PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your PT???

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 02:28 PM
Over the year that I've been around this site, as just a browser and then a user, I've noticed that there are people always wanting to know the best work out they can get, and with that everyone post there work out and the process continues over and over for many a threads. The search function is great but if we can get this thread as a sticky it would hopefully get rid of all those annoying threads!

What I would love from all you fellow Poolee's and Wannabe's is your PT! Your normal work outs, runs, and also how you increase your pull up's and crunches.

I've just finally been able to start a steady workout and sadly it wont last that long, once school start's I can start my old workout with lifting weights.

Monday's and Friday's I do IST's.

Tuesday's I work on upper body work out's. I always do 3 max sets of ever exercise I do.

Thursday's I do my core workout. Once again its 3 max sets of every exercise I do.

Wed's are my PFT days. I do my pull ups, go do my crunches, the I take 10-15 minutes and do alot of warming up and getting streched out. I go out run my 3 miles come back and do more streching so I dont get sore the next day. I normally will do another set of max pull up's after.

Saturday is what I call my free day. I will normally try to go out and just do something different. I sometimes bike, go help my friend's who own farms, or even lift weights. Im not much of a weight lifter in the summer.

Sunday's are my resting day. I just like to relax and enjoy my day.

PS: Everyday I do pull up's EXCEPT SUNDAY'S! When I have a poolee function coming up that week I dont run my PFT and I go a bit lighter on my work outs, but I still push myself. I will normally take that friday off and just rest up, and make sure im healthy for that saturday.

PSS: I use to be horrible at pull up's and I've finally found out a way to help me increase my pull up's. I make sure I do max sets every day. My pull up bar is right next to my computer, so I try to do 5-7 set's a day. I will do this for about 10 days. I then wont do a single pull up for about 3-4 days, giving my body some time to rest and to let my muscle's grow. I will then hit the bar after those days just to do a max set. I grow from 2-3 pull up's every time I do this. I've just started doing this program. I use to be constant 8-9 pull up's and decided I would try this. After my first round I went up to 13 pull up's. It was weird to be counting I hit 7 and was like WOW! Im not even extremely tired yet!!

PSSS: I use to have the highest crunch count at my RSS. I use to do 130 in the 2 minutes, and after wrestling season, they went to complete ****. I dont know how, or why, but they just decreased and now im trying to figure out a way to be able to increase them. My core work out is helping, but they are not increasing like I would like them to.

So, everyone post your workout's so those people who are wanting to get into better shape and look at this thread and get different idea's and wont have to make those annoying threads!!

Poolee Vogt

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 02:47 PM
I like to do Pyramids for my pullups. 3 sets of up to 7 then back down. I do these every other day and if its the other day I do 4 to 5 sets of 15 pullups.
Remember you also need to work out your Biceps as well to be better with your pullups.

I would post my whole workout but im to lazy.

But will say that I run everyday, some days more or less. But I make sure i run everyday.

And yes you need a day to rest. Which is Sunday for me as well.

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 02:50 PM
Yeah, when school starts I have a class called Advance Conditioning. I do alot of curling and lat downs, and also use the pull up assist machine, but I ALWAYS start my workout's after doing 2 sets of max pull ups. This way im a little bit tired. My pushup's are embarrasing, but they are slowly rising. My goals by the end of school are 25 pull ups, 120 crunches, <22 minute 3 mile, and 100 pushup's. Shouldn't be that hard!

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 02:56 PM
I hope it isn't that hard to increase pull ups that much. I leave in January and I want to get my pull ups at least above 32; but it just seems like i have hit a plateau. I know I need to change up my workout. But honestly I really don't know how to up my pull ups that much.

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 03:04 PM
Well, lets put it this way, dont do the same thing every day. I try to do a work out for a week, then switch it up, that way your body isn't getting use to it and you wont up with plateauing. If you can, weight rooms offer so many different ways to work those muscles you wont have much of a problem. Last year I joined wrestling hoping to get into better shape. I did, but my pull ups and crunches went down. I was working out alot less and just did practice. Hopefully I will be able to get into a good workout routine. I dont plan on doing much sports, if any. I am really wanting to focus on this and hopefully, if by christmas time, Im doing over 20 pull ups and 100+ crunches, I will get my contract changed to 03XX with the recon try out. But that's only if I dont be a lazy *** lol.

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 03:09 PM
I have been in the gym since 16, I mean i know a lot of different exercises but it just seems hard ha. I dono lol i might just be being lazy.

I work out everyday and no I don't do the same thing everyday. ha i dono as long as I leave for RT with at least 30 pullups i know ill be above 32 by the time we do Ironman and our PFT's. I kinda forget at times that everyone will increase their scores at RT.

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 03:20 PM
Not everyone does tho, like many of the new Marines who get back from boot camp say, the more effort you put into it, the more you'll get out of it, and im a firm believer in that.

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 03:29 PM
True.... that's why I am going to put forth the most effort I can, and then some more. :thumbup:

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 03:33 PM
Hell yeah! Company Honor Grad would be sick ****!

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 03:34 PM
That it would. Curious do you have any referrals yet?

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 03:38 PM
Had 3 and they all pussed out. A few more would of been mine, but they pussed out, so that makes 5? Saddest one was my friend who was super motivated, he made us all look like we could careless. Then he got a girlfriend.. and now.. he wants to go to college for something. I dont know what. It's so sad :(

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 03:54 PM
Had 3 and they all pussed out. A few more would of been mine, but they pussed out, so that makes 5? Saddest one was my friend who was super motivated, he made us all look like we could careless. Then he got a girlfriend.. and now.. he wants to go to college for something. I dont know what. It's so sad :(

HAHHAHAHAH wow I am sorry. I have a girlfriend as well who wants to get married and stuff before I go in. But that is funny man. I mean if you wanna go then you will go. But i guess he didnt really want to be a Marine? Who knows, girls do the strangest things to guys.

Gerken
08-13-09, 04:22 PM
Its pretty simple for me, I do max sets on pullups every day for 2 weeks then rest a week, for crunchs I do at least 100 a day, and I run about 2 miles everyday. Since I started doing my pullup routine setup by my recruiter, I went from 16 to 20 in 3 weeks, hopefully I'll be able to get a perfect IST by the time I leave for boot.

cammedNslammed
08-13-09, 05:07 PM
mon - run 3 miles, 25 flutter kicks, 2 min max effort crunches, max effort pull ups, max effort push ups x3

tues - break

wed - run 3 miles, 25 flutter kicks, 2 min max effort crunches, max effort pull ups, max effort push ups x3

thurs - break

friday - run 3 miles

sat - IST and recruiter work out (whatever they decide for that day)

sun - break

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 09:31 PM
I just got back from PT with my recruiter. We ran 1 1/2. I got it in 9:45-10:00 not sure where it was. That was my best time so far :D

cammedNslammed
08-13-09, 10:06 PM
I just got back from PT with my recruiter. We ran 1 1/2. I got it in 9:45-10:00 not sure where it was. That was my best time so far :D
good run, my best yet is 10:20ish but with the crazy heat and humidity lately its been more like 10:50-11:00 :bunny:

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 10:11 PM
i bet its super hot and humid there where you are.

ZombieWolf
08-13-09, 10:11 PM
This Saturday RSS Florence, KY is going on a 3 mile hike through Big Bone Lick state park.

They are going to hike, have classes on Marine Corps History and Interior Guard, eat MRE's and hike bike. Probably do some other PT and maybe some drilling. :evilgrin:

Im out of town so I can't go :devious:

My 1.5 miles time have been kind of slow at 12:45 on my last IST- I'm ****ed.

Eldridge0311
08-13-09, 10:25 PM
Ya were doing something like that too. With a 30lb pack too.

I live in Kentucky about 30 mins from Morehead. My RS is in Ashland and RSS is Huntington, WV.

cammedNslammed
08-13-09, 11:41 PM
i bet its super hot and humid there where you are.
Its been between 99-100 but the humidity makes it feel like 110-115 easy. Its a killer on your lungs....LOL

MarinesFTW
08-13-09, 11:55 PM
It's like 85 here in Minnesota with massive humidity, its so dumb. My best IST run was 10:11, and that was during my wrestling season. All I know on saturday is were doing the normal trashings and then were grilling out again.

cammedNslammed
08-14-09, 09:57 AM
It's like 85 here in Minnesota with massive humidity, its so dumb. My best IST run was 10:11, and that was during my wrestling season. All I know on saturday is were doing the normal trashings and then were grilling out again.
Well PI will be a little different then your current climate...LOL

Eldridge0311
08-14-09, 10:16 AM
It all depends when you go. For me, I am lucky I think; going in January when it is cool :D though probably still humid but at least cooler.

Hartford
08-14-09, 01:56 PM
Chest/Shoulder/Tri Day
- DB Bench Press
- DB Incline Bench Press
- BB Narrow Grip Bench Press
- Dips
- Pushups until failure
- Warmup crunches and then crunches with a 25lb plate on chest

The weighted crunches took my score from 66/2mins when I DEP'd in to 116 crunches as of a few weeks ago. Those muscles are just like any other. If you wanted to get a strong bench press you wouldn't do something you could do 115+ times would you? No you'd add weight and do it because that's how you really work out your muscles. With the 25lb plate I can usually get about 30-40 crunches before getting super tired and it works really well.

Then on Back/Bi Day I do...
- 4-6 sets of pullups, never to failure except last set in order to increase volume
** on different weeks I do palms out or palms in.
- rows (machine, DB or BB)
- deadlifts
- hanging leg raises, flutter kicks, crunches

Then after those weight lifting workouts I do 15-30 minutes on a cardio machine like the stairmill or crosstrainer...something low impact.

The other days I run or bike. My cardio is the worst part of my IST right now so I try to focus on that a lot.

Mon/Fri I go to PT at the RSS and its usually running, pullups, crunches and other conditioning drills...usually a really hard workout.

MarinesFTW
08-14-09, 03:56 PM
Well PI will be a little different then your current climate...LOL
Na, Im west of the Mississippi, SD baby!!

cammedNslammed
08-14-09, 05:11 PM
Na, Im west of the Mississippi, SD baby!!
Yea your right, i guess i missed that part. LOL Good luck with those hills. ;)

cammedNslammed
08-14-09, 05:13 PM
It all depends when you go. For me, I am lucky I think; going in January when it is cool :D though probably still humid but at least cooler.
One of the guys who had RA back in like February i think, said that conditions were horrible in the winter there. He said it would be snowing and windy one day, then somewhat warmer the next day. He said a lot of guys got sick b/c of this. My ship date worked out the best i think, b/c im going in the fall. Not to hot, not to cold.....JUST RIGHT. LOL

Eldridge0311
08-14-09, 05:53 PM
One of the guys who had RA back in like February i think, said that conditions were horrible in the winter there. He said it would be snowing and windy one day, then somewhat warmer the next day. He said a lot of guys got sick b/c of this. My ship date worked out the best i think, b/c im going in the fall. Not to hot, not to cold.....JUST RIGHT. LOL

Well f uck me with a shovel. Im getting screwed.

Jensen139
08-14-09, 05:59 PM
I will never understand why some people train like bodybuilders. I do crossfit 3-4 times a week and olympic lifting 3 times per week.

www.crossfit.com

check it out

MarinesFTW
08-14-09, 06:24 PM
Well f uck me with a shovel. Im getting screwed.
Just a warning dont go around a cencer, its breaking a rule and thedrifter doesn't like it very much. Trust me, I know from personal experience.:confused: I heard San Diego isn't half bad in the summer, my cousin who lives in Cali said it's normally 90ish. Still hot as hell, but I can handle that.

Eldridge0311
08-14-09, 06:40 PM
Just a warning dont go around a cencer, its breaking a rule and thedrifter doesn't like it very much. Trust me, I know from personal experience.:confused: I heard San Diego isn't half bad in the summer, my cousin who lives in Cali said it's normally 90ish. Still hot as hell, but I can handle that.

**Clicking heels together** I hope it doesn't snow... I hope it doesn't snow.

MarinesFTW
08-14-09, 07:01 PM
If you wear heel's you better keep that to yourself lol

Eldridge0311
08-14-09, 07:41 PM
If you wear heel's you better keep that to yourself lol

Come on now never seen Wizard of Oz?

MarinesFTW
08-14-09, 08:48 PM
Oh I have, but still :)

Eldridge0311
08-14-09, 08:56 PM
Ha anyways. I have a question. Do you guys usually take a day off from working out and PT a day before your scheduled IST with your RSS?

cammedNslammed
08-14-09, 09:40 PM
**Clicking heels together** I hope it doesn't snow... I hope it doesn't snow.
As for the winter, id be more worried the brutal wind than snow. Crawling through the mud, soaking wet, as the blistering wind is whipping against you while its like 40 degrees or so is to me worse than snow.

MarinesFTW
08-14-09, 10:34 PM
Yeah I do Eldridge0311, infact today all I did was work and play with the dog. It was a good day.

SeanRyan32
08-14-09, 10:38 PM
Come on now never seen Wizard of Oz?

You should keep that to yourself, too. lol

Hartford
08-15-09, 12:44 PM
Ha anyways. I have a question. Do you guys usually take a day off from working out and PT a day before your scheduled IST with your RSS?
Yeah our IST's are always on Saturday so I do nothing Friday and a soft workout Thursday, nothing with legs at least so they can rest up.

MarinesFTW
08-17-09, 11:43 PM
Well, I work a BUNCH this weekend, which will effect my PT. :(

Eldridge0311
08-18-09, 09:39 AM
Well, I work a BUNCH this weekend, which will effect my PT. :(
Can't you get work off?

MarinesFTW
08-18-09, 11:27 AM
Na, I need the money. I can still work out and PT, it's just alot less motovation. I tend to sleep until 11ish wake up, try and PT for a hour, then I work at 2 or 3.

Eldridge0311
08-18-09, 11:31 AM
Na, I need the money. I can still work out and PT, it's just alot less motovation. I tend to sleep until 11ish wake up, try and PT for a hour, then I work at 2 or 3.

Need the money for what man?

MarinesFTW
08-18-09, 11:52 AM
I just finished off paying my car, I pay for my own phone bill, and my parents dont exactly have money to give me.

Eldridge0311
08-18-09, 11:59 AM
I just finished off paying my car, I pay for my own phone bill, and my parents dont exactly have money to give me.

My bad man I wasn't sure and didn't mean to come off like that. But that's all cool your independent now.

MarinesFTW
08-18-09, 12:44 PM
You didn't come off bad at all, it was a question. Yeah it's nice, and it really make you enjoy things alot more.

Edward76
08-23-09, 06:20 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet. I don't really feel like searching through all the previous posts. Check out this website, it has Everything you need to know, and it's got a lot of information about fitness and nutrition from Navy Seal Stew Smith. Website has endless PT workouts. Great motivational tool too.
http://www.*************/military-fitness/

I'm at 15 pullups right now. Trying to get to 20 before I leave for MCRD SD in January. The max pullups daily for 10 days sounds great, definitely going to give that a try. Thanks for all the info.
Push em out.

MarinesFTW
08-23-09, 11:36 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet. I don't really feel like searching through all the previous posts. Check out this website, it has Everything you need to know, and it's got a lot of information about fitness and nutrition from Navy Seal Stew Smith. Website has endless PT workouts. Great motivational tool too.
http://www.*************/military-fitness/

I'm at 15 pullups right now. Trying to get to 20 before I leave for MCRD SD in January. The max pullups daily for 10 days sounds great, definitely going to give that a try. Thanks for all the info.
Push em out.

Your link didn't work. Glad I could help, I'm sitting on my resting period right now, hopefully they will go up, or the 13 will be easier.

andy1ism
08-27-09, 05:56 PM
You should try weighted pull-ups.

MarinesFTW
08-27-09, 06:00 PM
You should try weighted pull-ups.

I thught about this to. With my workout doing my max sets with weight's might improve faster, I think that is going to be my next thing to try out.

andy1ism
08-27-09, 06:28 PM
I thught about this to. With my workout doing my max sets with weight's might improve faster, I think that is going to be my next thing to try out.

Once you get your weighted pull-ups to a decent amount and you get use to pulling more than your body weight, your should be able to do non-weighted pull-ups like nothing.

MarinesFTW
08-27-09, 11:17 PM
Once you get your weighted pull-ups to a decent amount and you get use to pulling more than your body weight, your should be able to do non-weighted pull-ups like nothing.

Yeah exactly, also losing 15-20 pounds would help to lol! and no, I am under weight, im just Rockin da beer gut, or rootbeer gut.

PooleeFiechter
09-07-09, 01:27 AM
Well, here we go. Hope I can help.

First, I heard that weightlifters die then come to life when they go to bootcamp because they spend too much time lifting weights and not doing true exercises, therefore their muscle memory for say... Mountain Climbers (Exercise) is in the *****er.

Second, I PT at my recruiting office Mon-Fri @ 1630, this way it is convenient for most people. We do different stuff everyday, but always start out with pullups. We max out then continually do them for about 10-15 minutes. There are normally between 5-15 Poolees that show up. If there is more than ten poolees, we normally indian run around town and every five minutes stop and do a mock IT. Not only does PTing with your fellow poolees build muscle, but it also helps build teamwork and motivation for yourself and the other poolees. We also do an IST at least once a month.

Third, on fridays I do a random exercise like swimming or running with weight. Saturdays I do a light workout and Sundays I take a break.

Fourth, on top of all that we have our once a month Pool function. Since we IST during our regular workouts, we don't have to do it then. The downside is that these once a months is when we die from exteme PT.

Finally, start to do PT with your fellow poolees. Don't mean to brag but our RSS has the fewest failure rates when it comes to bootcamp between the middle of California all the way up to Oregon. Next time you see the other Poolees get their Phone numbers and schedule to PT at your RS or RSS. If you need any help getting started send me a PM.

(Pant...Pant) Damn that took a long time

Tutt
09-11-09, 01:33 AM
Not just a few short weeks ago I was sick then injured to the point of no PT for five weeks. So during that down time I decided to hit it hard the last eight weeks until I ship. This is my eight week plan that I drew from many sources to make. It is very progressive and made to test my wits. It has P90X workouts, Perfect Push-up workouts, many Stew Smith workouts and a cross of my "jump-start" running plan and marathon plan I found online. This is no BS. I really am doing this. The first week doesn't have any PT in it but I am doing some every other day. I'll post the first month. If you want to see the rest let me know and I will.

Week 1

Sunday 9/6
Stretch
Run- 1 Mile
x Stretch

Monday 9/7
Stretch
Run- 1.5 Miles
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/8
Stretch
Run- 2 Miles
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/9
Stretch
Run- 2.5 Miles
X Stretch

Thursday 9/10
Stretch
Run- 3.75 Miles

Friday 9/11
Stretch
Run- 5+ Miles
X Stretch

Saturday 9/12
Stretch
Run- 6.25 Miles
X Stretch

Week 2

Sunday 9/13
A.M.
Stretch
- Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with
- Pushups - 2,4,6,8,10,12,14....2
- Abs of choice - 5,10,15,20,25,30,35....5
- Alternate with NO rest from one exercise to the next
Suppl.- Yoga
Run- 7 Miles
X Stretch

Monday 9/14
A.M.
Stretch
25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout. Do small repetition sets until you reach 25- 50 pull-ups.
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 7.5 Miles
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/15
A.M.
Stretch
- Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Suppl.- Kenpo
Run- 8 miles
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/16
A.M.
Stretch
25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout. Do small repetition sets until you reach 25- 50 pull-ups.
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 8.5 Miles
X Stretch

Thursday 9/17
A.M.
Run- 9 Miles
X Stretch

Friday 9/18
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 9.5 Miles
X Stretch

Saturday 9/19
A.M.
Stretch
Run- 10 Miles
X Stretch

Week 3

Sunday 9/20

Run- Off
X Stretch

Monday 9/21
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Yoga
Run- 11
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/22
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 6 Miles

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Run 1/2-mile at goal pace
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Run 1/4-mile at goal pace
- Walk or jog 1/8 of a mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Run 1/8-mile at goal pace
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/23
A.M.
Stetch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 6 Miles(3 Laps Perry Farm)
X Stretch

Thursday 9/24
A.M.
Stretch
Run- Off
X Stretch

Friday 9/25
A.M.
Stetch
Set #1,10 Set #2,9 Set #3,8 Set #4,7 Set #5,6
2 Pull-ups 4 Pull-ups 6 Pull-ups 8 Pull-ups 10 Pull-ups
5 Push-ups 10 Push-ups 15 Push-ups 20 Push-ups 25 Push-ups
10 Abs of Choice 20 Abs of Choice 30 Abs of Choice 40 Abs of Choice 50 Abs of Choice
Run- 14 Miles
Suppl- - Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds.
X Stretch

Saturday 9/26
A.M.
Stretch
10 Abs of Choice 20 Abs of Choice 30 Abs of Choice 40 Abs of Choice 50 Abs of Choice
Suppl.- - 25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout.
Do small repetition sets until you reach 25- 50 pull-ups.
Run- 6 Miles
X Stretch

Week 4

Sunday 9/27
A.M.
Stretch
Run- Off
Suppl.- - Pullups - max
- Pushups - 20
- Dips - 5-10
- Abs of choice - 30
X Stretch

Monday 9/28
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Push-up: 3 Drills(5,3)
- 25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout.
Run- 12 Miles

P.M.
Run- - Run one mile easy/stretch
- Repeat 8-10 times
- Run 1/4 mile at 10-20 seconds under current mile pace
- Jog slow or walk 1:00
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/29
A.M.
Sleep In
Stretch
Run- 6 Miles
Suppl.- - Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/30
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Core Synergistics

P.M.
- Repeat five times
- Run 1/2 miles at 10 seconds under current mile pace
- Jog slow or walk 2:00
x Stretch

Thursday 10/1
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- Off

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Friday 10/2
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- 16 Miles

P.M.
Run- - Run one mile easy / stretch
- Run one mile at 10 seconds above current mile pace
- Jog 2:00 slow
- Run one mile at current mile pace

- Run one mile at 10 seconds faster than current mile pace
- Cool down jog 5:00
X Stretch

Saturday 10/3
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- 6 Miles
X Stretch

Tutt
09-11-09, 01:34 AM
I didn't realize some of the alignment didn't past right. If its hard to figure out let me know.

Hartford
09-11-09, 01:45 PM
Geez did you do cross country in high school or something? Those running distances are so far. :scared:

Tutt
09-12-09, 12:27 AM
No, actually, I didnt run more than I had to for football. In high school I was a defensive lineman, weighed 260lbs and lifted five days a week. Now I am much smaller at 180. Tonight (Friday, Wk. 1) I ran 6 miles. The end was tough but I just push through the pain. Its not too bad when you know there is an end to it. I just always think about one block at a time.
Whats funny is I used to hate running and now I feel guilty if I do not do it. It's not so much the running I like as the challenge it gives me.

Thisisrandy
09-12-09, 03:16 PM
Not just a few short weeks ago I was sick then injured to the point of no PT for five weeks. So during that down time I decided to hit it hard the last eight weeks until I ship. This is my eight week plan that I drew from many sources to make. It is very progressive and made to test my wits. It has P90X workouts, Perfect Push-up workouts, many Stew Smith workouts and a cross of my "jump-start" running plan and marathon plan I found online. This is no BS. I really am doing this. The first week doesn't have any PT in it but I am doing some every other day. I'll post the first month. If you want to see the rest let me know and I will.

Week 1

Sunday 9/6
Stretch
Run- 1 Mile
x Stretch

Monday 9/7
Stretch
Run- 1.5 Miles
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/8
Stretch
Run- 2 Miles
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/9
Stretch
Run- 2.5 Miles
X Stretch

Thursday 9/10
Stretch
Run- 3.75 Miles

Friday 9/11
Stretch
Run- 5+ Miles
X Stretch

Saturday 9/12
Stretch
Run- 6.25 Miles
X Stretch

Week 2

Sunday 9/13
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Yoga
Run- 7 Miles
X Stretch

Monday 9/14
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 7.5 Miles
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/15
A.M.
Stretch
- Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Suppl.- Kenpo
Run- 8 miles
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/16
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 8.5 Miles
X Stretch

Thursday 9/17
A.M.
Run- 9 Miles
X Stretch

Friday 9/18
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 9.5 Miles
X Stretch

Saturday 9/19
A.M.
Stretch
Run- 10 Miles
X Stretch

Week 3

Sunday 9/20

Run- Off
X Stretch

Monday 9/21
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Yoga
Run- 11
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/22
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
Run- 6 Miles

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/23
A.M.
Stetch
Suppl.- Ab Ripper
X Stretch

Thursday 9/24
A.M.
Stretch
Run- Off
X Stretch

Friday 9/25
A.M.
Stetch
Run- 14 Miles
Suppl- - Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds.
X Stretch

Saturday 9/26
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- - 25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout.
Run- 6 Miles
X Stretch

Week 4

Sunday 9/27
A.M.
Stretch
Run- Off
Suppl.- - Pullups - max
- Pushups - 20
- Dips - 5-10
- Abs of choice - 30
X Stretch

Monday 9/28
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Push-up: 3 Drills(5,3)
- 25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout.
Run- 12 Miles

P.M.
- Repeat 8-10 times
- Run 1/4 mile at 10-20 seconds under current mile pace
- Jog slow or walk 1:00
X Stretch

Tuesday 9/29
A.M.
Sleep In
Stretch
Run- 6 Miles
Suppl.- - Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Wednesday 9/30
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.- Core Synergistics

P.M.
- Repeat five times
- Run 1/2 miles at 10 seconds under current mile pace
- Jog slow or walk 2:00
x Stretch

Thursday 10/1
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- Off

P.M.
Run- - Repeat 3-4 times
- Walk or jog 1/4-mile
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Repeat 4-6 times
- Walk or jog 100 yds
X Stretch

Friday 10/2
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- 16 Miles

P.M.
Run- - Run one mile easy / stretch
- Run one mile at 10 seconds above current mile pace
- Run one mile at current mile pace

- Run one mile at 10 seconds faster than current mile pace
- Cool down jog 5:00
X Stretch

Saturday 10/3
A.M.
Stretch
Suppl.-
Run- 6 Miles
X Stretch

Yeah... P90X kicks some @SSSSSS!!!!!

Tutt
09-12-09, 04:52 PM
It sure does. It is a really great work out though. I got about a month into it and then I was incapacitated.
I do suggest it to anyone that is thinking about it or just wants to get real fit. It is definitely what I will do after I get stationed somewhere.

Jensen139
09-13-09, 10:29 PM
crossfit > P90x

MarinesFTW
09-30-09, 10:10 PM
Well, my old recruiter wasn't happen with the way I was doing my pull ups, I wasn't going far enough down, (IMO I go the farthest down out of everyone). I now have to do pull ups going up then slowly going down until I KNOW I lock out, I can only do around 7-8, they are harder and I end up swinging quite a bit. All I can do is work on them right?

Gerken
09-30-09, 10:37 PM
Ya thats the way that I started doing a few months ago and am at around 20 or so, the easiest way of doing it is to, have an overhand grip and have a wide stance on the bar so your body doesn't drop as far and your arms will be fully extended, as long as your not a fatbody then it should be easier to do overhand pullups.

Zoltta1
10-01-09, 11:24 PM
Every other day at my recruiters office we do something different. Recently we have 10+ poolees running a total of 6+ miles. 1 or so miles of indian running with a 45lb weight. Weight gets pass to the back as we run and person in the back sprints up to the front of the line with the weight and passes it back again. Keeps going. Then after the mile or so we indian run without the weight for a few miles. Every 2-3 blocks we stop and do 15 pushups, 15 situps and 15 quats and then continue running. We keep doing that the entire time, including the time with the weight. Then at half way point we run up and down hills and doing PT every time we get to the top. Then we run back a few miles to the office.

Just the kind of stuff we do

Endurance89
10-02-09, 05:10 PM
Every other day at my recruiters office we do something different. Recently we have 10+ poolees running a total of 6+ miles. 1 or so miles of indian running with a 45lb weight. Weight gets pass to the back as we run and person in the back sprints up to the front of the line with the weight and passes it back again. Keeps going. Then after the mile or so we indian run without the weight for a few miles. Every 2-3 blocks we stop and do 15 pushups, 15 situps and 15 quats and then continue running. We keep doing that the entire time, including the time with the weight. Then at half way point we run up and down hills and doing PT every time we get to the top. Then we run back a few miles to the office.

Sounds like a decent workout!

I wish we did more stuff like that.

I have to supplement a good deal on my own.

Sometimes some LCPL just out of Recon School will swing by and give us some decent workouts, but that doesn't happen often.

MarinesFTW
10-02-09, 05:35 PM

If your doing 6 miles of Indian run you must have a EXTREMELY good run time.

Capital M
10-03-09, 02:02 PM
Just got back from our monthly Pool function. Our Recruiters "introduced" us to IT. I threw up. Can't move my body right now. It's awesome

MarinesFTW
10-03-09, 02:08 PM
Just got back from our monthly Pool function. Our Recruiters "introduced" us to IT. I threw up. Can't move my body right now. It's awesome

During a Mini Boot Camp last year I had a little one on one time with a female Drill Instructor. A good 40 minutes. We were at the push up station, I got pulled to the side at the begging of it, I got to leave after my Plt. had left and another had started. It was funny I could hear the Marine who was giving instructions trying to yell over my voice, but I was to tired to laugh.

Gerken
10-04-09, 06:37 PM
I've been PT'ing with my recruiter every weekday morning at 0700 along with another poolee in my RS. I'm gonna keep with it until the day I leave for boot camp, so hopefully I'll have a perfect PFT before I go to boot camp. I've already seen big improvements and its only been just over a week.

MotivatedRaZoR
10-06-09, 02:59 AM
I am new here, hello all. I have been working out for a little while now. So far I have gone from nothing to:

pull ups: 23
sit ups: 108
run time: ???? (I haven't timed myself, just working on conditioning at the moment)

I am only 5' 2" but motivated as hell. I weigh 110lbs, and I bench 265lbs. I am training to be the best, God only knows how far I can go.

Hartford
10-06-09, 02:20 PM
I am new here, hello all. I have been working out for a little while now. So far I have gone from nothing to:

pull ups: 23
sit ups: 108
run time: ???? (I haven't timed myself, just working on conditioning at the moment)

I am only 5' 2" but motivated as hell. I weigh 110lbs, and I bench 265lbs. I am training to be the best, God only knows how far I can go.
Not to be a jerk but if you're 110 pounds I really doubt you can bench 265 unless you're some kind of freak of nature. What plates would you put on the bar to get 265? ;)

MotivatedRaZoR
10-06-09, 05:10 PM
I just don't have very much body fat at all. People doubt me until they work out with me. And that is OK, because I only have to prove myself, to myself.

PLATES:

BAR = 45LBS
4 PLATES = 180LBS
4 10'S = 40LBS

Feel free to correct me if my addition is not accurate.

Capital M
10-06-09, 05:10 PM
edit

Mako
10-06-09, 05:22 PM
His form just may not be correct. I am 147 pounds of lean muscle and max bench at 225. (dead lock elbows down to chest and back up). I dont know it just seams at 110 pounds it is unlikely. But maybe I'm wrong.

MarinesFTW
10-06-09, 10:38 PM
You really should go out for the Olympic Lifting team if you bench over 2x your weight. thats more like 2.4ish x. Thats preaty freaking impressive.

atimmons
10-09-09, 05:35 AM
Eh wish I could lift 2x my body weight...

Hartford
10-09-09, 04:10 PM
His form just may not be correct. I am 147 pounds of lean muscle and max bench at 225. (dead lock elbows down to chest and back up). I dont know it just seams at 110 pounds it is unlikely. But maybe I'm wrong.
Probably consists of an unrack, elbow jiggle and pressing it back up with his butt in the air. :bunny:

MarinesFTW
10-09-09, 11:18 PM
Probably consists of an unrack, elbow jiggle and pressing it back up with his butt in the air. :bunny:
If thats a bench then I'm doing it alllllll wrong:(:D

ak74u28
10-12-09, 11:19 AM
265lbs.????YGTBKM,post a video :p Lol olimpic weight lift team

Jensen139
10-12-09, 04:41 PM
Maybe I'm totally wrong but I've never seen a bench press in the olympics. And Olympic lifting- the clean and jerk and snatch require power not strength and years of technique training. Power and strength are not the same thing. And at being 5'2 his arms with a wide grip might move what 4 inches on the bench press.

ak74u28
10-12-09, 04:58 PM
Maybe I'm totally wrong but I've never seen a bench press in the olympics. And Olympic lifting- the clean and jerk and snatch require power not strength and years of technique training. Power and strength are not the same thing. And at being 5'2 his arms with a wide grip might move what 4 inches on the bench press.

Here it comes the lawer:
Well if power and strenght are not the same;he can be a Power Lifter right?and that's it is an olimpic event with a lot of technique,anyways posting a video will end any doubt of the(freak of nature)Lol!

Jensen139
10-12-09, 05:40 PM
What are you saying your poor grammar makes your post almost unreadable.

Powerlifting is not an Olympic event. Powerlifting events use the squat, dead lift, and bench press. Slow bar movement but very strong.

Power is strength AND speed. I too would love to see a video. And until I do I saying this lift is false. But I also really don't care all that much because I come to this forum for information on Marine Corps topics, not whether or not someone can bench 2x their body weight.

ak74u28
10-12-09, 06:22 PM
What are you saying your poor grammar makes your post almost unreadable.

Powerlifting is not an Olympic event. Powerlifting events use the squat, dead lift, and bench press. Slow bar movement but very strong.

Power is strength AND speed. I too would love to see a video. And until I do I saying this lift is false. But I also really don't care all that much because I come to this forum for information on Marine Corps topics, not whether or not someone can bench 2x their body weight.

You're right,sorry for my grammar,the thing was english is my 3rd language so that's why

Capital M
10-12-09, 07:19 PM

I too would love to see a video. And until I do I saying this lift is false. But I also really don't care all that much because I come to this forum for information on Marine Corps topics, not whether or not someone can bench 2x their body weight.

:thumbup:

Jensen139
10-12-09, 08:02 PM
You're right,sorry for my grammar,the thing was english is my 3rd language so that's why

Good to go. I hope I didn't sound rude just wanted to make sure I understood you. What other languages do you speak?

MarinesFTW
10-12-09, 10:35 PM
:thumbup:

x3

ak74u28
10-12-09, 11:15 PM
Good to go. I hope I didn't sound rude just wanted to make sure I understood you. What other languages do you speak?

Español(spanish),Inglés(english)and some portugues(portuguese)so it's sounds rude only if you thug that i'm knew only one language like many of you;but anyways that's not my case so,stay cool i'm ok,take care Jensen139

USMC Sokol
11-29-09, 02:47 PM
I try to focus on one main thing each day. I usually take a day or two off each week just to rest up or If just want to study Knowledge that day or mentally prepare.

I just starter about 2 weeks ago to get into a continuous work out routine. I really wish I started training like this earlier....Ugh

Crunches:
2 sets of 20
2 minutes rest in between
2 sets of 44
2-3 minute rest in between
2 sets of 75
5 minute rest in between
(wait until fully rejuvenated)
max set of crunches - I try for 100+

None of these are timed ^

Running:
-I go down to my high school If I want to run an IST
-I go up the street to a state forest If I want to run for long distances or sprinting from point a to point b type thing.
-I go down to my high school If I want to run hills

Usually I'll switch off training my endurance one time and then train my speed the next.

Pull ups:
I usually lift weights, do push ups, and some light pull ups.

As of right now I'm doing...
2 to 3 sets of each lifting exercise.
2 sets of each push ups (diamond, regular, wide stance). Usually 10, 15, 20 per set
max set of easy stance and wide stance pulls ups. easy stance - shoulder width apart and palms facing you. wide stance - far apart and palms facing away

Mulls
11-29-09, 07:51 PM
for those of you that want something to supplement your pull ups, try this - i've been away from the pull up bar for days at a time and when i come back only having done this exercise sometimes my pull ups even go up by one - it's fantastic. get in the plank position. for those of you who don't know what that is, it's like a push-up position on your elbows where your forearms and upper arms are at 90 degrees. push your shoulders out though - keep a straight spine and strong core, but your back should be curved from shoulder to shoulder (NOT curved from upper back to lower back). lower yourself down, taking 3+ seconds, until your elbows are at your obliques and your chest is basically touching the floor. now push yourself back up, SLOWLY AGAIN, so thaty our shoulders are poking out again. most of this exercise is solely the latis, and the rest is a little bit of your pecs. remember. this is an exercise to be done slowly. it's a small range of motion so you're not gonna get anything out of it by pounding it out fast. 3 seconds up and down. your pull ups will increase because of this if you do a few sets every other day. make them max sets, just take days off. and don't overwork the pull ups in addition to this. blast your bis all you want with this though.

USMC Sokol
12-01-09, 03:44 PM
for those of you that want something to supplement your pull ups, try this - i've been away from the pull up bar for days at a time and when i come back only having done this exercise sometimes my pull ups even go up by one - it's fantastic. get in the plank position. for those of you who don't know what that is, it's like a push-up position on your elbows where your forearms and upper arms are at 90 degrees. push your shoulders out though - keep a straight spine and strong core, but your back should be curved from shoulder to shoulder (NOT curved from upper back to lower back). lower yourself down, taking 3+ seconds, until your elbows are at your obliques and your chest is basically touching the floor. now push yourself back up, SLOWLY AGAIN, so thaty our shoulders are poking out again. most of this exercise is solely the latis, and the rest is a little bit of your pecs. remember. this is an exercise to be done slowly. it's a small range of motion so you're not gonna get anything out of it by pounding it out fast. 3 seconds up and down. your pull ups will increase because of this if you do a few sets every other day. make them max sets, just take days off. and don't overwork the pull ups in addition to this. blast your bis all you want with this though.

I never would've thought of a "plank pushup". I may try this..even though I'm finding it hard to understand *__* I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later though

Mulls
12-02-09, 07:45 AM
well its rather simple - once you take out the action of elbow flexion and shoulder horizontal adduction, you are left with motion being dictated basically by the retraction and pronation of the shoulder blades, which are controlled mostly by the lats, and a little by the pecs. the biggest effect you'll have by doing this is increased control over your pull ups - they'll feel more solid and smooth. it's just useful - if you're away somewhere, you don't have a pull up bar at hand, do push ups for tris/chest, plank pushups for lats, do bodyweight squats or hold onto a door and do one-legged squats slowly for legs, and finish with crunches - full body right there...people don't realize how simple it is to get a fantastic full body workout using nothing but bodyweight resistance (well the Marines do, and they realize that bodyweight strength is REAL strength...the ability to lift lots of weights can certainly benefit you, but too much size can be bad - if you can throw your body around, you're a strong person and you're much more useful).

Endurance89
12-04-09, 10:45 AM
Holy cow, it's getting cold out there. I have kept the promise I made to myself to run the 1 mile to 2 mile trip to work (length depends on where I turn), and I seem to have acclimated to the chill...or so I thought until this past wednesday. It was about 36 that evening and I had my last IST before I ship. Everyone, and I mean everyone dropped a whole minute on their times due to the cold. It was insane.

Happily, though, I am now only 10 crunches from a perfect score--up from 72 to 90!--- and I added 3 pullups over the last IST.

_______

I also wanted to share these links about running in the cold:

http://running.about.com/od/safetyweather/tp/coldweathersafety.htm

http://www.runnersrescue.com/Cold_Weather_Running_Tips.htm

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/runninginthecold.cfm

I will add a little bit that has helped me, too.

On Tuesday this week, I dropped $20 on a microfleece balaclava. In addition to keeping the whole noggin toasty, the mouth and nose protection warms the air going in and helps to prevent that nasty freezing sensation in your throat and chest.

Also, I bought a pack of Halls cough suppressants, Canada Dry Ginger Ale flavored. The Canada Dry was a fluke, I thought I was grabbing the pack of Cherry right next to them, but, surprisingly, the Canada Dry is the best I have ever had. Flavor wise, it tastes like ginger ale, but the fact that it works so well is what really intrigued me; pop one after running in the cold!

I hope this helps some of you.

durtydawg
12-04-09, 10:54 AM
Yeah we all went on a 3.5 mile run last night with the regular stops for various exercises last night. By the time we made it back inside, it had dropped to 27 degrees.

Under Armour leggings here I come!

MarinesFTW
12-04-09, 03:42 PM
Haha, I was outside in around 10 degree weather working on a house for school, I was a tid bit frozen. A nice 2 mile run warmed me right up!

Capital M
12-04-09, 03:56 PM
Also, I bought a pack of Halls cough suppressants, Canada Dry Ginger Ale flavored. The Canada Dry was a fluke, I thought I was grabbing the pack of Cherry right next to them, but, surprisingly, the Canada Dry is the best I have ever had. Flavor wise, it tastes like ginger ale, but the fact that it works so well is what really intrigued me; pop one after running in the cold!

I hope this helps some of you.

wait a sec.. drinking ginger ale helps out with cold lungs?

USMC Sokol
12-04-09, 04:11 PM
Haha, I was outside in around 10 degree weather working on a house for school, I was a tid bit frozen. A nice 2 mile run warmed me right up!

You work on a house for a school assignment? Niiice!

Endurance89
12-04-09, 08:27 PM
wait a sec.. drinking ginger ale helps out with cold lungs?

I don't think it does, however, ginger ale flavored cough suppressant really suppresses the coughs from the cold lung sensation. :D

MarinesFTW
12-04-09, 11:41 PM
Haha, I might have to try this tip tomorrow. Low of 9 degree's and I still have PT with my recruiter, I'll report back if I can still feel anything after being trashed and frozen all at one.

dds0113
12-05-09, 02:22 PM
Whats the temp like around San Diego in January anyway?

Capital M
12-05-09, 02:32 PM
Whats the temp like around San Diego in January anyway?

temerate. san diego i like the perfect place. (this may or may not include MCRD)

Endurance, I didn't know that...interesting. Once it gets warm I'll have to try it out. Couple of days ago it was in the 60s. ReDICulous

Capital M
12-05-09, 02:52 PM
**cold

MarinesFTW
12-05-09, 03:09 PM
Well, after losing 3 fingures to them just snapping off due to being frozen, I am back, and alive. All jokes aside it was a great work out, a kid decided it would be fun to run it in a short sleeve shirt and shorts, ended up having to give him my extra gear.

TKOTapout
01-10-10, 06:27 PM
A Days
* 3 Mile run (untimed, w/ weighted vest,gloves,ankle weights)
* A$$ kicking workout circuit (for 3 sets 1 min rest in between)all with weighted vest

Max set pushups
Max set sledgehammer swings
Max set widearm pushups
Max set squats w/ kettlebells
Max set diamond pushups
Max set kettle bell swings

* 3-2min sets of USMC style crunches

* Scheduled INSANITY workout dvd (these workouts tend to kick my A$$ esp. with the vest on)

B Days
* 30 min heavy bag workout w/ vest and weighted gloves
* 3x3 Rope climb with vest
* 3 sets Pull-Ups with weighted vest
*3 sets Chin-ups with weighted vest
* 3 sets Nuetral grip pull-ups with weighted vest
* 3 sets ab strap leg raises
* Scheduled Insanity workout

Bcove90
01-10-10, 10:24 PM
monday-upper body weights + pullups and 2 mile run
tuesday- 2.5 mile run .5 mile incline run
wednesday-upper body weights + pullups and 2 mile run
thursday-poolee PT, varies sometimes we play football sometimes we run 3-4 miles
friday- upper and lower body weights + pullups and a run if thursdays PT was easy
saturday-2 mile run
sunday- 1 mile 7 minute pace and bike.

sometimes i slack though if something comes up

ds11
01-11-10, 02:44 PM
I will never understand why some people train like bodybuilders. I do crossfit 3-4 times a week and olympic lifting 3 times per week.

www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

check it out

Crossfit is awesome. I encourage every poolee to try it out. I've been on it for a while now and it's helped my IST. I have been doing nothing but improve.

PSMN
01-17-10, 12:28 PM
a good workout to try-
25m lunge with (2)50# Ammo Cans
15 pushups once you reach the 25m mark
Ammo Can carry back 25m
15 military press with (1)50# Ammo Can
800m run
repeat 3 rounds for time

PSMN
01-17-10, 12:30 PM
Crossfit is awesome. I encourage every poolee to try it out. I've been on it for a while now and it's helped my IST. I have been doing nothing but improve.
yes crossfit does help ALOT..
my very first IST scores were as follows
pullups-16
situps-78
1.5 mile-10:31

i did crossfit workouts for a month~new scores were :
pullups-19
situps-98
1.5 mile-9:56

PSMN
01-17-10, 12:31 PM
yes crossfit does help ALOT..my very first IST scores were as follows
pullups-16
situps-78
1.5 mile-10:31

i did crossfit workouts for a month~new scores were :
pullups-19
situps-98
1.5 mile-9:56

Brozo
01-22-10, 03:22 PM
Im going MARSOC( force recon ) and i need a better workout. My IST scores are 1 1/2mile run= 9:35
pullups:16
chrunches= 119
If anyone can give me a workout to try out please do.

TKOTapout
01-22-10, 04:00 PM
INSANITY + Armstrong Pullup Program (w/ weighted vest) = 1st Class IST/PFT everytime

Brozo
01-22-10, 06:08 PM
ok thanks

TKOTapout
01-22-10, 07:21 PM
Also programs likes P90X and Crossfit are good but with crossfit i would advise not getting into the habit of doing kipping pullups.

ds11
01-23-10, 09:14 AM
Also programs likes P90X and Crossfit are good but with crossfit i would advise not getting into the habit of doing kipping pullups.

I've been doing crossfit for a while now. Agreed. Kipping is bad mmkay?!

ak74u28
01-23-10, 03:28 PM
I've been doing crossfit for a while now. Agreed. Kipping is bad mmkay?!
Sure it's a bad habit bacause un the Marine Corps you're not allowed to do that stuff.

TKOTapout
01-23-10, 06:45 PM
Sure it's a bad habit bacause un the Marine Corps you're not allowed to do that stuff.

That was the point of my post broseph.

Hughlett
01-25-10, 08:44 AM
Circuit training seems like it is the best way to get ready for boot camp. Most of the workouts we do for PT at my recruiting station deal with body weight exercises for long periods of time. My favorite workout comes from crossfit, it is called Trevor i think. I do this workout with another poolee. It requires team work and motivation.

Run 1.5 miles
100 pull-ups (between the two of you)
150 burpees (between the two of you)
200 push-ups (between the two of you)
250 sit-ups (between the two of you)
300 squats (between the two of you)
Run 1.5 miles

No breaks or water in between the workouts

ds11
01-25-10, 09:14 AM
Hughlett, as for the squats in your list are you referring to air squats?

Marinepoolee24
01-25-10, 09:20 AM
We have our own PT with our recruiter. It's on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and lasts about 2 hours.

TKOTapout
01-25-10, 05:58 PM
Run 1.5 miles
100 pull-ups (between the two of you)
150 burpees (between the two of you)
200 push-ups (between the two of you)
250 sit-ups (between the two of you)
300 squats (between the two of you)
Run 1.5 miles

No breaks or water in between the workouts

You better double those numbers if its between two people lol, minus the run.

ds11
01-25-10, 09:30 PM

Actually what he has down is all you need. You just don't take breaks. I've done tons of the workouts. Many of them are quite brief, but the amount of work your body does makes up for the short time. I was on an 4-week cycle that my buddy and I did and we weren't in the gym for over 30 minutes each day. (with one rest day per week) It kicked my arse. Especially the days with 4x 1/4 mile sprints. I loved it. As long as you follow a healthy diet as well, you will benefit from it, bigtime.

Hughlett
01-25-10, 10:33 PM

Why minus the run?? and those numbers are pretty legit if you take no break between workouts

ETWilliams0209
01-25-10, 10:35 PM
Right now I'm running an IST every day and doing 10 pull ups any time I exit or enter my room (shot up 2 pull ups in 2 days doing that).
I WAS doing PFTs but I got lazy over Christmas and New Years (:mad: stupidstupidstupid STUPID!!) so now I'm back to ISTs, I'll probably be running 3mi again by the end of the week though.

IST

Pull Ups: 20
Crunches: 85
1.5 Mi: 11:48

Hughlett
01-25-10, 10:49 PM
I've started going on two 6 mile runs per week. It makes the 1.5 seem like nothing.

Bama Boi
01-25-10, 10:55 PM
I just took another IST today with my recruiter. Still trying to improve my pullups though.

Pullups: 16
Crunches: 170
1.5 mile: 10:00

ds11
01-26-10, 06:42 AM
I just took another IST today with my recruiter. Still trying to improve my pullups though.

Pullups: 16
Crunches: 170
1.5 mile: 10:00

You've got the turbo-crunches down haha. Good numbers keep it up:thumbup:

HallSR
01-26-10, 12:49 PM
just did another pt the other day...

Bama Boi
01-26-10, 08:43 PM
You've got the turbo-crunches down haha. Good numbers keep it up:thumbup:

Haha, thanks man . My recruiter was surprised I did that many. I'm lacking on the pullups and run time. So I'm going to keep working on that.

ds11
01-27-10, 07:33 AM
Haha, thanks man . My recruiter was surprised I did that many. I'm lacking on the pullups and run time. So I'm going to keep working on that.

Your run isn't bad at all, but you should still be set up for more. There's always room for improvement.

Bama Boi
01-27-10, 07:46 PM
Your run isn't bad at all, but you should still be set up for more. There's always room for improvement.
Yea you right. I'm aiming for a 300 PFT before boot camp.

ds11
01-27-10, 08:55 PM
Yea you right. I'm aiming for a 300 PFT before boot camp.

Yea. I've got a while before I ship, but I've been working pretty hard and definitely stepped it up these past few weeks.

Bama Boi
01-28-10, 07:45 PM
Yea. I've got a while before I ship, but I've been working pretty hard and definitely stepped it up these past few weeks.
I have 6 months left before I ship. So I hav a good amount of time to get to where I want to be.

Kerosian
01-29-10, 04:39 AM
Most recent IST (last tuesday)
24 pullups (Helps being 5'6" 125lbs
121 crunches
8:40ish run
Now if I just have to keep it up through boot camp (leaving 20100208)

ksilvia
02-07-10, 05:13 PM
my pull ups are just pathetic I can only do 2 and I leave march 8th I'm trying to get to 10, by the way 2 weeks ago I couldn't even do 1 does anyone think its possible for me to get to 10

xjrgjrgx
02-08-10, 12:22 AM
My PT is quite sad really. I mean I have never been a strong runner, but no excuses. I have improved significantly since I DEP'd in though!

ex:

December 01, 2009
1.5 mile: 13:30
Pullups: 3
Situps: 50

February 01, 2010
1.5 11:20
Pullups: 15
Situps: 80

Still need to get my conditioning up. I find myself breathing really heavy on those runs, and falling back some. :(

WAR-Machine
02-14-10, 02:01 PM
Currently, my best IST is 13 pullups, 90 crunches, and an 11:14 1.5 mile. I haven't been running as much due to the cold and I mainly do weight training an cross fit. During the summer I planned to kick it up a few notches and I want ya'lls opinion on this.

Gavin Warren McCort (http://www.facebook.com/Gavin.McCort) February 13 at 9:38pm
Monday/Wednesday:
Marine PT from 6 AM till 7AM or so
Weight training from 12 PM until 1 PM
Marine PT from 5:30 PM until 6:30 PM

tuesday:
morning run for about 45 minutes or so
Weight training from about 3-4 PM
cardio on the elliptical(to help keep my knees in good shape) for about 30 minutes after weights

Thursday:
Morning run for about 45 minutes
Weight training from 11-12 or 12-1
Marine PT from 5:30-6:30 or so

Friday:
Marine PT from 6AM until 7 AM or so
Weights from 3 PM until 4PM
elliptical for about 30 minutes after weights

Saturday:
1 hour of swimming
40 lbs 10 mile road march

the rest of saturday and all of sunday will be resting

that's about 17 hours of training a week. Too much?

sbombard15
02-14-10, 05:08 PM
To me it looks like its too much. I also think you would be better off doing all your exercise together in a day.

WAR-Machine
02-14-10, 05:10 PM
I was just going by the recommendation from a current Marine that I'm good friends with. He said a regimen like this would be better to at least, sort of replicate the physical stress of boot camp without going overboard.

Private Brown
04-04-10, 08:39 PM
Sunday- Long run, max set push ups & then knee push ups, 100 eight count body builders, hold plank position until failure
Monday- 3-100 Crunches & then flutter kicks, max set pull ups & then dumbbell rows, 100 push ups
Tuesday- 4- ¼ mile Speed runs, Pyramid pull ups (australian, rows) , max close to wide push ups, 50 eight count body builders, max leg lifts
Wednesday- 5- Speed crunches (until not fast), 3 training sets (pull ups, chin ups, back of neck chin ups) (australian, rows), 100 push ups, 50 eight count body builders
Thursday- 3 mile run, Max training sets pull ups (australian, rows), max incline push ups, 50 eight count body builders, 500 ab twists
Friday- 200 bicycle crunch, 40 pull ups (australian, rows), 100 push ups, 50 eight count body builders
Saturday- Hill runs & mountain climbers (until past comfort zone), 3-30 push ups using the rotating perfect pushup, 100 v crunches

Complete 1 week, rest 3 days, repeat
Give 3 days rest before IST
No more than 3 days rest/week

Things needed for workout: Perfect Push Up, Perfect Pull Up

I made this workout schedule on Tuesday. I am really anxious to see how it works for me. I firmly believe that every one has a certain routine that works for them and that the only way to find it is through learning, and trial and error.

Yonkers
04-05-10, 10:42 AM
Well, my standard workout is a 4mile run every other day depending on the weather. At night before bed I set up a number of different things I could possibly do on a piece of paper and number them, then I ask a random person to tell me a random number... and do the exercise.

Last night it was do 500 pushups before I can go to sleep. I did it by doing 50 pushups every commercial break while watching TV.

I also do lifeguarding which keeps me in shape. Looking for places in my house to put my punching bag too, get back into doing speed drills and such like I did for MMA.

alphasquirrel
04-05-10, 01:45 PM
I've learned that by myself I don't do diddly. I'm also not as challenged as when I work out in a group. I just have way too much to do at home. With a baby and a home to take care of, if I'm in my home I've got 100 things I should be doing besides working out.

My only chance is getting out and doing things. So I joined the YMCA, got a list of their classes and signed up for a different class for every day of the week.

Monday is Total Body Fitness which is a mixture of everything from upper body, core, legs and cardio. There is a lot of running involved as well.
Tuesday morning I go to a Core Fitness class and then to Yoga and finish off swimming.
Wednesday is core fitness again.
Thursday is Core Fitness, Yoga and Swimming and I finish off with an upper body class.
Friday is another Total Body Class that REALLY mixes it up and gets you moving. Some days we run the stairs for the whole hour, some times we do other stuff and work on particular things like arms, legs, etc.

I never thought of Yoga as a good exercise for something like the military but I started to go upon recommendation of a doctor after giving birth to my son. I was told it would be a more gentle and gradual way to get me back to the place where I could start doing harder exercises. It has been fantastic for stretching, balance and muscle tone and general muscular health. Also, balance work does numbers for helping tone and strengthen the small muscles of the feet, knees, shoulders, elbows and hands that help support your joints. Even if you don't get into Yoga, I would strongly recommend doing some balance work in addition to anyone's exercise routines for those healthy joints.