PDA

View Full Version : Combat Jobs

Poolee Hubbard
08-29-09, 02:40 PM
I am interested in finding a combat job. I guess like an infantryman but with a special trade. From my own research, I have only come up with Combat Camera and Combat Engineer.

I was completely in love with the idea of Combat Engineer but I noticed a requirement was normal color vision. AHH! I am only color blind when it comes down to LED lights. I need some direction.

tangovictor87
08-29-09, 03:09 PM
the tankers and AAV's see quite a bit of combat as well. i think you need normal color vision however. combat camera doesn't guarantee combat or even deployment. you might get stuck at MCRD taking snaps of recruits on the confidence course.

BR34
08-29-09, 03:25 PM
True about AAV Crewman, but the next best thing (I would think) would be AAV mechanic. They still get to drive the AAVs (recovery types), they go everywhere the other AAVs go, AND they get to learn how to work on hydraulics and other areas of the vehicle. Oh, and MK19 as an added bonus.

tangovictor87
08-29-09, 03:38 PM
the r7 doesn't have the UGWS with the .50 cal and mk19. just a 240.

but even as a mechanic for both vehicles you still need normal color vision

jprtech
08-29-09, 03:47 PM
I was completely in love with the idea of Combat Engineer but I noticed a requirement was normal color vision. AHH! I am only color blind when it comes down to LED lights. I need some direction.

I was a Combat Engineer. You train alot with the grunts depending on what unit you get assigned. If you are assigned to a support unit like a Marine Wing Support Squadron or an FSSG, you will do alot of construction jobs. Mostly in the rear type jobs like building bunkers, fortifications, tent decking, ****ters, etc. If you get lucky and get assigned to the MarDiv, you will be in the field alot... and will do alot of demolition, mine field clearing, as well as the construction type jobs. You could also get assigned to a bridge company where you will hump and assemble bridges. Regardless though, you will get to train with the grunts alot... so be prepared for alot of time in the field.

Remember one thing though... Regardless of what your PMOS is...A Marine is a rifleman, first and foremost.

Whatever you decide...good luck.

BR34
08-29-09, 07:27 PM
the r7 doesn't have the UGWS with the .50 cal and mk19. just a 240.

but even as a mechanic for both vehicles you still need normal color vision

Did you say "JUST" a 240? Man, I'd take a 240 any day, over the weapon I roll with in my MOS. We call it 3270...intimidating as hell.

Seriously though, the requirements for 2141 make no mention of normal color vision. It's something I at one time thought about lat moving to.

Blues65
08-29-09, 08:34 PM
Every Marine is an infantryman first, the trade is secondary. I was a radio repairman with a tank platoon and our tank platoon (me included) supported operations with and without tanks.

tangovictor87
08-30-09, 02:28 PM
Seriously though, the requirements for 2141 make no mention of normal color vision. It's something I at one time thought about lat moving to.

just confirmed this with a recruiter. you do need normal color vision.

Backhaus 1103
09-04-09, 08:14 AM
How about you try infantry. You seriously think there arn't specialty skills needed in the infantry.

Petz
09-04-09, 08:16 AM
the D9 has the .50 cal.

combat engineers clear buildings just like grunts, but CE gets to use high explosives to make new entries.

MT Maint if you're in a victor goes where the grunts go.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-06-09, 06:26 PM
You can try Radio Operator.

All infantry battalions have radiomen in them and if you get assigned with a line company then you will do as they do. Even if you don't get assigned to a line unit it is still an interesting job.

As a radioman you may get stationed with tanks, arty, AAV, infantry, or comm units. You have no say in what type of unit you get sent to.