PDA

View Full Version : General Orders

rodriguez35
09-07-09, 07:33 AM
how do i go about learning them before shipping

ZombieWolf
09-07-09, 09:47 AM
didn't you study anything in highschool?

repeat them over and over until you remember them

rodriguez35
09-07-09, 10:12 AM
yeah lol thats not what i meant. i meant a method of repetition. theres a word i learned during high school but i seemed to hav forgotten it. its like how people remember the pemdas thing. confusing yes i know....

Ecko12
09-07-09, 10:45 AM
Try writing them down over and over and over again so you can see and correct yourself.

Zaiik
09-07-09, 10:52 AM
I took two pieces of printer paper and folded them up into little rectangles and tore them apart, then made flash cards with them. Managed to get it down in an hour or two that way, can't imagine any other method would be any faster,

Just reading them in the book over and over did me absolutely no good, but the flash cards were great. If you're not a cheapskate like me you could buy actual index cards for it, i guess.

AndrewMacieira
09-07-09, 11:00 AM
I plan on doing the flashcard method posted above. Reading them over and over in the book didnt do much for me. I need to learn them asap since I leave this comming monday. How crucial are the General Orders towards our training?

Eddie01
09-07-09, 11:02 AM
All you do is just start of by memorizing the first general order and then when you know it verbatim then move on to number two and so on that's what i did and i knew them all in no time. I thought i would never learn them because it seemed kinda hard but in the end it was really easy.

Capital M
09-07-09, 11:07 AM
Learn by progression

Start off today. Memorize the first general order.

Tomorrow memorize the second one. and say the 1st and 2nd one in order....

Wednesday. Third one

etc.

MarinesFTW
09-07-09, 11:17 AM
What Capital M said is a great way, it's what I did.

Dist Expert 26
09-07-09, 03:06 PM
I recite them by odd numbers and evens. That helps me not get them out of order.

SeanRyan32
09-07-09, 07:23 PM
Read it out loud and write it down.

Engage as many senses as possible. That's what my English teacher taught me my Sophomore year, and I memorized a ****load of things that year.

Tatom
09-07-09, 07:27 PM
I would say to learn them take the index card trick - when I was at my university that was the best way to learn anything in a short amount of time. Don't take days off, make sure they keep fresh on your mind, and read them before you go to sleep because that is when your mind retains most information.

Also, I haven't tried this, but I think I will test this method. At my RS each time a poolee gets a general order wrong our SSgt makes us do 25 Marine Corps pushups. So, do it yourself with the index cards, if you miss one - drop down and knock out 25...by the end of it you will either be smart, or strong.

atimmons
09-08-09, 01:00 AM
One thing I did was put one general order on a sticky note and put them in my car, room, bathroom, etc... I know them pretty well now. And don't stress it, they aren't that long. One thing that helps is have someone talk in your ear or actually yell at you while you recite them as you would in basic. This will help with concentration and focus.

Strength
09-08-09, 01:27 AM
It isn't hard to learn them. You don't even have to completely remember them, just be decently familier with them. They will drill them into you enough at bootcamp. Just be sure you know them well by atleast week 4

rodriguez35
09-08-09, 06:17 AM
i really like the flash cards idea thank you. and thank all of you for the insight

coolfir3pwnz
09-11-09, 09:49 PM
The flash cards work wonders. I read them EVERYWHERE. In the head, in the car, in between sets of push-ups, etc. Took me 3 days to learn all 11.

rodriguez35
09-11-09, 09:56 PM
Woot u ship a week after me. Good luck to you.
Me and my wife are going to quiz eachother. Ill quiz her on her school work, and she will quiz me on the generalorders and rank structure

Underdawg
09-14-09, 02:24 AM
In college, I would write all of the questions down on flash cards, with the answer, on in this case, the number of the general order on the back. Then repeat, repeat....and repeat again. I stick them I'm my bag so when I'm waiting on the bus to got to work or whatever I can go over them as many times as I need to.

Good luck.

rodriguez35
09-14-09, 08:14 AM
thanks alot.