PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps band, silent drill platoon wow 12,000 in Mentor

thedrifter
08-06-09, 06:56 AM
Marine Corps band, silent drill platoon wow 12,000 in Mentor

Thursday, August 6, 2009

By Jacob Lammers
JLammers@News-Herald.com

Wearing a shirt with U.S.M.C. on the back, Rose Simek watched in rapt attention as Marines marched across the football field.

The click and clack of Marines shuffling their rifles from one hand to the next echoed Tuesday night across Jerome T. Osborne stadium in Mentor.

As one Marine twirled his rifle around his hand, the rifle's fixed bayonet passed within inches of another Marine directly across from him. Neither soldier blinked and continued marching in perfect unison.

"I just like their precision," said Simek, whose father and nephews are in the U.S. Marine Corps. "The impressive part is no one's commanding them. It's so precise. One little mistake and it could be the end."

The Marines' performance was part of the ninth biannual Take Pride in America event at Mentor High School. The Marine Drum & Bugle Corps and the Marine Corps Color Guard also impressed the crowd of 12,000.

"Brings back a lot of memories," former Marine William Weimer said.

"I'm always proud to wear my Marine shirts and hats. I'm proud to be a Marine."

At the beginning of the show, Capt. Mark Morgan swore in 348 poolees, those who have joined the Marine Corps through the Delayed Entry Program. They include high school and college graduates from Northeast Ohio. The swear-in was perhaps the largest in Ohio.

Morgan described the swear-in as a reconfirmation of the poolees' oath of enlistment.

"Most importantly this is the future of our Corps," Morgan said. "We need leaders to lead and train the next generation."

The Marines Corps band and silent drill platoon, based in Washington, D.C., perform 400 to 500 times a year. They move all of their own equipment to and from each show.

Lt. Col. Brent A. Harrison heads the group and was given the key to the city from Mentor Council President Robert M. Shiner.

"It's always an honor to have them here," said Shiner, a U.S. Air Force veteran. "The people understand how important it is. It's the land of the free because of our military."

Harrison said the participants are Marines first.

Members of the specialized units are still required to qualify on the rifle range and continue training for their military occupational specialty.

Wearing red Marine uniforms, The Commandant's Own, as the Drum & Bugle Corps is known, played various renditions including "Kiss Me Kate" and "Another Op'nin', Another Show."

The preparation of the band and silent drill team is evident in their choreographed maneuvers and marches.

The silent drill team practices daily. Before it performs its first show, members have spent more than 1,000 hours practicing.

"They're excellent," said former Marine Chris Moss of Mentor.

"The time they put in, the executive ... amazing."

During the show, Maj. Michael Sheridan of Euclid also honored several former and current veterans who were in attendance.

"We've all heard the call of duty and answered it without question," said Sheridan, Headquarters and Service Company Commander, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, in Brook Park.

"It is the spirit and pride of America that we're honoring tonight."

Ellie