PDA

View Full Version : Promotion

Silver_XAT
08-12-02, 07:20 PM
I know that it's up to you to make your career, but with that said, is there any way to figure out how high a rank you can expect achieve if you were an avg or better marine officer with a few years...

Sixguns
08-12-02, 07:33 PM
Think of the officer structure like a pyramid. There is very little room at the top. As you progress up the ladder, there are fewer opportunities to advance. The progression of an officer is based not only on MOS, but on retention within the officer corps. If retention is poor, more officers are allowed to stay and promotion opportunities are improved. Conversely, if retention is high, the promotion process becomes more competitive to see who the few officers are that can stay. There is no way to predict the future. But for history's sake, you might want to do a little research to see how many commandants were infantry officers.

SF

Silver_XAT
08-12-02, 07:54 PM
By infantry officers, do you mean 03's? or specifically 0331's? Do you think mobile infantry like LAV's 0313, or AAV's would be rated as highly in that regard? Secondly, will my reserve experiece with AAV's effect my MOS opportunities should i decide to go to PLC, or if i went active duty, would that time in such a unit direct my officer MOS in any way after attending OCS? Thx again six, u the man!

Sixguns
08-15-02, 06:18 PM
MOS - 03 = Infantry.

Regardless of what specialty you may have within this Occ Field, you are still considered an an infantryman. Machine gunner, mortars, LAVs, makes no difference, they are all infantry.

Officers do not get to choose their MOS when they opt for PLC or OCC. Essentially, your academic standing in the training course will allow you the opportunity to make your choice. Regardless of your previous experience, you will be allowed to pursue any MOS you are qualified for. Now, if you were going for a Warrant Officer program, chances are you would have to apply in your enlisted MOS, because you have the most experience in that field. Again, you could still ask to be a WO in any career field that has openings.

Don't try to figure all of the officer stuff out now. Just focus on the enlisted and reserve opportunities you may sign up for first. Work hard to become a Marine and the rest will work itself out later. Remember, there are going to be folks in your reserve unit or in supervisory roles in your enlistment who can help you to prepare for the officer transformation when you are ready to make those plans.