PDA

View Full Version : 0231- 0321 No I don't have dislexia. Question, seeking wisdom from Marines.

Ryokeen
09-02-09, 10:16 PM
Greetings Marines, Wannabe (soon to be Poolee) here with some questions, hopefully, not dumb ones.

I have a divided interest amongst myself, 0231 Intel, and 0321 Recon.
First a little about me.

My Uncle, served in Nam, he and three friends went to join the Navy, drunk one night, but guess who found them?:thumbup: That's right boys and girls, the Marine recruiter!

He did PR work down there, told me that by day they'd build churches and schools for them, and by night they'd fend off the same people they saw in the day, while building those churches.. (PR must have been rough.)

Anyway, he caught wind that I was going to go in for Recon, and was quick to call me. He said his MOS had a high death rate and that Recon's was even higher during his time... (saw a Vietnam vet suggest 103% somewhere on here) and he was quick to discourage me. He said when he got out, the only thing he knew how to do was to kill an enemy, which in the civi world, would do me no good, unless I wanted to go into the Police department, or SWAT. And encouraged me to use my brain (family seems to think I'm a fairly smart guy? Not sure why.) and get a TS clearance, and serve in Intel, well.

I have the drive to do either. I'm not a real book kind of a guy, but analysis, and briefing, gathering info, and such sounds interesting. I read 0231's Thread on the matter, and it seems like a nice fit for me too. However, I kind of feel like I'm settling to please the people around me, you know? Though, I do want to be wise. Time on this Earth is short, and I want to make the best out of my life possible. Not for me, for others.

I've been coming from a totally physically unable state to a 240/250 PFT score, and I'm just getting warmed up, or atleast I feel like I can push through- Physical Fitness is important to me, one of the reasons I wanted to follow my uncle's steps into the Corps, because I know there are a lot of motivated and fit Marines.

I'm thinking about going 0231, and doing my best there, test the waters, earn that Title FIRST, and go from there. My main focus right now is to earn that Marine Title.

I figure, if later on, the lady (who by the way is all for Recon or Intel, couldn't ask for a better girl, knowing full well about the lows of Recon and just military family life) is still all for me going for Recon, I could always go up the Chain and put in a Formal Request for a Lat move, right? And if not, I can put in 5 happy years into Intel, get out and go from there, be it and ABC Agency, or defence contracting, re-enlist with a lat move or perhaps a college degree type field.

I would just like your wisdom, as Men and Woman who have earned the title, perhaps from the intel side and mabye a Recon guy could pop in and offer spectrums, and give their wisdom on- in Corp and after Corp expirience, life, jobs and functioning.

I hope this is a worthwile seeking of wisdom. Just looking for clarity from people who KNOW what they're talking about.

Thanks in advanced Marines!

tangovictor87
09-02-09, 10:22 PM
so wtf are you wanting to know? you sound like you got it all figured out.

yes you can lat move.

Ryokeen
09-02-09, 10:23 PM
(As a note, I am not discouraged by the death rate of Nam not to do Recon, or I wouldn't have an issue with still desiring it- By discourage, I meant he was simply giving me a lot of reasons not to go Recon, and I was just looking for respeonses from people in these days. Thanks Marines, and sorry for any and all confusion relating to my above post!)

Ryokeen
09-02-09, 10:25 PM
Morely seeking wisdom, if I should still dead lock on 0321, or if I should go through 0231, earn some rank, learn what being a Marine is and then apply for a lat move? Bassically, I'm a wanna be guessing in the dark, you are Marines there and know better than I, which of the two would be wiser. Also, if I obtain a T/S Clearance, do I have it forever, or just so long as my MOS requires it?

scifguard
09-02-09, 10:39 PM
Your TS/SCI clearance has to be renewed every 5 years. They also have Radio Recon which is pretty much a combination of SIGINT and Recon. You get the best of both worlds there.

Petz
09-02-09, 10:48 PM
sooo, yeah. I think it's 10 years now for TS/SCI clearances. unless it's been turned over by Obama, Bush made the change in like 2004-2005 I think. I could very well be wrong so please don't crucify me. My brother works on nukes so he's given me the gouge when it came down.

0231Marine
09-03-09, 07:44 AM
sooo, yeah. I think it's 10 years now for TS/SCI clearances. unless it's been turned over by Obama, Bush made the change in like 2004-2005 I think. I could very well be wrong so please don't crucify me. My brother works on nukes so he's given me the gouge when it came down.

Working on nukes may require a YW clearance and therefore is every 10 years, I honestly don't know about that one.

I know that I had to have my TS redone last year for my 5 year review and on the approved paperwork, it lists my next review in 2013.

Ryokeen
09-03-09, 07:52 AM
Thanks Marines, I have made a choice based on the information I've gathered and wrestled with. Appritiate your earnestness!

echo3oscar1833
09-03-09, 08:40 AM
Thanks Marines, I have made a choice based on the information I've gathered and wrestled with. Appritiate your earnestness!

So what was your decision? Dosn't do us any good, if we don't know what you decided:D

zx6rdr
09-03-09, 09:22 AM

SSgt, I am running the clearance program for the chair force out here in Colorado; every reg that I have seen still says 5 years. However, there maybe some special circumstances out there that I havent ran across yet...

Petz
09-03-09, 09:33 AM
hmmm... well, as I said I'm not a professional in this matter and I would probably be wrong.

I'll say from the fact that two Marines have given opposing evidence that I'm wrong.

Semper Fi.

zx6rdr
09-03-09, 09:40 AM
hmmm... well, as I said I'm not a professional in this matter and I would probably be wrong.

I'll say from the fact that two Marines have given opposing evidence that I'm wrong.

Semper Fi.

SSgt, I wasnt trying to call you out on being wrong; just an FYI post

Petz
09-03-09, 09:50 AM
but that's just it, I was initially saying I have NO CLUE, just what I read in some paper then my brother confirmed it. It could have been for certain things or it could have been something that wasn't passed in a bill... many things could have happened.

zx6rdr
09-03-09, 09:56 AM
but that's just it, I was initially saying I have NO CLUE, just what I read in some paper then my brother confirmed it. It could have been for certain things or it could have been something that wasn't passed in a bill... many things could have happened.

Roger that.

Ryokeen
09-03-09, 01:09 PM
I am going in training like an 0321, as an 0231, and expect to maintain those physical fitness levels, so that upon reaching my duty station and putting in my (two years is it now?) I can apply for a latmove, if I so desire. First I'll get my Title, get established, feel out if the drive is still there, and then make the choice to persue, or not to persue Recon. Thank you Marines!