PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Point Marines remember fallen

thedrifter
08-08-03, 06:04 AM
Cherry Point Marines remember fallen
Submitted by: MCAS Cherry Point
Story Identification Number: 20038711306
Story by PFC Sarah M. Hickey

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C.(Aug. 7, 2003) -- The crowd rose to attention for the retiring of the colors. In the semi-dusk lighting of the theater, there was an added solemnity in that familiar ceremony. All eyes were trained upon the flags until it was impossible to follow the colors anymore without moving. The soft, shivering notes of taps caught the crowd by surprise. Those haunting notes, played in memory of those comrades lost to us, ended the Remembrance Ceremony honoring all those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"The entire service was very meaningful and moving," said Cmdr. Bruce A Martin, assistant wing chaplain. "The prayer, the comments, the homily and the slides; everything was very appropriate."

"Our goal in providing that service was to honor 2dMAW Marines and sailors who have served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, particularly those who died," said Capt. Joseph C. Cappar, wing chaplain. "I feel that we met and exceeded that goal. We wanted to highlight their military service while being sensitive to their personal sacrifice.

"My feeling is that with the combination of band, the slide presentation, the oral presentation by the commanding officer and chaplain, the color guard, the laying of the wreath, that it was a perfect combination," added Cappar.

The memorial ceremony was unique in its aim. "The ceremony was to be a memorial service and not a patriotic ceremony," said Cappar. Because of this, the participants of the ceremony were chosen carefully. Sometimes the choices may have seemed a little odd. "The reason the Commanding General didn't give the CO's comments, is because we wanted all the participants in the ceremony to be those who deployed in theater," said Cappar. "Participants, as much as possible, were those who had been deployed."

The service was successful in reaching its large audience of MWHS-2. "I was touched," said Sgt. Belinda L. Hodgdon, wing equal opportunities office manager. "It made me think about all the past and coming deployments. It was very well done."

The Remembrance Ceremony was a celebration of the sacrifices made by those who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom. "Freedom is costly," said Martin. "We need to remember those who have given their all, and services like this are helpful with that. They help younger Marines to remember what has been done before. We stand in a great tradition that carries great responsibility with it."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200387113820/$file/remeberlowres.jpg

A memorial table displays a photo of Lance Cpl. Thomas A. Blair, 2nd LAAD Marine killed during the Iraqi operation.
Photo by: PFC. Sarah M. Hickey

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

DSchmitke
08-08-03, 12:41 PM
Rest In Peace My Brother