PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for future recruits. (Especially females!)

introspect
09-20-09, 06:08 AM
Just graduated this past friday 4th RTBN Papa Co. PLT 4028

I will answer any and all questions(that aren't way out there of course), especially to the females, I know when I shipped I didn't have any idea about everything since I was always surrounded by male Marines in my RSS.

Some tips that pop up into my head are as follows

-Don't be the idiot that brings a bag or brings a Marines T-shirt on. They will tell you, you don't rate. Wear a nice polo with a belt and some jeans without holes. You're going to become a Marine, might as well dress like one and not be eccentric.

-Don't take food out of the chowhall!! Obvious right? We had so many -_-

-When you know you have PT, start hydrating the day before, don't try to chug your canteens before the PT sessions all that's guna do is make you have to go pee and you won't be able to give it your all because you'll feel uncomfortable with your bladder full.

-They tell you to drink 12 canteens a day but I found that SO hard to do until I got to the crucible. It's so important once you get to the crucible be drinking 12-14 canteens and one gatorade cup per canteen of water. For the rest of boot camp, by all means try to get all of your canteens in especially if you have a hike or PT the next day, but I know I never got to 12 just 7-8 but really, stay hydrated.

-Hiking was the worst for me. I was the shortest girl in my platoon. I strongly recommend getting a big pack and sticking sandbags in it and maybe some boots or something and power walk with it. I thought hiking would be going through woods or mountains but no it's going 3-9 miles at a time down the street in a really fast pace. It gets your heart pumping like running does. So it does build up your run, but it was just harder for me because I'm used to taking shorter steps. (If you're short practice on large strides instead of short quick steps)

-Speed, Volume, Intensity. I know you've all heard this before but it goes such a long way, seriously. Don't doubt yourself either. Be freaking confident. If you're wrong be freaking confidently wrong! That's what your drill instructors want to see I promise you. Move quick and be loud and confident. Seriously. That's the secret to boot camp.

Hopefully I didn't give too much away. Any other questions on this or whatever just PM me or post here.

Semper Fi

Underdawg
09-20-09, 06:25 AM
Wow!

First off congrats Marine, and second, thank you for making this thread. I'm headed off to work, but I will think of a few questions through out the day, and post them here later on. I ship out next month, I cant wait.

introspect
09-20-09, 08:10 AM
Not a problem! You're in for a big ride :) just saying. Good luck poolee.

Yojimbo
09-20-09, 02:18 PM
Congratulations Marine and thank you.

SlingerDun
09-20-09, 04:26 PM
Well done Marine, feels great huh!

-Don't take food out of the chowhall!! Obvious right? We had so many -_-Wow the cooking must have really improved to incite such chow theft.

--->Dave

cheerwine09
09-20-09, 04:49 PM
hey introspect, sucked we had our graduation inside.
But as my Drill Instructors said it was the Mike Co curse. My senior drill instructor has been through 10 cycles and has yet to have one outside with Mike Co.

but hey i noticed i have the same mos as you, are you going straight to mct or getting any recruiter assistance

by the way i was Mike co Plt 3073

semper fi

Lisa 23
09-20-09, 04:58 PM
hey introspect, sucked we had our graduation inside.
But as my Drill Instructors said it was the Mike Co curse. My senior drill instructor has been through 10 cycles and has yet to have one outside with Mike Co.

but hey i noticed i have the same mos as you, are you going straight to mct or getting any recruiter assistance

by the way i was Mike co Plt 3073

semper fi

CONGRATS to you on EARNING the title! :usmc:
You may want to update your profile, PM thedrifter so she can change your status from Poolee to Marine...and Semper Fi should be capitalized!

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 05:03 PM
Many congrats.

This is a fascinating and really useful thread.:banana::thumbup:

cheerwine09
09-20-09, 06:08 PM
CONGRATS to you on EARNING the title! :usmc:
You may want to update your profile, PM thedrifter so she can change your status from Poolee to Marine...and Semper Fi should be capitalized!

thank you mama for the correction

as for getting my status changed i have pm'd 2 of the mods yesterday but they have not changed it yet not sure why

Lisa 23
09-20-09, 07:05 PM
thank you mama for the correction

as for getting my status changed i have pm'd 2 of the mods yesterday but they have not changed it yet not sure why

Mama???:mad: I don't think so.
Check the attitude at the door there young man. You're fresh out of boot camp, and I know you learned RESPECT towards ALL Marines, past & present while you were there!!!
Either "mama" is a typo on your part, and if it is, I will apologize for the attitude check, or you are just being sarcastic, which is a no-no to former Marines.
Update your profile there Marine.

cheerwine09
09-20-09, 07:26 PM
it was a typo.
I have to say im not to use to typeing like i use to be

and yes i was taught respect from day one and i have the upmost respect for Marines that have came before me

Lisa 23
09-20-09, 07:36 PM
it was a typo.
I have to say im not to use to typeing like i use to be

and yes i was taught respect from day one and i have the upmost respect for Marines that have came before me

Then, my apologies....and you don't need a mod to update your profile, you can do that yourself. It would be a good thing for you to do that!

introspect
09-20-09, 08:39 PM
I got scared when I read "mama" too. Lol, thought the new Marine was getting inline for a roast fest by all the former Marines :p

I really wanted the outside graduation it was so much less... boring.. plus my feet were KILLING me standing still for so long lol. But it's all worth it we're Marines now :)

I'm going straight to MCT, no recruiter's assistance for me. Do you know where our school is at? Just found out I had this MOS like the day before graduation don't know much about it!

cheerwine09
09-21-09, 11:05 AM
yea the outside grad would have been great getting to march by all in step

as far as our school from what i have read on here it looks like it is in 29palms which sucks cause thats on the complete opposite side of the country for me. but mct is close to home

and how do i change mine i cant figure it out

introspect
09-21-09, 12:36 PM
PM jinelson or thedrifter for the change..

Same for me though, I'm from Florida and I wanted my MOS school to be in Pensacola but no luck :[ I heard 29 Palms wasn't bad as long as you have a POV

MMAfan1775
09-21-09, 09:05 PM
Congrats Marine, We graduated together, I was in plt. 3072 Mike Co. lol. The indoor grad sucked.

cheerwine09
09-25-09, 09:39 PM
PM jinelson or thedrifter for the change..

Same for me though, I'm from Florida and I wanted my MOS school to be in Pensacola but no luck :[ I heard 29 Palms wasn't bad as long as you have a POV

I was really hopeing to get Pensacola as well, cause i have family all over FL and all over GA.

As far as 29 Palms haveing a POV would be nice but guess I would have to get one when I get out there.

MMA whats your name man.

wmarinepfd
11-24-09, 07:41 AM
Just graduated this past friday 4th RTBN Papa Co. PLT 4028

I will answer any and all questions(that aren't way out there of course), especially to the females, I know when I shipped I didn't have any idea about everything since I was always surrounded by male Marines in my RSS.

Some tips that pop up into my head are as follows

-Don't be the idiot that brings a bag or brings a Marines T-shirt on. They will tell you, you don't rate. Wear a nice polo with a belt and some jeans without holes. You're going to become a Marine, might as well dress like one and not be eccentric.

-Don't take food out of the chowhall!! Obvious right? We had so many -_-

-When you know you have PT, start hydrating the day before, don't try to chug your canteens before the PT sessions all that's guna do is make you have to go pee and you won't be able to give it your all because you'll feel uncomfortable with your bladder full.

-They tell you to drink 12 canteens a day but I found that SO hard to do until I got to the crucible. It's so important once you get to the crucible be drinking 12-14 canteens and one gatorade cup per canteen of water. For the rest of boot camp, by all means try to get all of your canteens in especially if you have a hike or PT the next day, but I know I never got to 12 just 7-8 but really, stay hydrated.

-Hiking was the worst for me. I was the shortest girl in my platoon. I strongly recommend getting a big pack and sticking sandbags in it and maybe some boots or something and power walk with it. I thought hiking would be going through woods or mountains but no it's going 3-9 miles at a time down the street in a really fast pace. It gets your heart pumping like running does. So it does build up your run, but it was just harder for me because I'm used to taking shorter steps. (If you're short practice on large strides instead of short quick steps)

-Speed, Volume, Intensity. I know you've all heard this before but it goes such a long way, seriously. Don't doubt yourself either. Be freaking confident. If you're wrong be freaking confidently wrong! That's what your drill instructors want to see I promise you. Move quick and be loud and confident. Seriously. That's the secret to boot camp.

Hopefully I didn't give too much away. Any other questions on this or whatever just PM me or post here.

Semper Fi

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SISTAAAAAAAAAAA wats up girl...how u doing...i'm at camp johnson right now. MOS school for 3043....i grad Dec 18 and am heading of to Cherry Point.... I'm a scribe here...lol...boot camp was a joke... i think....i was always that one at bootcamp b/c senior didnt like me... but i'm very well liked out here and even hold a scribe billet...My Plt advisor is looking to see if i can get lcpl meritoriously out of Mos school. He's always like DaCosta your gonna get lcpl right...lol...boot camp was a joke b/c they had their favorites and that was it... Wish u luck sista and remember HASU (Hook A Sista Up)...i'm here for u girl!!!!