PDA

View Full Version : Newest Marine

KaBar762
08-18-09, 10:27 PM
I graduated from PI 090814 with 1st Bn, Charlie Co., Plt 1052. I started out in 3rd Bn, Kilo Co., Plt 3057, then dropped for pneumonia to EHP. Picked up with 2nd Bn, Golf Co., Plt 2054. Being a 92-day Reservist accelerated me 1 week to Charlie Co. If you have questions I'll be more than happy to answer them. The best advice is live each day chow to chow, Sunday to Sunday and be LOUD and have intensity.

PFC Jonson

Jvasquez
08-19-09, 01:22 AM
Congratulations Marine
i got a few Questions if you dont Mind
how Exactly was the first three days at PI?
and How those the whole initial Uniform issue works
Any suggestions from your experience? like what not to do and what to do
Congratulations again Marine

KaBar762
08-19-09, 02:06 AM
Congratulations Marine
i got a few Questions if you dont Mind
how Exactly was the first three days at PI?
and How those the whole initial Uniform issue works
Any suggestions from your experience? like what not to do and what to do
Congratulations again Marine

The first 2 days you wont be getting any sleep. We were up for somewhere around 40hrs straight. There was a few times where we weren't doing anything and it would be hard to stay awake. Drink water and police eachother. You don't want to get caught sleeping. Marines will be yelling at you. Just do what they say, its nothing personal. You'll get hair cuts, cammies, go to dental and I believe get shots before you get any sleep. You'll also do paper work (lots of it) and get your picture taken for your ID card (you'll get that during Marine week).

Uniform issue consists of a Marine looking at you real quick and telling you what size to get. You'll get certain items at certain times. Make sure it fits, especially the boots. If your not wearing thick socks there should be some free space in your boot. Don't be afraid to tell them you need a different size. They may yell at you but thats better then being stuck with boots that don't fit for the rest of recruit training. After you get everything you'll change out of your civilian clothes, undies and all (hope your not shy). They will look you over real quick to make sure it looks like it fits and then your done.

Don't say sorry, thank you, excuse me or pardon me. Say recieved sir for thank you and this recruit did not hear/understand the Drill Instructor for excuse me/pardon me. Last just make sure to refer to yourself in the 3rd person, this recruit. Do that and be loud and intense and you'll be fine. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems. When you get done you'll look back and realize it wasn't so bad. Ask your recieving Drill Instructor to show you how to roll your sleeves properly if he doesn't on his own. Nothings worse than a garbage looking recruit. Be prepared to get sick within the first 2 weeks. Its up to you whether you go to medical or not. If you just have a cold and can keep going stay away from medical. Best of luck to you. If you have any more questions just ask. Since getting back from boot camp I don't sleep much.

PFC Jonson

Jvasquez
08-19-09, 02:18 AM
Thank You allot This was very helpful.
How about the Chow, how is the process like? and what type of drinks do they have?
and do you get time to talk to the other recruits or is it always quiet?
And did when did You recieve Your Dog tags.
Sorry for all these questions.

KaBar762
08-19-09, 09:06 AM
Thank You allot This was very helpful.
How about the Chow, how is the process like? and what type of drinks do they have?
and do you get time to talk to the other recruits or is it always quiet?
And did when did You recieve Your Dog tags.
Sorry for all these questions.

Don't apologize. We all wondered the same thing. As far as chow goes, the whole platoon will march to the chow hall. Once there you'll stage any gear/rifles you have. If early chow hasn't flown yet they will fly (2 recruits go eat chow early so they can relieve late chow) and late chow will post gear watch. Now if another Marine comes near you you will want to say something to the affect of;

"Good morning/afternoon/evening sir! Recruit __________ reports gear watch for platoon _____. There are ___ rifles all on safe and secure. There are ___ assualt packs, ___ war belts, ___ canteens all secure. Nothing new or unusual has occured on this recruits tour of duty. The platoon is currently engaged in chow. Good morning/afternoon/evening sir!"

Be late chow if you can. You'll get a little breathing room from the drill instructors and thus have more time to eat. The chow halls have red and blue Powerade, juice and white/chocolate milk. Stick with the Powerade. Don't talk to other recruits. You sometimes barely have enough time to eat as it is. If your caught talking there is a good chance you'll be told that you are done eating, even if you aren't.

You'll get a single dog tag with your last name and serial number (social security number) on it for training. The first platoon I was in didn't want us to wear it while the other two did. It is not until Marine week that you get your real dog tags. I think we got ours in the evening of family day.

Lisa 23
08-19-09, 06:55 PM
CONGRATS KaBar762 on EARNING the title Marine! :usmc:
Now PM a mod so you can get your status changed from poolee to Marine!

:flag: Semper Fi Marine!

kimosabi1988
08-19-09, 07:16 PM
Congradulations Marine. What exactly do they do at Dental? When do you recieve your rifle? Thanks and Congradulations again.

Lisa 23
08-19-09, 08:18 PM
Congradulations Marine. What exactly do they do at Dental? When do you recieve your rifle? Thanks and Congradulations again.

This site may help answer some of your questions.
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

temarti
08-19-09, 09:01 PM
Congrats Marine!

thedrifter
08-25-09, 08:32 AM
Congratulations Marine!

Your fixed....You can update the rest...;)

Ellie

KaBar762
08-25-09, 08:37 AM

The initial dental visit is just like a check up. They x-ray your mouth and a dentist will look inside your mouth. They don't clean your teeth or do any other dental work at that time. Get all your dental work, if you need any, done before you go to the Island. Going to dental sucks. If you still have your wisdom teeth I would get them pulled before you go. You wont get any recovery time like you would at home and they don't put you to sleep, just numb you.

You will get your rifle sometime in the first week. Some platoons get them sooner then others. That rifle will be with you until the very last week until after your final inspection. Learn your rifle serial number as soon as you can. You'll need to know it through out boot camp.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

KaBar762
08-25-09, 08:44 AM
Congratulations Marine!

Your fixed....You can update the rest...;)

Ellie

Thank you Master Sergeant.

McFeely
08-25-09, 10:44 AM
Congratulations Marine.
I have one question. My recruiter said that they do not do another physical when you get to BC but I was under the impression that they do almost everything that was done as MEPS again. Which is it?

Sgt Jim
08-25-09, 11:22 AM
Congrats and welcome aboard Marine,we have the same Plt no. but i went in, in 1969 Oct 5.My Plt no. was 3057 also

ForeverChanged
08-29-09, 04:28 PM
Congrats

Zulu 36
08-29-09, 05:21 PM
Congrats, Marine. Welcome to the Gun Club

SGT7477
08-29-09, 06:19 PM
Congrats, Semper FI.