PDA

View Full Version : With son in Marines, Loveland’s Eron Wilke reaching out to others

thedrifter
08-24-09, 08:21 AM
Publish Date: 8/24/2009
With son in Marines, Loveland’s Eron Wilke reaching out to others

By Sarah Bultema
Loveland Reporter-Herald
Since Allen Wilke joined the Marines more than a year ago, his mother, Loveland’s Eron Wilke, has missed her son terribly.

Unlike a having child who moved to college, Wilke said, she hardly even can contact 19-year-old Allen, let alone see him.

“I just miss him and worry about him,” she said with tears in her eyes.

“I’ve never been in the military. It’s hard to understand.”

However, the mother of the Marine knows she’s not the only community member in this situation.

And now, she’s hoping to gather other local military moms to start a support group for women just like her.

“I know I’m not alone, but I feel alone,” Wilke said. “There’s got to be other moms out there,

and it would be nice to have someone else who understands.”

While she and most other mothers of soldiers have a support network in family members and friends, Wilke said, a group of women in the same situation would offer a point of view and compassion no one outside of that group could.

“You need someone else who understands to say ‘It’ll be OK’ and be a shoulder to cry on during those bad days,” Wilke said. “It’d be nice to connect with other moms.”

With her son about to be deployed to Afghanistan, Wilke hopes other mothers will contact her to help start the group.

To connect with Wilke, e-mail her at mazewilke@msn.com.

Sarah Bultema can be reached at 669-5050, ext. 516, or sbultema@reporter-herald.com.

Ellie