03, 04:51 AM
:marine:At my initial Navy physical at the Federal Building in Boston, I couldn't see the number scheme for color blindness test...that deficiency never got in the way of me getting my fair share of gooks in North Korea later on. :marine:

offhand200
08-19-03, 09:28 PM
Well I can only tell you this. I'm an 0311 and I know some 0311's that are color blind