PDA

View Full Version : Air Crew

Jvasquez
08-18-09, 05:00 AM
Hello Marines,
I have been preparing to for my journey to become a Marine. I have done a lot of research and I have studied a lot to prepare and I will keep going. I have some questions about Aircrew. My mos is AF. I wanted to know What it Takes to Be an Aircrew person. Is it Determined By your Pft in Boot camp, or is their other requirements?
Thank you for your assistance and Service Marines

GyC
08-18-09, 05:57 AM
Provided you are assigned an MOS within that field that has you working on Rotary Wing/ C-130, you can go through "homegrown" training, and become an Aerial Observer/ Crew Chief... There are qualifications, but PFT didn't play much of a part as much as overall fitness... S/F

Jvasquez
08-18-09, 04:25 PM
Thank You I Wanted to be AirCrew but I didn't quite know exactly how to become one, But I just Wanted to know if there Was anything I could do during boot camp that could improve my chances of getting that job or even after boot camp.

GyC
08-18-09, 08:55 PM
Thank You I Wanted to be AirCrew but I didn't quite know exactly how to become one, But I just Wanted to know if there Was anything I could do during boot camp that could improve my chances of getting that job or even after boot camp.

Go all the way on Swim Qual.. Alot of swimming for AO/Crew Chief.. S/F

Jvasquez
08-18-09, 08:59 PM
Thank you it looks like I got some swimming to do lol Thanks again

Aircrewmarine
11-30-09, 10:41 PM
Aircrew is a job you should try to get before you ship to boot, but I have a friend with info on how to get it if ur a mech first if your still interested. Everyone hypes up the training you have to do in Florida but it's really not that tough

onux16
12-09-09, 05:18 PM
Jvasquez, check with your recruiter that you have the right enlistment option. You want AG; AF is ground mechanic and NOT a crew chief. The description is something like "AG -- Aircrew/Flight Mechanic/Navigator". Also, you can't be "homegrown" anymore from what the fleet guys tell me. You can get the training as an Aerial Observer, but you still need to go through flight school to be a crew chief.

Here's a thread I was heavily active in:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29278
It should answer the majority of your questions.