PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe was a Marine

Seeley
07-31-03, 04:49 PM
I was watching the History Channel today and they were talking about a Mitchell Paige. He was a platoon sergeant in World War II at Guadalcanal. When the Japanese attacked one night he was the only one left who could fight and he used all 4 of his machine guns to keep the Japanese from taking the airfield. The Japanese thought that there were many more Marines up there because of the way he defended his position. He then grabbed one of the 40lbs machine guns and shot it from his hip charging at the enemy! After the battle was over, he recieved the Medal of Honor and got a battlefield commission. GI Joe was also created in his image. That's right, because of his bravery, GI Joe was created to look like Mitchell Paige, a Marine.

Everyone should read up on this battle along with the others from Guadalcanal.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/usmc-collectors/images%20web/gijoe%20mitchell%20paige.jpg

top1371
07-31-03, 06:11 PM
At last check Col Mitchell Paige was still alive and kicking. I was at 29 Palms last year (thats where he lives) and he was giving a talk to some NCO's. There is also the Paige Museum at the Sergeants Course out there.

Semper Fi,

assault69
07-31-03, 07:52 PM
IT GOES TO SHOW
LIKE EVERY ONE KNOWS
THE USMC
IS THE WAY TO GO.

WE NEVER GIVE UP
AND WE FIGHT TILL WE WIN
JOINING THE MARINES
IS THE BEST WAY TO BEGIN

ITS NOT A REGRET