PDA

View Full Version : Beirut Memorial Service

thedrifter
08-05-03, 09:21 AM
From the Jacksonville Daily News
Aug. 3, 2003

The Beirut Veterans of America and The Beirut Connection on Oct. 22-23 will mark the 20th anniversary of the barracks bombing in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed more than 200 service members, most from Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station.

The 20th Remembrance will feature a 6 a.m. candlelight vigil at the Beirut Memorial on Lejeune Boulevard. All the names on the wall will be read aloud.

"Reading their names aloud ensures that these men are sacrificed for their courage and their sacrifice," said retired Marine Maj. Bob Jordan, founding president of the BVA.

At 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 23 there will be a special ceremony at the memorial featuring guest speaker retired Marine General Al Gray, former Marine Corps Commandant. A banquet is set later that evening.

The BVA is a veterans' group formed in 1992 to ensure that those killed in Beirut are remembered. The Beirut Connection is a group of families who joined together soon after the bombing to mourn their deceased relatives.

Visit their Web site: http://www.beirutveterans.com

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

mark.c.warren
08-17-03, 02:33 AM
I was present at the dedication of the Beirut Memorial in 1984.
As I recall it was placed behind the Camp LeJeune H.Q. Bldg. and later pear trees were planted on Hwy. 24.

Is there a new one on LeJeune blvd?, or am I remembering wrong?

MCW

Phantom Blooper
08-17-03, 07:44 AM
There is a memorial at Camp Geiger at the traffic circle. This memorial was dedicated by the Military Order of Devil Dogs. The main memorial is located at the entrance to Camp Johnson,seen from Hwy. 24 (Lejeune Blvd.)This is the memorial that the hallowed ground was dedicated on in 1984. The memorial was built entirely of donations,and the ground was donated by Camp Lejeune. At a further date there is to be a Vietnam Memorial and a pond put in that area,They are still collecting donations for that memorial. Hopefully one day there will be other memorials dedicated to other wars and conflicts on this site....each one separated in it's own right, similar to D.C.. Bradford pear trees lined Hwy.24 and a bunch still do........a lot were moved after much debate by survivors and families to allow a bypass to come down through the city of Jacksonville. They were moved closer to the main entrance to Camp Lejeune. At the time I did not agree with this measure ,but engineers and botanical experts were brought in and the trees were moved and none died.I know of no memorials on mainside Camp Lejeune other than the Iwo Jima at the parade grounds and the recent World Trade Center beam, donated by NYC fireman..dedicated at the July 4th 2003 ceremony. However when Camp Geiger was disolved of 8th Marines and they moved the regiment to mainside in the 1/8 HQ's building a young trooper painted a mural depicting the 1982-1984 peacekeeping mission. It is said to also have in a glass case different artifacts of that fateful day..i.e. duty log and other things. I am however working with the director of the proposed Marine Corps museum here in Jacksonville,NC to procure those items and have an area set up for that time frame in Beirut,Lebanon at the proposed museum. I hope this answered some questions for you. And to my knowledge I believe it is correct. Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :marine:

gyrene79
08-27-03, 09:52 PM
A very good friend died that day his bunk was on the 2nd floor
right above where the truck came in at,,It took 7 days to dig
down to his body.,,His name was Cpl Richard Blankinship.
There doing a dedication to his son,who was only 2yrs old
in 1983,,It will be in Thomasville.NC. Sept 20
All of us that lost our brothers that day our welcome
to attend.

Semper Fi