PDA

View Full Version : 03 Contracts

Zoltta1
08-21-09, 01:05 PM
Anyone know if they are open right now? I signed on yesterday as a reserve hoping to go active soon after i get out of training but was wondering if they were opening currently if anyone has signed up recently

Dist Expert 26
08-21-09, 01:39 PM
I got mine last month, but I'm shipping next year. Come October everything will be open.

Zoltta1
08-21-09, 01:41 PM
So if i ship November 02 and everything is open in Oct (if it does), is it possible for me to switch from Reserve 0311 to Active 03xx before i ship?

sbombard15
08-21-09, 01:45 PM
You could get one right now if your recruiter works for it. My recruiter called in a favor so I could get mine.

SabreJack
08-21-09, 02:21 PM
Everything does not necessarily open at the start of the fiscal year. You have to take into account all of the poolees who already enlisted this year, but can't go until next year. For instance, I signed as an open contract but was told that i can get an 02XX by the Master Sergeant for my area. The lead SSgt reviewed some information and told me that there are NO open 02XX jobs for our area for the entire next year. Something you could talk to your recruiter about (assuming its more important for you to go active duty than it is to go in as soon as possible) is waiting til after the start of the fiscal year to enlist but not shipping til real late in FY10 or real early in FY11...discuss with your recruiter all of the possibilities. GyC may be able to give you more guidance than any of us poolees can. I would suggest sending a PM to him with detail-oriented questions that we cannot answer.

Zoltta1
08-21-09, 03:23 PM
Everything does not necessarily open at the start of the fiscal year. You have to take into account all of the poolees who already enlisted this year, but can't go until next year. For instance, I signed as an open contract but was told that i can get an 02XX by the Master Sergeant for my area. The lead SSgt reviewed some information and told me that there are NO open 02XX jobs for our area for the entire next year. Something you could talk to your recruiter about (assuming its more important for you to go active duty than it is to go in as soon as possible) is waiting til after the start of the fiscal year to enlist but not shipping til real late in FY10 or real early in FY11...discuss with your recruiter all of the possibilities. GyC may be able to give you more guidance than any of us poolees can. I would suggest sending a PM to him with detail-oriented questions that we cannot answer.

hmmm i guess so. Only thing that got me thinking was a poolee who posted in the Ship Dates thread yesterday said he was shipping in January as 03xx he just got that day.

Deleon1992
08-22-09, 02:52 PM
Hmm I had talked to my recruiter about this and I had told him I wanted 03xx but he he said of I wanted to do it I would have to wait until 2010 because that is when the slots open up and I agreed so thats why my ship date is 20100125!

Eldridge0311
08-22-09, 03:50 PM
I have talked to numerous recruiters as well as GyC. All of the jobs that are coming out have already been out the only jobs that will come out come October are the Bonus jobs, like the jobs with bonuses and other jobs such as the UZ contract.

Some of this information may be wrong, but from what I have been told the only way a job will open up to you ( the jobs already taken that is like the UH contract and such ) is if someone drops out or fails the IST. Unless you want a bonus job.

This is for AD, I am not sure how the Reserves do it though.

This post is not to let anyone down, just to inform you what's going on. If you want a job, you better clench your butt cheeks and hold on for the ride, because it might be brutal.

All in all don't give up, it's not in our nature as Future Marines. So if you want something go for it.

Good luck to all my fellow Poolees.

EricB146
08-22-09, 11:42 PM
I got my 03 contract. It's not an open 03 contract, but I ship out 20100614.

Eldridge0311
08-23-09, 12:04 AM
I got my 03 contract. It's not an open 03 contract, but I ship out 20100614.

I am sure everyone will tell you tomorrow but your going AD like you told me.. so your 0311 contract is not set, it is only the 03xx field.

ZombieWolf
08-23-09, 11:29 AM
Anyone know if they are open right now? I signed on yesterday as a reserve hoping to go active soon after i get out of training but was wondering if they were opening currently if anyone has signed up recently

It really depends on where your located, but during this time of year theyre hard to come by.

I got one though threw my top 3 request this month. there were only about 5 for the state of kentucky- and they go fast. i ship out this december

and you only get 03xx. they determine 0311 or any other specifics in SOI.

MarinesFTW
08-23-09, 04:18 PM
Why did you sign as a reserve, if you want to go active?

Zoltta1
08-23-09, 05:50 PM
Why did you sign as a reserve, if you want to go active?

would not give me one as active

Cressler
08-23-09, 06:00 PM
?

ZombieWolf
08-23-09, 08:29 PM
would not give me one as active

They wouldn't give you one as active, and now your looking for one from as a reserve, and from there you want to go active??

You might have better luck getting one as active IMO

Zoltta1
08-23-09, 08:47 PM
They wouldn't give you one as active, and now your looking for one from as a reserve, and from there you want to go active??

You might have better luck getting one as active IMO

They said as a reserve, i activate myself from my reserve unit for a year and then apply to become active. It was that or i had to pick another MOS which i dont want to do.

Cressler
08-23-09, 09:19 PM
it'll be hard to switch to active the way it is filling up at this point in time i think your recruiter is screwin with you a little bit

why couldnt' they get you an 03xx contract the new year just started there has got to still be some open no way did they fill the quota that quick

Eldridge0311
08-23-09, 09:29 PM
it'll be hard to switch to active the way it is filling up at this point in time i think your recruiter is screwin with you a little bit

why couldnt' they get you an 03xx contract the new year just started there has got to still be some open no way did they fill the quota that quick

Lol the very first week the 03xx jobs came out up here they were gone already for the new year.

Zoltta1
08-23-09, 09:56 PM
who knows by the time im done with training what will open up. I will try and do whatever i can until the following year to try and get out into something

Hartford
08-24-09, 02:32 PM
Don't go Reserves if you WANT Active Duty...now is the only time you have any kind of bargaining power...once you're in, you're in and that's it. It's much harder than the recruiters may tell you to go from Reserves to Active. It's not that they're lying it's just how they phrase it, they'll usually say something like "After a year in the Reserves you CAN apply to switch to Active Duty."

They're just saying you could do it...maybe...but the poolee usually hears what he wants to hear and that is he will switch to AD after a eyar.

McFeely
08-24-09, 02:58 PM
IF it were me and I wanted to go active but the spot I wanted wasn't open, I would just pick an open MOS.

1. From what I hear it is not easy to go from reserve to active especially right now because they are over enlisted. Dont quote me on this but I think recruiters have to put so many people in as reserves as well.

2. You can always apply to transfer to a new job after you have been in it for two years. Now you want to be a Marine first and job second so if you want active make sure you do it now or you may regret it.

3. You have the power to walk away no matter if your in the DEP or not so take control of the situation. (recruiters don't come out and tell you that you can quit the DEP but you can.)

Zoltta1
08-24-09, 03:33 PM
I guess its a little too late now idk. I really dont want to do anything other than 03. He said after im done with training, volunteer for anything the unit has to offer. Then after about a year of activation you can app for active. I tried to reason with them but they keep telling me i cant switch to active right now, nor are spots open even if i could.

Im not really sure what to do and i dont want to pick another MOS just so i can go active.

Cressler
08-24-09, 03:49 PM
if you want combat arms go tanks or artillery active duty then in 2 years you can make a lat move to 03xx

McFeely
08-24-09, 05:05 PM
I know they can be intimidating but just last week I had to switch jobs for next year. I leave Jan 30th and they have plenty of artillery and various positions open for active duty. Dont make a commitment your going to regret. If your serious about the Marines than show them. I bet if you show them that your pretty much only interested in active duty than within a few days something will "open up". There is no guarantee that you could even if your contract says that your 03xx that you will actually get that. There are no guarantees for an position in the Marines. When it comes down to it you go where they need you. Thats why everyone ships with two contracts. One with a specified field and one an open contract.