PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing / Pull Up Record at MCRD SD

Edward76
08-28-09, 09:49 AM
Just out of curiousity, are there any rock climbers in here?
just picked it up this summer and it's a hell of a workout. Definetely helps with pull ups and all around body conditioning. As well as mental aspects / problem solving too.
I've also heard rumors about there being a pull up record at MCRD SD, which was set by a "rock climber." Apparently it was 100+? anybody know about this? This is my first posting of a new thread so if I did anything wrong let me know... Have a good day.
-Poolee Potter

Flic
08-28-09, 10:15 AM
https://www.marines.usmc.mil/NinjaWarrior.html

It's an article on the Marine with the pull up record.

Capital M
08-28-09, 11:51 AM
It works your fore-arms like whoaa. Gives you a lot of finger strength too.

Just be safe when your doing it. No need to go falling off a 40 ft cliff a month before you ship out to RT

SabreJack
08-28-09, 02:48 PM
Finger and grip strength grows exponentially. On the other hand, rock climbing doesn't shred the upper body like some would think. If you are climbing technically sound, you should be using your feet way more than your arms. I climbed for about 2 years, and the biggest thing I learned was that if you are going to use your arms to climb, you are going to get tired real quick. I don't know if you've had the chance to climb a rated route, but I would say if you picked it up this summer, you are probably climbing a 5.9-5.10 without any takes. Back when I was climbing, I was climbing 6.1s consistently. Arms will get you to the top if it's only a 30 foot climb or so, but climbing any roofs/hangs, and you will NEED your feet.

Do not substitute rock climbing for pullups or weightlifting--it will not help you.

gonzo4
08-28-09, 03:46 PM
I took up rock climbing in college. I love it so much but I am gonna tell you if you are in the pool I would keep to indoor stuff if you are still a newbie. I had a neighbor who lost her nephew a couple weeks ago because he was a new climber and took too much of a risk. Rock climbing takes as much mind power as finger and leg power so stay sharp and don't get lazy just because you are getting better. Keep climbing though just stay safe.

Edward76
08-29-09, 07:51 AM
bouldering, I've come to find, is an excellent workout. I agree that you should not substitute it with a regular workout/pull ups, but whenever I go, my muscles get smoked for a few days afterwards. I try not to use my legs too much while bouldering simply for the fact that I want to work the pull up muscles as much as I can. It's just an experiment and I'll see how it goes, but for now, it's a lot of fun and a pretty solid workout.

SabreJack
08-29-09, 05:34 PM
Bouldering and traverse were my favorite. They were fun, and all you needed was shoes and chalk, no ropes, partners or other gear. Quick and easy. If you want to progress as a climber, use your feet. If you climb some indoor walls, they will often put numbers for where your hands ought to go for traverse, but all feet are on. This requires you to develop footwork and proper body positioning. It is a lot of fun, but does not have many applications as far as workouts go. It does build muscular endurance, but not a lot of strength. Indeed, have fun and stay safe.