PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong Pull Up Program

HookNLadder
09-14-09, 11:31 PM
I started this plan today. It promises 20 pull ups in 8 weeks. Baloney or bacon we will see? When I DEPed (20090417) in I couldn't do one proper pull up. Now i am up to 7-8, my goal is 20 and I have about 10 weeks left (20091207). I'll be posting my progress. Are any of you dreamers crazy enough to join me?

Armstrong Pull Up Program (http://manlypat.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/armstrong-pull-up-program/)

I received this awesome workout from my recruiter, like most Marine officers, a fitness god. Many of the candidates I know use this, so hopefully some of you will see success with it. I know it’s a long read, but well worth it. Enjoy:
Armstrong Pull-up Program

1. This program was used by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong, USMC to prepare himself to attempt to set a world record in number of pull-ups completed in a single exercise session. The program provides the necessities for successful physical improvement namely, VARIETY, OVERLOAD, and REGULARITY. Users have achieved remarkable results in only 6 to 8 weeks. This means that most, if not all, have been able to meet the performance level they have set out to achieve, a single set of twenty repetitions.
http://www.clemsonmarines.com/wp-content/pt1.jpg (http://manlypat.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/armstrong-pull-up-program/) Armstrong Pull Up Program

It can not be overemphasized that his program depends upon regularity. Daily performance of the exercises listed in the following paragraphs holds the true key to reaching and to maintaining the twenty repetition level.
The Morning Routine

Each morning perform three maximum effort sets of normal pushups. The pushup is one of the best, single exercises for strengthening the entire set of muscles that makes up the shoulder girdle. Major Armstrong described his morning routine in the following manner. “After rising, I would drop onto the deck and do my first set of pushups. I would then move into the head (bathroom) and start my morning toilet. I would return after a few minutes and do my second maximum effort set after which, I would go back into the head to shave. After shaving, I would return to the bedroom and complete the third and final set. Having completed all of the pushups, I was awake and ready for a relaxing shower. “
This routine should be followed during the entire training period. Since it takes most of us at least four weeks to reach our goals, you will probably find that you have inadvertently established a morning routine that is easy enough to keep as a lifetime habit, if not, you will at least appreciate the morning shower a little more.
It has been noted that this pushup routine helps to alleviate any soreness during the first couple of weeks. It is recommended that you use the pushup routine everyday during this period so that you feel more comfortable during your initial adjustment to this regime of exercises.

Training Routines

The following represents the heart of the training program. I recommend that you do not attempt the pull-ups until 3 or 4 hours after the pushup routine was completed. The program is conveniently divided into five training days. This is easily translated into a Monday through Friday approach to pull-up training. It is important to cease the pull-up routine for two days, Saturday and Sunday. Further, it is necessary to use consecutive days (not to skip days) when on the pull-up routine. Finally, it is more important to do the pull-ups than it is to do the pushups.
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PHE1352.jpg Getting Jacked Is Good For Your Career!

The training program was developed to improve performance in a specific exercise, the overhand pull-up. The program can be adapted to doing chin-ups and flexed arm hangs. The program depends upon quality exercises, numbers of repetitions are unimportant. When you are doing these routines you should concentrate on perfect execution of each repetition. The only person that you can fool is yourself.
Day 1

Five maximum effort sets. Rest 90 seconds between each set. Do not concern yourself with numbers. You will find that you will increase the numbers in the last two sets before you see much improvement in the first three. Make sure that each set is a maximum effort set.
Day 2

Pyramid Day. Start the pyramid with one repetition, the next set has two repetitions, the next has three. Continue in this fashion until you miss a set. (e.g. your last set was five, your next set would be six, but you could only do four. You missed a set) Do one more set at a maximum effort. Rest 10 seconds for each repetition in the previous set.
Day 3

Do three training sets with a normal overhand grip. Rest 60 seconds between each set. Do three training sets gripping the bar so that your palms are toward your face and your little fingers are touching each other. Rest 60 seconds between each set.
Day 4

Do the maximum number of training sets that you can accomplish. Rest 60 seconds between each set. You do training sets until you fail to do perfect training set. This day can wind up being the longest training day as you continue with the program because you will find it easy to do lots of training sets.
Day 5

Repeat the day that you found to be the hardest in the previous four days. This will change from week to week.
Training Sets

Training Sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set a specified number of repetitions. That means one individual may have 3 repetitions in his training set, but another individual may have more or less. The key to determine the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on Day 3. You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions. If you were concerned with gross numbers performed, you might try for the higher numbered training set. This is not advised. It is much more important for you to successfully complete the scheduled workout on Day 3, doing one repetition per training set, than it is for you to complete only 6 or 7 sets, trying two or three repetitions in each training set. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training sets so that you can complete this routine properly.
The best gauge for the number of repetitions in the training set comes on Day 4. If you successfully complete Day 3, try to raise the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do Day 4. If you get a least nine sets done on Day 4, that tells you that your training set ought to be one repetition higher. If you get less than nine sets, you will still have accomplished a good day’s work, and confirmed that http://www.groundedfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/latissimus_dorsi.pngyour training set was correct for this week.
It is important that you do not change the repetitions in a training set in midstream. When you schedule yourself to the day’s routine using three repetitions in your training set, do not change it to two when the exercises get hard.
Modifications

Ladies will find that this program adapts well to the flexed arm hang. Training sets are simply translated into hang times.
Chin-ups may be substituted for those who prefer this technique, however, day 3 must still be completed exactly as described with 6 sets done with the overhand grip.
It is highly recommended that you follow this program using overhand grip as most of the obstacles that you will have to get over at OCS require an overhand grip.
Maintenance and Final Thoughts

Once you have achieved your goal, you will remain at that plateau by doing at least 50 repetitions each day. Though this may sound like a large number of repetitions at this point in time, it is not, as you will happily discover during your time on the program.
The program will work for anyone who will make a sincere attempt. You cannot expect any physical training program to work for you if you do not practice it regularly. In the first few weeks you may find that you are able to do fewer repetitions. This is a normal physiological reaction called teardown. As you continue, you will improve.
If your performance is at the 12-15 repetition level when you begin this program, then it will take about 4 weeks to complete. If you are lower than that it will take longer. Have heart because if you continue with the program, you will reach the 20 repetition level.
http://manlypat.wordpress.com/

Eddie01
09-16-09, 10:29 AM
Hey i use this exact same program you may not have 20 by week 8 it all depends on how many you could do before you started the program. I use the program everyday and i have improved one pull up every week I started at around 9 and now i am up to 18 to 19 depending on the day. SO if you wanna get better at your pull-ups then this program will help you out. Let me know how it goes for you.

BruceLee
09-18-09, 05:41 PM
Hey "HookNLadder" we ship the same day,What MCRD are you going to?

Pull ups-20

Crunches-85

Run-11:00

HookNLadder
09-18-09, 06:00 PM
Parris Island

BruceLee
09-18-09, 09:12 PM
Ride on,sounds good,good luck man Im going to San Diego since I only live like 1 hr away

thekevo
09-21-09, 10:51 AM
I'm starting this program today.

Endurance89
09-21-09, 04:29 PM
Just finished the first week (5 training days) today.

Would you believe that I am up from 5 to 7 pullups? :S

This is awesome. Thanks so much HookNLadder.

thekevo
09-21-09, 04:44 PM
I talked to my Sergeant this afternoon and I mentioned this program to him, and he was quite enthused that I'd found out about it. He mentioned that he'd done it before and gave quite a testament about how it worked for him. Looking forward to putting some numbers onto my pull ups

Endurance89
09-21-09, 07:41 PM
I talked to my Sergeant this afternoon and I mentioned this program to him, and he was quite enthused that I'd found out about it. He mentioned that he'd done it before and gave quite a testament about how it worked for him. Looking forward to putting some numbers onto my pull ups

See, you are starting at about the same number as me. Race yah to 20, mate :D

thekevo
09-22-09, 11:41 AM
You're a week up on me in the program, but I guess we are at about the same number. You're on. And uh, what are we going to use as proof?

Capital M
09-22-09, 12:35 PM
You're a week up on me in the program, but I guess we are at about the same number. You're on. And uh, what are we going to use as proof?

Honor

First Value Marines know. Start practicing now :D

thekevo
09-22-09, 01:09 PM
Honor

First Value Marines know. Start practicing now :D

Well hell, I was going to suggest getting creative and making a video of it, but if you want to do it that way, then I'm more than game.

LoveOfCountry
09-22-09, 01:49 PM
I've been stuck at 14-16 for a month. I will admit though... I have only been doing about 3 days a week. Low on time with a full-time job, wife, dogs, business, etc. I plan to crank it up as I only have 28 days left until I leave.

Endurance89
09-22-09, 04:19 PM
Honor.

Absolutely.

Video would work fine, too.

HookNLadder
09-22-09, 07:07 PM
Armstrong plan + regular pull up workout with recruiter = weakness leaving the body (but mostly pain)

LoveOfCountry
09-22-09, 07:25 PM
I'm still confused on what a "training set" is. I'm sure it is simple, but the directions are so long and complicated that it throws me off.

I can typically do 15 pull-ups max on my first set. So, what does that mean for my training set on day 3?

LoveOfCountry
09-22-09, 07:27 PM
Is a training set just mean whatever number you decide to do, you must use that same number of reps for each set? (i.e. my training set is 3, so I do 3 pull-ups per set 9 times?

HookNLadder
09-22-09, 07:44 PM
yes

LoveOfCountry
09-23-09, 03:30 PM
If you're doing this 5 days a week, how in the heck are you supposed to let your muscles recover?

Capital M
09-23-09, 04:41 PM
The 2 days is at the end is for recovery, you just have to less during the week. Don't expect you to reach your max when your doing max sets on pyramid day. etc etc. Your training sets may only be 3 or 4 pullups. But I think that's the point of the program. Where you down as much as possible, then recover at the end.

Obviously if something starts feeling tweaked: stop, ice, ibuprofen, repeat.

BruceLee
09-24-09, 01:36 PM
Ibuprofen...hahaha

Capital M
09-24-09, 02:54 PM
Ibuprofen...hahaha

....?

BruceLee
09-24-09, 04:50 PM
This program is good because of the diversity of the workouts,everyday is different,I have a pull up bar at home so whenever I leave or re-enter my room I crank out a max set...why not right?

Capital M
09-24-09, 05:25 PM
I don't use the armstrong either. I do something like what you do, just whenever I leave/enter my apartment, just wondering why you questioned the ibuprophen thing

BruceLee
09-24-09, 07:24 PM
oh...the whole,"stop, ice, ibuprofen, repeat" just sounded funny to me,no biggy.

atimmons
09-24-09, 11:22 PM
Awesome moto, thanks hooknladder I'll definitely put this to my recruit group. I know I can use it.

Endurance89
09-28-09, 03:47 PM
I want to bump this for any poolee who is currently struggling with their pullups.

I went up from 5 to 9 in two weeks. I just now finished training week 2.

This is incredible.

thekevo
10-12-09, 09:25 PM
Alright, here's an update with my progress.

I believe today marks week 3 for me in the Armstrong pull up program. I started the program only being able to do 1-2 overhand dead hang pull ups. Last week, around mid week or so, i celebrated the achievement of double digits (10). Today, While performing my first max set, I achieved 13 correctly executed dead hang pull ups. Quite an improvement! So, in short, this program is really working for me, and I'm putting on numbers faster than I'd ever expected! I'm quite happy with my progress, but in finishing, I just have to say - BETTER WATCH OUT ENDURANCE! haha, I'm gettin' on up there! How you hangin in there?

Endurance89
10-13-09, 08:04 PM
Alright, here's an update with my progress.

I believe today marks week 3 for me in the Armstrong pull up program. I started the program only being able to do 1-2 overhand dead hang pull ups. Last week, around mid week or so, i celebrated the achievement of double digits (10). Today, While performing my first max set, I achieved 13 correctly executed dead hang pull ups. Quite an improvement! So, in short, this program is really working for me, and I'm putting on numbers faster than I'd ever expected! I'm quite happy with my progress, but in finishing, I just have to say - BETTER WATCH OUT ENDURANCE! haha, I'm gettin' on up there! How you hangin in there?

Hey hey! Alright man! Keep it going.

I am hanging in there all right, but I haven't hit the double digits yet, and I am actually starting to see a decrease in pullups. I don't know what it is.

I think you had mentioned that you felt more improvement doing the overhand, I think I might need to start that instead.

Interestingly, I hit 3 sets of 38 pushups in the morning. I started at 3 of 18 4 weeks ago. I am very happy with that improvement. What's really cool is that before I started, I could do 0 overhand; I tried today on a whim a cracked out 5. Holy shizzle!

Keep it going, man, don't let up!

I'll catch you yet :D

HookNLadder
10-14-09, 03:36 PM
So how many reps is everyone's training set? I started on sets of 2 and now I am doing sets of 5.

thekevo
10-14-09, 04:01 PM
Well, funny you post this. I was scheduling myself to launch an increased training set as of today, but I'm out of commission until my left shoulder decides it doesn't want to clusterfcuk anymore. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to do yesterday's, and today's as well. I'd started yesterday's regimen as normal, but I noticed that with the increasing repetitions of the pyramid cycle, after I dismounted the bar I'd end up grabbing my shoulder and wincing in pain every time - so I stopped and took some ibuprofen. Trying not to aggravate it. My training set is 4

Endurance89
10-14-09, 09:13 PM
Wait, what? Training sets? Maybe I am failing to see results becuase I am not following instructions? Help me out here, this is what I do.

Day 1.
Max, rest 90
Max, rest 90
Max, rest 90
Max, rest 90
Max

Day 2
1 rest 60
2 rest 60
3 rest 60
4 rest 60
3 rest 60
2 rest 60

Day 3
Max, rest 60
pinkies together max, rest 60
Max, rest 60
Max, rest 60

Day 4
Same as day 1

Day 5
same as day 2

Help a fellow poolee out, is this not right?

Also, ALL pullups are with palms facing in.

HookNLadder
10-14-09, 10:14 PM
Wait, what? Training sets? Maybe I am failing to see results becuase I am not following instructions? Help me out here, this is what I do.

Yes you are correct; you did not follow instructions. Reread the first post and all of your questions will be answered.

Endurance89
10-15-09, 03:48 PM
Yes you are correct; you did not follow instructions. Reread the first post and all of your questions will be answered.

Ya confirmed my worst fear, there, mate. :/

I reread that first post, I am going to be frank, I am still failing to comprehend. I would appreciate a break down, perhaps word for word what you do on each day?

Any help is greatly appreciated and won't be soon forgot. =)

Endurance89
10-15-09, 04:55 PM
I just attempted to make out exactly what it is asking for.

Days 1 an 2 I seem to have gotten right. Day 3 looks like it really should be:

(if 3 is my number of reps)

3 sets of 3 overhand, resting 60 each time.

Then, 3 sets of 3 pinkies together, resting 60.

So, then, day 4 would be

(if 3 reps per ser)

as many sets of 3 as I can possibly do with 60 seconds in between?

If that is the case, then I am not to far off what I should be doing at it will be easy to fix.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thekevo
10-15-09, 10:12 PM
I see so many cases of fail that I'm just going to go ahead and lay this ALL out for you.

Day 1 - 5 Maximum effort sets.

Rest 90 seconds between each set.

1st maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
2nd maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
3rd maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
4th maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
5th maximum effort set

Day 2 - Pyramid Day.

Rest 10 SECONDS for EACH repetition in the previous set.

1 pull up - rest 10 seconds.
2 pull ups - rest 20 seconds
3 pull ups - rest 30 seconds and so on until you fail to exceed, by 1, the previous set's repetitions.

Rest for 10 seconds for each repetition completed in the previous set. Then pull out one more maximum effort set Day 2 is now done.

Day 3 - Utilizing overhand as well as underhand grip

1st training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds
2nd training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds
3rd training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds.

Switch your grip to as where your palms are toward your face and your pinkys are touching each other.

1st training set - rest 60 seconds
2nd training set - rest 60 seconds
3rd training set - rest 60 seconds

(On this day, I usually go on to pull out three more training sets using normal overhand grip)

Day 4 - Do as many correctly executed training sets possible

1st training set - rest 60 seconds
2nd training set - rest 60 seconds
3rd training set - rest 60 seconds
4th training set - rest 60 seconds and so on..

Day 5 - Repeat the day you found to be the hardest of the previous 4 days.

Self explanatory, no shortcuts.

Endurance89
10-15-09, 10:49 PM
I see so many cases of fail that I'm just going to go ahead and lay this ALL out for you.

Thanks so much man.

LJ27
10-16-09, 07:11 AM
I dont know about this exact workout, but I do alot of push ups a day..and once or twice a week I hit the pull up bar. And this what happened:

I DEP'd in Sept. 1.....We had an IST 5 days later...I did 6 pull ups..(i usually do 8). Next IST 1 month later, I did 9. And just yesterday I did 11! My most ever. Those pushups are paying off. Then I did another set of 10. Just do alot of pushups all times of the day if you cant get to a bar.

BruceLee
10-23-09, 01:06 PM
I dont know about this exact workout, but I do alot of push ups a day..and once or twice a week I hit the pull up bar. And this what happened:

I DEP'd in Sept. 1.....We had an IST 5 days later...I did 6 pull ups..(i usually do 8). Next IST 1 month later, I did 9. And just yesterday I did 11! My most ever. Those pushups are paying off. Then I did another set of 10. Just do alot of pushups all times of the day if you cant get to a bar.

thats what i try to tell people keep it simple but consistent..and good job man your on your way:thumbup:

trmptplyr
10-23-09, 01:24 PM

More than likely what happened was that due to the decreased frequency of pullup workouts, your muscles were more recovered and received a better workout when you hit it. Pushups work completely different muscles and aren't responsible for your progress.

LJ27
10-23-09, 01:30 PM
I dont know bro ^^^. I only do pull ups on our PT days (tues & thurs) and I do push ups every day because I dont have constant access to a pull up bar. I know what youre talking about with the muscle recovery (ie: the decrease) but I think im improving pretty fast.

trmptplyr
10-23-09, 01:35 PM
Either way, improvement is what's important, and you're seeing it, so congrats!

thekevo
10-23-09, 07:42 PM
Whew, went to PT today down at the station and I got ****ing SMOKED. Went with another bud of mine, and there just happened to be 3 PFC's and a LCPL on recruiters assistance in PT gear in the back, waiting for us to show up. Singled us out and worked with us for quite some time, then ran an IST. Ended up throw up twice, but of course that didn't stop me - makes you feel like a brand new man! Haha, Good ****. Still doing good on my pull up workouts as well

dds0113
10-29-09, 08:10 PM
Just another testimonial; Awhile back I did this Armstrong program for two months and went from 12-20 dead hangs. Unfortunately back down to 12.... lost access to a pull-up bar for quite awhile.

HookNLadder
10-29-09, 08:28 PM
Update: five weeks ago I was doing 7 chin ups now I am doing 12 pull ups. although I haven't been doing the push ups every morning and I switched from chin ups to pull ups,that probably held me back some, I am still very motivated by my progress.

whats your status?

GDean
11-02-09, 07:54 PM
try doing pull-ups with weight. I hook my feet onto a 25 pound dum bell and do 5 reps in between each set of other exercizes in my workout. when you try it again without weight you will immediately feel a huge difference.

Mulls
11-06-09, 11:15 AM
More than likely what happened was that due to the decreased frequency of pullup workouts, your muscles were more recovered and received a better workout when you hit it. Pushups work completely different muscles and aren't responsible for your progress.

not likely, decreasing the frequency of your pullup workouts usually only hurts you, you can do pull ups a lot and not have to worry about lots of recovery time. pushups strengthen your core and rotator cuff, they're fantastic for overall strength. you might not be getting a back and bicep workout while you're doing them, but there's a good reason you're advised to do three max sets every morning.

joshpike4
11-07-09, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I have been looking for a program to improve my max pullups besides lifting weights. I will begin this soon and post my progress every week or so before I ship.

Endurance89
11-09-09, 03:00 PM
Brief update:

On my birthday (10-16) I "restarted" this program using the palms out pull up, and thekevo's method (scroll up).

On the 16th, I had 1..ish palms out pull ups. I just hit 10 today. This is a significant improvement.

The only thing I have altered is I have made a 45 pound "ammo can;" this is basically an old backpack with a 25 pound bag of cat litter and 2X10pound dumbells. From there, I just do the ammo can lifts that are necessary in the Combat Fitness course. I am unsure if this is a part of my success, so I am just putting that out there. I do 2 sets to failure with a minute in between.

Capital M
11-09-09, 04:34 PM
Brief update:

On my birthday (10-16) I "restarted" this program using the palms out pull up, and thekevo's method (scroll up).

On the 16th, I had 1..ish palms out pull ups. I just hit 10 today. This is a significant improvement.

The only thing I have altered is I have made a 45 pound "ammo can;" this is basically an old backpack with a 25 pound bag of cat litter and 2X10pound dumbells. From there, I just do the ammo can lifts that are necessary in the Combat Fitness course. I am unsure if this is a part of my success, so I am just putting that out there. I do 2 sets to failure with a minute in between.

You do know its only 30 pounds for the CFT right?
edit-the link won't work

Endurance89
11-09-09, 08:16 PM
I do know that, thank you for asking.

If you read my post folks, sorry if I confused anyone, I should have mentioned it. I do 15 over, sitting down; I figure that when I get to boot camp and am required to do the CFT, I will be able to stand, use my legs, and be holding 15 pounds less. Guaranteed good performance, methinks.

Either way, thanks for looking out for me, mate.

John

joshpike4
11-10-09, 12:17 AM
hey endurance can u go into detail more about the CFT. what is the full test and how many pullups with extra weight do we have to do

Endurance89
11-10-09, 01:04 AM
Uh, oh.

I think I confused everyone here. To be honest, my brain is starting to hurt.

Ok, from the top. :P

The CFT was recently introduced into the training repertoire for the Marine Corps.

Here is a link to what it is, top to bottom.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/cft.htm

This part:

Ammo Can Lifts. Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Is what I have added to my training. I have a backpack. I filled it with weights. I lift it up and over my head to simulate the the ammo can lift.

Hope that clears everything up, lads. Sorry for the confusion.

joshpike4
11-10-09, 03:28 AM
Thank you I appreciate it. I actually just went onto youtube and typed in CFT. They have numerous videos of the CFT.

Mulls
11-10-09, 09:15 AM
you know, i tried the armstrong pull up program once, and didn't get the best results with it. my max improved, but only slightly - high frequency training with this many repetitions to failure is a big taxing on the CNS...i got better results with Grease the Groove - i.e. just doing a 60-70% of Max set every time I pass the bar...i'm not sure there's a faster way to up your pull ups than to just do a lot of pull ups all the time.

Capital M
11-10-09, 02:16 PM
I do know that, thank you for asking.

If you read my post folks, sorry if I confused anyone, I should have mentioned it. I do 15 over, sitting down; I figure that when I get to boot camp and am required to do the CFT, I will be able to stand, use my legs, and be holding 15 pounds less. Guaranteed good performance, methinks.

Either way, thanks for looking out for me, mate.

John

Ahh I gotcha.

At the gym I just take a 30 pound dumbell and do reverse half pyramids. Ill start out at like 45 reps then rest for a minute or so than 40 reps, rest, 35. etc etc. that combined with "jack webbs" works your shoulders REAL nice

joshpike4
11-10-09, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a good workout capital m. I am going to input that into my lift days. Today being one of them. Hitting the gym before basketball

Vazquez90
11-11-09, 11:38 PM
The CFT is fun let me tell ya!!!
Although what's a perfect score for the ammo can lifts? Is it 91 or 97?

Anyways, something that has helped me immensely with pull ups and leaves me a good sore, is doing negative pull ups with added weights. I currently use a thirty pound weight which i put in a backpack and wear. Then i go ahead and do 15 negative standard pull ups, rest, 15 negative wide pull ups, rest and finally 15 negative chin ups. You can do more or less, its whatever you feel is right for you that day.

oh and on the way down it should take 3-5 seconds until you get to the bottom.

Capital M
11-12-09, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a good workout capital m. I am going to input that into my lift days. Today being one of them. Hitting the gym before basketball

Yeah man, and it jacks up your delts too. The girl likes it :cool:

I also took endurance's idea and started doing sitting them down. Can't really feel the shoulders/triceps right now. Awesome workout.

The only thing I gotta say about doing them sitting down, is making sure not to lean back too far. I caught myself leaning back to a position you wouldn't get to while standing. It starts to shift the work to the pecs.

BruceLee
11-12-09, 11:15 AM
I havnt done any pull ups in about 2 weeks because of a shoulder injuries that accured while wrestling and yesterday I finally got on the bar and hit 26 hahaha thats crazy at least for me it is,Iv never hit that!!!,I think its cause of all the recovery time I got.

joshpike4
11-13-09, 01:16 AM
I usually just do the standard military press with dumbells. That usually gets my shoulders working. I tried the ammo can lift with a 30 pound dumbell and it burned me out. After doing about 3 max sets I was definitely feeling the burn.

Mulls
11-15-09, 12:36 PM
You'll find its better to avoid max sets - grease the groove, armstrong method, recon ron - they all have you avoid max sets. you can do them if you're going to be resting every other day, but otherwise it's too taxing on the central nervous system, and you'll end up overtraining. find out your max, do sets of 60-70% of it every day, test your max again, readjust your 60-70% calculation, repeat. trust me, maxing your shoulders too often is asking for an injury - you're also, i'm assuming, doing pushups and pull ups, maybe even dips too - don't mess with your rotator cuff, because an injury can set you back YEARS and no doubt disqualify you. again, if you're gonna take it easy on your shoulders, you could throw up a bunch of max sets every other day - the Gunnery Sergeant drillinstructor on this site suggested a program he uses where you complete a certain amount of repetitions in as few max sets as possible every other day - this is a great program. if you like doing pull ups every day though like i do, you'll wanna take it easy with the maxing.

dds0113
11-15-09, 03:03 PM
Day one of every week with the Armstrong method is 5 max sets.

HookNLadder
12-06-09, 04:34 PM
My final ist before I leave was 14 pull ups. Im happy.

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 06:45 PM
What worked for me was A) When I didn't have a pull up bar I did LOTS of Lat Pull downs, like 6 sets of 12-15 with about 130lbs on there daily and B) Finally getting a pull up bar and just making myself do one max set every morning and night plus a set of 5 every time I entered or left my room.

I got up to 24 but then I got lazy and stopped doing them for a few weeks and now I'm back down to 16. I guess the biggest rule is whatever you do KEEP IT UP. I had to learn that one the hard way, I'll be back at 24 before boot though so it's all good.

Capital M
12-06-09, 06:50 PM
ET... you should be in the Poolee Chat right now!

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 11:25 PM
I was/am studying for exams, I was just on a little intermission. I knew the chat session was going on but tomorrow's a busy day and I can't get bogged down, I'll lose my HOPE scholarship if I don't have a 3.0 before I go to boot so that's priority 1 until Thursday.

Capital M
12-06-09, 11:51 PM
I was/am studying for exams, I was just on a little intermission. I knew the chat session was going on but tomorrow's a busy day and I can't get bogged down, I'll lose my HOPE scholarship if I don't have a 3.0 before I go to boot so that's priority 1 until Thursday.

I smell excuses. lol nah just playin.. I know how you feel. Finals week is coming up for me next week, but my senior thesis is due tuesday.

ETWilliams0209
12-07-09, 12:40 PM
I smell excuses. lol nah just playin.. I know how you feel. Finals week is coming up for me next week, but my senior thesis is due tuesday.

So you're going to have a PhD (Permanent head Damage)? :D Or do you have to write theses for your BS/BA and Masters too? Just finished my Geography exam btw, that class was God awful boring, glad I knocked it out first.

Capital M
12-07-09, 01:08 PM
Its for my Bachelor's

We have to do a 15-25 page paper and in depth analysis to present to the head of the economics department (with seniors and other econ professors present)for questioning and analysis (aka getting **** on for not knowing anything).

I. hate. my. life. right now.

thekevo
12-07-09, 04:54 PM
Getting this thread back on it's damn topic, just hit 17! 3 weeks left until I ship. The goal's still 20!!!

Capital M
12-07-09, 06:51 PM
Haha kev, what I failed to mention was the extreme amount of stress and anxiety that accompanies doing this ****... So I end up doing hundreds and hundred of pushups/pull ups in a couple of days time.

So it's on topic...kinda lol. Just not the Armstrong program...more like the College Finals Pullup Program...guaranteed 20 pullups in one semester!

As you can tell my brain is a little fried at the moment, trying to justify somrhing like that..carry on

MikeMorris
12-20-09, 05:17 PM
nice post man

xfusex
02-10-10, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet or not but the OP is missing information for Day 3 of this program.

While reading the post I noticed that it said that on Day 3 it calls for you to do 9 sets, but it only describes 6 sets.

According to the original postings I've found of the Armstrong Program, Day 3 should consist of 3 Overhand grip training sets, 3 Close grip Underhand training sets, and end with 3 more Overhand training sets.

I did this program my first week and found Day 3 to be very easy, upon re-reading the post it was pretty obvious it was missing information.

scarver007
02-11-10, 11:22 PM
this programs is the s*** im on my 3rd week and have gone from 6 to 12