PDA

View Full Version : Marine Hopeful Looking For Help

BChrisMitchell
08-03-09, 02:56 PM
This is my first post on the forums, but I've been reading a while, since before I first registered. My stepfather (and the only man I call Dad) is a Marine who was stationed over in Oki. If I remember correctly, he was one of the dodgers working on the deck of the carriers. These days, he does flooring installation and has been for a long time. His membership in the Marines, along with some of the stories he told, as well as GySgt Hathcock's story have been inspirational for me for a very long time. I bounced around the thought of joining, but wasn't sure because of my hearing loss. (I wear bilateral hearing aids.)

Finally, I decided thinking ain't the same thing as doing so decided to have the local recruiter's office send a copy of my last audiogram to see what MEPS had to say about the possibility of a hearing loss waiver. I just heard today that they think it's too far out of range. This is a bit of a blow for me, but all it does is makes me that much more stubborn. You don't tell people in my family that something can't be done. We will kill ourselves proving you wrong. I am determined to do whatever it takes to make it into the Corps.

I already found the other thread in the forums from another gentleman with a similar situation a few years back and have been reading through it. I'm looking to start writing letters and emails, including references from a few Marine friends I have (one of which was a Major, in fact. He got out of boot in '88, if I remember correctly.).

Any suggestions, comments, help, or even downright DI-style motivation would be greatly appreciated.

cammedNslammed
08-03-09, 03:32 PM
Stay motivated! Dont give up and who knows what could happen.

Kreegz
08-03-09, 03:45 PM
Welcome! You would probably get a better response if you posted this in the "Ask a Marine" forum. This forum is for Poolees only, Marines can't post in here.

thedrifter
08-03-09, 03:48 PM
Welcome! You would probably get a better response if you posted this in the "Ask a Marine" forum. This forum is for Poolees only, Marines can't post in here.

We Don't Double Post;)

BChrisMitchell
08-03-09, 05:30 PM
Gathering from Drifter's response, I gather mirroring this post in that forum would be inappropriate. Miss Drifter, what say you?

BChrisMitchell
08-03-09, 05:45 PM
Nevermind. Sorry to waste your time guys.

Hartford
08-03-09, 10:15 PM
Why do you say "Nevermind."? Did you receive bad news about the topic?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-04-09, 02:00 AM
A waiver will be extremely difficult to obtain. If you wear hearing aids or require them at this time, I'd say it would be darn near impossible.