PDA

View Full Version : My son

mynameispawpaw
08-28-09, 08:47 AM
After serving in the beloved Corps for 5 years active, then having to get out on a medical. I can now proudly say that my youngest son is now in boot camp. He left on August 17th to enter the Corps. He is finishing his second week as I write this.

I know that I can never convey how proud I am that he is fulfilling something that not many young people can, or will in this day and age. I tell him in my letters how proud I am. I can't get over the dread/fear/pride that I have for my son. I know that with him going in 03xx field that he will end up on the line somewhere and I worry about him. I have no doubt that he will make myself and his mother proud. My mind is a jumble of thoughts. I think about him often and think about his progress.

I just wanted to write my thoughts down and express some of my pride on this rag, and let him know that it's more than just me and my wife that are pulling for him. Thanks for listening and I will have him become a member as soon as he gets out of Boot.

Semper Fi

0331 2 0369
08-28-09, 09:06 AM
Congrats and best of luck to your son. Being a former grunt I can tell you that he will be trained well and have plenty of people watching his back when he goes across the pond. Keep us updated on his progress and let him know we are pulling for him to make it. :beer:

mynameispawpaw
08-28-09, 09:32 AM
I appreciate it and will let him know that there are many people cheering him on and will let all know about his progress in boot.

Petz
08-28-09, 09:40 AM
yes, I also want to congratulate you... if this next one of ours is a son (find out in two weeks) I'd be proud if he chose to become a Marine as well.

Keep us up to date in this thread. Semper Fi.

mynameispawpaw
08-28-09, 09:50 AM
There is a flag near the entrance of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Washington . At its base are the seals of all the services.

Every morning, the Marines from the Marine Barracks at Eighth & I polish the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The other seals have not been touched since the Memorial was built.

Truly a motivational continuance of our motto, "Semper Fidelis".

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/cid:1.1261788591@web62003.mail.re1.yahoo.com

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/cid:2.1261788591@web62003.mail.re1.yahoo.com

J Cooper
08-29-09, 03:53 PM
Congratulations to him and your family. Im sure he will do just fine.

SGT7477
08-29-09, 06:12 PM
Congrats to you and your son, Semper FI Marine.

mynameispawpaw
09-22-09, 04:22 PM
As of Sunday the 20th, he is at Pendelton doing second phase. His platoon placed first in initial drill and they got a phone call home. The connection was horrible, and he sounded drained, and hoarse, but he's keeping his spirits up. His mother was none the better after the phone call, but I re-assured her that he is OK, and that this is natural. Will let you know more as it develops. Semper Fi

Osotogary
09-22-09, 05:09 PM
mynameispawpaw,
Terrific news about your son. I wish him all the best. Don't forget that you may be able to download his training matrix from the MCRD website, that way you both can more or less have a good idea what he is in store for, even though I know you know about such things. Sometimes a printout is a good quick reference. Once again, pass on my best to your son and his fellow recruits when you write him again.
Adios, for now.
Gary

Rocky C
09-22-09, 05:32 PM
Congrats to You, your Family and your Son.
Keep us posted.
Semper Fi Marine.
Rocky

MontezumaCpl
09-23-09, 12:25 AM
Congrats to you, your son, your Family and your wife, who will soon be a Marine Mom!

Ooh-rah!

mynameispawpaw
10-01-09, 10:50 AM
I just sent my son a new letter. (I write and send one as often as possible, as I know how lonely it is.) He should be shooting this week. This makes me proud as an 8531 PMI. I hope that some of the training that I gave him took, but I know that he is receiving some of the best training in the world. I am anxious to hear from him to find out how well he did. He stated in his last letter that he is hoping for the sharpshooter badge, but I think he got the sharpshooter and Expert mixed up. I would like to see an Expert badge on him when I get to San Diego, but I will be proud even if he is wearing a "pizza box". Anyway, that is where he is in training, and will keep you posted.

P.S. I have already told him to join this site when he gets out of boot!

mynameispawpaw
10-01-09, 10:55 AM
Congrats to you, your son, your Family and your wife, who will soon be a Marine Mom!

Ooh-rah!

I have already bought my wife a moms flag from Sgt. Grit. We used to live in OKC and I visited his place often. She is very proud, but worried about her baby boy all the time.

:flag::usmc:

mynameispawpaw
10-01-09, 10:57 AM

Ooh-rah!

I have already bought my wife a mom's flag from Sgt Grit. We used to live just east of OKC and I went there often. She is very proud, yet worried every day for her baby boy. I have to keep reassuring her that he is going to be OK.

FistFu68
10-01-09, 11:37 AM
:usmc: Just think how Proud He is going too Be when He Sees His MaMa @ PaPa and He is a United States Marine the Whole family will walk tall :usmc: :thumbup:

charm1110
10-01-09, 01:55 PM
Congratulations! I can't imagine how proud you and your wife must be! give him my best in your next letter.

Semper Fi...:flag:

mynameispawpaw
10-02-09, 08:12 AM
Semper Fi to all, I just got a new letter yesterday! My son is depressed, he is feeling a little homesick. I keep telling him that it is going to get better and to keep his head up. He sent me his target from the 1000 inch range where they set their dope for BZO. They look good but I being a PMI can tell what he was doing wrong on the first one, and what he improved on the second and third target. He is shooting this week and today should be qual day. Can't wait to see what his score is. It won't matter, I will be proud whatever it is.
Semper Fi

mynameispawpaw
10-08-09, 01:21 PM
So, my son just sent another letter. He shot one point under Expert. Still a proud Dad! He said that he got ahead of himself on qual day. Pre-qual he shot expert, but I'm still proud. He says that he's jonesing for some chocolate, that he would kill for a zero candy bar. He and his platoon had to unblouse and button up because they screwed up on drill, but they are still motivated. I will keep everyone updated, Semper Fi

Osotogary
10-08-09, 04:17 PM
Great news about your son, mynameispawpaw. It is good that you heard from him. You know there was a time when I didn't know squat about what my son was going in Boot Camp aside from my references to the training matrix. All of a sudden , as I was navigating the Parris Island MCRD website, support groups and all, I see a photograph of the young man as a Guidon during the Crucible. I guess what I am trying to say is that you might wish to visit the MCRD website and check out their images every now and then and, as your Marine Corps son advances in his career, you might be able to see his picture on the Battalion or Regimental websites.
Pass on my best to your son.

mynameispawpaw
10-13-09, 03:30 PM
I don't know which website to go and look at, but I will keep trying to find it. There are dozens for MCRD San Diego. Thanks

mynameispawpaw
10-26-09, 11:22 AM
Just another update, as of this morning 10/26/09, my son is at 17 and a wake-up. He got recruiter assistant, so he will be home for a while. His MOS school is backed up till January. (His MOS school is SOI) I am proud to hear that it is backed up, that means that there are more and more devil dogs stepping up and closing with the enemy of the United States. My son has changed since he has been in boot camp. I can tell a difference in his writing. He has grown up a lot. Before, when he got there he was a scared kid, and now just less than 3 months later he sounds like a man that is taking responsibility. I can't wait to see him, he graduates on Nov. 13th and we are flying out on the 11th to be there for it. My parents couldn't be there for my graduation due to health issues and such, but I assured my son that it didn't matter if I was on my death bed, I would be there for his graduation. I know what it means. It was by far the most important day of my life up to that point, and I know that it will be for him also. Semper Fi

Petz
10-26-09, 12:28 PM
that's freaking awesome. You going to be at the ball in your area? most are going on around the 7th, so you have time to buy a ticket and recover afterwards. contact your local reserve units or recruiting office.

Hotel4341
10-26-09, 12:42 PM
What a lucky devil, getting the birthday during Marine Week. I hope his DI's let him in on some of the fun. It's good to hear the school isn't as backed up as last year. I graduated about a month before your son is scheduled to, and the grunts in my boot camp platoon didn't pick up until January. What's this week again? Test week?

mynameispawpaw
10-26-09, 03:50 PM
This week should be PT and then the crucible? I don't know, a lot has changed since I went through LOL. When I went through, we had PT all the time and then we had Mount Mother-F*****. Then we came back home for the last month, mess and maintenance. I don't know what I'm gonna do for Marine Corps birthday, I know that I'm driving to Oklahoma on the 10th to fly out of, (don't know why, but it's cheaper to fly out of there than Dallas, when the flight goes to Dallas then on to San Diego). I'm a little broke after making reservations for me, my wife and other son, plus rooms and rental car. I'll probably just sip a bit on my bottle of Crown Reserve that I have for special occasions and toast those that have come before and those that will become Marines in the future. Semper Fi Devil Dogs

Bdchi1
10-26-09, 04:18 PM
PawPaw...I get lost in your emotions toward your young soon-to-be devil dog. I appreciate you sharing a father's pride with such naked sentiment. I think you should print these posts and mail them to him at some point down the road. I always new my old man was proud of me, but he never was the type to share/say it. Believe me when I say that a child realizes every lost opportunity to show unabashed love and pride by the parent.

Congrats to you and your wife. I wish many more years of pride in your son, both in and out of the Corps.

Semper Fi, and thank you for sharing your personal feelings during your son's boot camp progression.

mynameispawpaw
10-28-09, 08:23 AM
15 and a wake-up!!! I got a phone call last night! His platoon took final drill and he said that he has the crucible next week. He is stoked! In just a few days I will be flying out to see him and see the change in my son. His mother and I can't wait to be there. Semper Fi.

mynameispawpaw
11-02-09, 10:30 AM
Crucible week. I just found his picture on devildogs.org. AWESOME! I had to watch the video 3 times to pick him out. He has changed so much, gone is the wiry kid that I sent out west, in his place stands a man. In less than 2 weeks I will meet my new Marine. I just hope that he hasn't lost his sense of humor. Semper Fi

josephd
11-04-09, 01:25 AM
awesome pawpaw!...just plain awesome. I find it pretty unique that he will be earning his title right at our birthday time. Wish him luck for me through the next week.

rrraah!

Captain Kirk
11-04-09, 06:11 AM
pawpaw, Reading your posts on your son brought a tear to my old eyes. I'm nearly as proud as you are Give hei a bigh Semper Fi from all of us.

Jarhead6193
11-04-09, 06:31 AM
PawPaw,
My son also graduates this month on the 20th but on the other coast, he is at Parris Island. We have recruited 20 family and close freinds to take to his day. He has no clue that we are bringing so many it will be great. Congrats to you and your son next friday, enjoy the day its once in a lifetime. Semper Fi Devil Dad

mynameispawpaw
11-04-09, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all your posts, and sorry about the tear Captain Kirk. More good news!!! His older brother, my 20 year old son, sent me the phone call yesterday. I know that it's not the Marines but he is enlisting in the Navy. He has tried several jobs since high school and nothing has worked out for him. He is an accomplished guitar player, but the aspirations of being in a band and making boo coo money hasn't developed. I am possibly the proudest dad in the history of dads! As for my youngest: 9 AND A WAKE UP!!!! OOOOO RAAAAHHHHHHH. Semper Fi

Captain Kirk
11-04-09, 12:09 PM
Good for you pawpaw. You can be very proud of them both as we are.

Semper Fi

MontezumaCpl
11-04-09, 09:00 PM
PawPaw,

Wont be long for the next generation of Marines! Ooh-Rah to a Proud Paw Paw! You have every right in the World to be a Proud Paw Paw! Marines and Navy, always a Great Combo!!!

Semper Fi!

echo3oscar1833
11-05-09, 10:43 AM
Sir, when your son graduates boot camp get him to set up an account here on the site. We would be proud to have him, and welcome him with open arms. Semper Fi PawPaw:marine:

usmc1833
11-11-09, 09:52 AM
I am so happy that your son is doing well. Having a father who was a Marine, Man he is a lucky child. Good for you. You must be so proud. Semper Fi and be sure to let us now how all is going. OOH-RAH Devil. :iwo:

Goodenough89
11-11-09, 10:09 AM
Congradulations. It's an honor I tell you.

Hotel4341
11-12-09, 08:17 AM
If I'm not mistaken Paw Paw, is tomorrow the big day?

mynameispawpaw
11-16-09, 10:06 AM
My son has graduated!! I can't tell you how proud I am of him at this point. At this time he is now at home being spoiled rotten by my wife and enjoying his time off. I will have him join this site asap. OOOOO RAAAAAHHH. I don't know how to insert his picture here but I will keep trying.

MIKECHRY
11-16-09, 12:36 PM
I can relate brother. Both of my sons are now in the Corps and my youngest graduates Parris Island on Dec 11. I never would have imagined I raised a couple of grunts. Go figure!!

charm1110
11-16-09, 12:54 PM
Congratulations PawPaw,

I can only say...OOOOOOOORAAAAAAH!

MontezumaCpl
11-16-09, 01:25 PM
Big Congrats, Paw Paw! Welcome to Corps, Again! OOH-RAH!!!

Semper Fi!

doc h fmf
11-18-09, 06:11 PM
Congrats pawpaw,the son thats joining the navy talk him into going to HM school . congrats again and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

SGT7477
11-18-09, 07:36 PM
Congrats pawpaw to you and your son, Semper FI.

Tracylaud83
02-21-10, 01:27 PM
My son left with the recruiter at 9:00 am this morning.
I'm looking forward to a picture of me and him both in uniform together in 3 months (I wear mine for funerals at the National Cemitary on my days off).
Congrats to you and your son..:flag:

Rocky C
02-21-10, 03:54 PM
My son has graduated!! I can't tell you how proud I am of him at this point. At this time he is now at home being spoiled rotten by my wife and enjoying his time off. I will have him join this site asap. OOOOO RAAAAAHHH. I don't know how to insert his picture here but I will keep trying.

:usmc::thumbup::flag:

Rocky C
02-21-10, 03:55 PM
My son left with the recruiter at 9:00 am this morning.
I'm looking forward to a picture of me and him both in uniform together in 3 months (I wear mine for funerals at the National Cemitary on my days off).
Congrats to you and your son..

:thumbup::D:iwo:

PMSQueen
02-21-10, 05:45 PM
mynameispawpaw,
Congratulations to your son and your family! I have to second Bdchi1's eloquent post.

Your words, "I can't get over the dread/fear/pride that I have for my son. I know that with him going in 03xx field that he will end up on the line somewhere and I worry about him," struck a chord within me because it brought back memories of when my son first told me he was going into the Navy ROTC to become a Marine, and now after he left not too long ago on his first deployment.

Tracylaud83,

Congratulations to you and yours too! :-)