PDA

View Full Version : Got my first pull-up today.

coolfir3pwnz
09-10-09, 08:41 PM
After 3+ weeks of hard work, I finally got the first one. I hope I can get 5+ before I ship out on 20091026. :D

****in' made my recruiter proud.:banana:

Yojimbo
09-10-09, 09:05 PM
Good work poolee, keep it up and work hard for your goal. When did you DEP in?

sparkie
09-10-09, 09:06 PM
get 6,,,,,,,, proud of ya. Only you can build on your life.

Tatom
09-10-09, 09:14 PM
Well in order to ship you have to at least do 2, but you have 46 days until then. Yes, I'm counting because that's my date, too.

sbombard15
09-10-09, 09:15 PM
Congrats. I went from absolutly nothing to 6 in 3 months because of alot of assisted pullups. If you can find a assisted pullup machine.

MarinesFTW
09-10-09, 09:55 PM
Congrats! The first one is only one of the best feelings. Once I reached 10 I felt that same feeling. Just keep working hard, doing curls, lat downs, and assisted pull ups. They will go up slowly but surely.

KidnapSix
09-10-09, 10:13 PM
Grats man, the first one is the hardest one. I just got my first one a couple weeks ago also. My second one came only a week or so after that so they will start coming quick!

Capital M
09-10-09, 10:16 PM
Great Job

Here's a new hint:

Now that your up, don't assist your way down, let yourself drop. If you go down slowly, you'll fatigue way faster and lose a pull-up or two.

Mind over matter, whenever your feeling like your arms are gonna fall off, Imagine there is an EGA at the top of that bar, it'll get you up there pretty darn quick

Keep up the good work:flag:

coolfir3pwnz
09-11-09, 09:34 PM
I depped in 20090103. I ****ed up pretty bad from then until 2 months ago. Then I realized I wasn't at all prepared for MCRDPI and whipped myself back into shape (well, getting there.) The gym I work out at has an assisted pull-up machine. It's pretty awesome. I used to have to use 80lbs of assistance but now I can use 50. Thanks for all the support, guys. I really appreciate it.

Running a CFT tomorrow! Yeah!:p

Barr
09-12-09, 08:20 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and buy an Iron Gym, a $30 pullup bar you can put in most doorframes. Everytime you pass under it, knock a few out. That's how I went from 2 pullups to 8 in less than 4 weeks.

coolfir3pwnz
09-12-09, 08:40 PM
I got one of those a few weeks ago. Practicing on that helped a lot. It's hanging in my door right now. This motivated poolee's about to try a few right now!

LJ27
09-13-09, 03:28 PM
Great Job

Here's a new hint:

Now that your up, don't assist your way down, let yourself drop. If you go down slowly, you'll fatigue way faster and lose a pull-up or two.

Mind over matter, whenever your feeling like your arms are gonna fall off, Imagine there is an EGA at the top of that bar, it'll get you up there pretty darn quick

Keep up the good work:flag:
thats good advice that I actually followed myself and i see a difference. i always came down slowly lowering myself. yesterday we had a function and did an IST, but the lady only wanted us to do 4. when I get to 4 i usually start to struggle but I followed your advice and when I did 4 yesterday it felt like i couldve did 10.

Dist Expert 26
09-13-09, 09:40 PM
I got an Iron Gym, and I went from 13 in June to 20 as of last Saturday. I highly recommend it.

I also have a great program. During the summer I would do pullups Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I would either do even numbers up to 20, or odds up to 19. It comes out to 300-330 pullups a week. If you stick with it you will get in shape. Now that I'm at 20 I do 40-60 6 times a week just to stay sharp. I take Sunday off.

Barr
09-13-09, 09:55 PM
Another thing is, every other day, do a max set on the bar, drop down and do 20 pushups, back on the bar, max set, down, 20, repeat until your muscles fail and then keep going.

cflem1318
09-14-09, 11:07 AM
I bought that Iron Gym and went from about 4 to 13 in less than 2 months. I have been doing sort of what Dist Expert and Barr are saying i do about 50 to 60 a day and each time i do a set i get down and do push ups..Some times i just do 20 or some times i do 10 regular push ups the 10 diamond then 10 wide push ups.. after those you feel it really good! Good luck man keep working hard and push yourself!

LoveOfCountry
09-14-09, 04:19 PM
Congrats man. I could only do 3 when I first started doing them. 8 months later I'm up to 16. The weighted backpack helped a lot. I alternate with pack on and off. Good luck.

coolfir3pwnz
09-14-09, 07:05 PM
This morning, I got 2. This afternoon, I got 3. Funny story, actually. I went to the gym, worked out, and then came back to the office. The Marines told me to do pull-ups so I got on the bar, dropped into the hang, and did the first one. Then I felt as if I could do one more, so I dropped back into the hang and busted out another! Everyone was like "HOLY ****!" Anyway, I chilled for a few, helped my recruiter out with some paperwork and then called the SNOIC to tell him I did 2. He was like "No ****ing way. I'm coming down right now. You better be ready." I was dead from the gym and the repeated attempts at pull-ups. The SNOIC came into the office and told me to get on his bar. I got on, did 1, did 2, then just as I was about to get off, I dug real deep and struggled for a 3rd one. I didn't even know I had that in me. Now I gotta get out of the "at-risk pool" on Saturday and prove to SgtMjr that I'm good enough for his Marine Corps.

Thisisrandy
09-15-09, 09:08 PM
This morning, I got 2. This afternoon, I got 3. Funny story, actually. I went to the gym, worked out, and then came back to the office. The Marines told me to do pull-ups so I got on the bar, dropped into the hang, and did the first one. Then I felt as if I could do one more, so I dropped back into the hang and busted out another! Everyone was like "HOLY ****!" Anyway, I chilled for a few, helped my recruiter out with some paperwork and then called the SNOIC to tell him I did 2. He was like "No ****ing way. I'm coming down right now. You better be ready." I was dead from the gym and the repeated attempts at pull-ups. The SNOIC came into the office and told me to get on his bar. I got on, did 1, did 2, then just as I was about to get off, I dug real deep and struggled for a 3rd one. I didn't even know I had that in me. Now I gotta get out of the "at-risk pool" on Saturday and prove to SgtMjr that I'm good enough for his Marine Corps.

That's friggin awesome. This day that you did your maximum reps several times during one day will definitely help you increase your overall reps very quickly. If you do that routine consistantly you will go from 3 max to 6 max in about 5-10 days. That the exact way to increase max pullups. Jump on the bar, dig deep and do your max, rest for a while and do it again, and again. Do a minimum of 3 max rep sets and you're guaranteed to increase your max. Keep in mind that you will be sore.... The best waY to prevent soreness is to 1) stay hydrated but not immediately before the workout 2) have a small protien-filled snack before you workout and a moderate sized lean protien-filled snack/meal afterwards. Protien and water help your muscles grow and recover quicker and more effectively. Tip-if you're 150lbs, consume 150 grams of protien daily, 175 lbs=175+ grams of protien... So on and so forth. This method is proven and effective muscle building techniques using your own body weight. You don't want to consume your protien all at once. It's best to regulate your protien intake throghout the day however, you DO want to intake the vast majority of your daily recommendations right after your most intense workouts. Oh.... And stretch before and after.

coolfir3pwnz
09-15-09, 09:42 PM
That's friggin awesome. This day that you did your maximum reps several times during one day will definitely help you increase your overall reps very quickly. If you do that routine consistantly you will go from 3 max to 6 max in about 5-10 days. That the exact way to increase max pullups. Jump on the bar, dig deep and do your max, rest for a while and do it again, and again. Do a minimum of 3 max rep sets and you're guaranteed to increase your max. Keep in mind that you will be sore.... The best waY to prevent soreness is to 1) stay hydrated but not immediately before the workout 2) have a small protien-filled snack before you workout and a moderate sized lean protien-filled snack/meal afterwards. Protien and water help your muscles grow and recover quicker and more effectively. Tip-if you're 150lbs, consume 150 grams of protien daily, 175 lbs=175+ grams of protien... So on and so forth. This method is proven and effective muscle building techniques using your own body weight. You don't want to consume your protien all at once. It's best to regulate your protien intake throghout the day however, you DO want to intake the vast majority of your daily recommendations right after your most intense workouts. Oh.... And stretch before and after.Thanks dude. Yeah, I've been working out for the last 2 months. Being sore is nothing new to me. I'm ~170 and I get about 170g protein a day. I eat eggs in the morning, a protein shake in the evening with a chicken sandwich, and eggs for dinner. Parents are vegetarians, lol. My muscles were so shot this afternoon. I worked out at the gym, doing chinups, dips, bench, assisted pull-ups, etc. Went to this class that the gym offers called "Boot Camp." Basically, it's 1 hour of super-high intensity body weight exercises. Situps, pushups, side-straddle hops, etc. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right? lol The pull-ups only go up from here.