PDA

View Full Version : USCG/USN & The Marines

Books
08-01-09, 08:46 PM
So I was watching this program on the history channel today about the military's new era of maritime anti-terrorism and anti-piracy. The US Coast Guard actually seemed pretty badass with a whole bunch of new outfits designed to eliminate pirate/terrorist threats, and they seem to be more and more active overseas (especially since Vietnam) instead of just being our national "coast" guard. The US Navy has also dominated the spotlight in the media in recent times in terms of anti-piracy operations, like that whole SEAL operation a few months ago involving the sniping of those pirates on the raft. My question is, where are the Marines?

Weren't the Marines originally created to defend Navy vessels and board enemy ships during battle? They were the original "soldiers of the sea". How come we have yet to hear of any USMC involvement in this type of warfare? It seems like the USMC is capable of doing everything conceivable on the modern battlefield... except their original purpose. Like, we don't see any USMC MOS for any of these small-boat type of things or boarding parties or what-not, but it seems so obvious. Does anyone understand my confusion?

Respect,
Books

Cressler
08-01-09, 10:53 PM
Because were to busy doing real jobs to play with pirates and the seals fired like three shots i don't think it was that hard of an adventure the fact is Marines are doing all kind of stuff all the time the media is well the media they take what ever they can make into a great story and blow it out of proportion

JWG
08-01-09, 11:33 PM
Was only one incident. Doesn't mean the Marines will not again if the situation permits.

yoitsfrank
08-02-09, 12:14 AM
I see Marines in the news daily, Afghanistan coverage.

MarinesFTW
08-02-09, 12:43 AM
I havn't heard jack about the USCG or the USN doing anything oversea's. Yet I hear of Marines doing stuff oversea's all the time. The SEAL's were in the spotlight for like a week, congrats, they did there job and they did it well. The Marines arn't going to go and get all hyped up about such a small operation, there fighting a war, thats a hell of alot more important. The Navy has the SEAL's for those operations. The Corps also has recon, which might do some of those things, but you never really know because stuff like that can be classified. Dont worrie about it, you'll do your job in the Corps and the USCG and the USN will do theres. It seems to work fine, so dont worrie.

gonzo4
08-02-09, 12:59 AM
Since the world wars the mission of the Marine Corps has changed from what it was originally made for. There have been several cases in which the Marine Corps was almost disbanded because in modern naval warfare the boarding of ships is a little irrelevant. What has made the Marine Corps a valuable part of the armed services is the sea to land or amphibious warfare. Before the Marines did it it was thought to be a myth that it would ever happen. Lo and behold it did and that's why there are MEUs, the Marines can land nearly anywhere within 24 hours. All in all, the mission of the Marine Corps has changed since the birth of the Corps.

SeanRyan32
08-02-09, 01:50 AM
I believe a bunch of Marines just come back from combating piracy.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87288&highlight=pirates

Weeman4307
08-02-09, 03:25 AM
I think the reason you don't hear about is because it might still be classified info. Not to mention the War in Iraq/Afghan is the medias main coverage right now, pirates are not that big of a deal. But as I said earlier the missions are probably secret and don't need to be blasted on the news. Cause if I'm a pirate and hear US Marines are raiding pirated boats and such.....I would quit the pirating business. :)

duarte
08-02-09, 08:59 AM
Okay... then you should most definitely join the USCG so you can fight Jack Sparrow and his cronies huh? Or the USN SEAL's so you can get dropped in the first 6 days into their indoctrination right? ha ha

No really, the Marines have been to Somalia to fight the pirates along with the SEAL's, check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/somaliaveteran/info.html

And there is plenty more where that came from..
Oh if Marines were allowed to post here they would not have liked your post my guy.
I mean no disrespect whatsoever, just a reality check.

MotivatedIzzy
08-02-09, 11:23 PM
We should really be thinking of the Marines in Afghanistan and be grateful we have brave men like them fighting for our freedom.

PooleeHunt
08-03-09, 12:17 AM
Well Marines can't post in this forum for a reason, because its meant to be a place for poolees to discuss with other poolees whatever they want that's Corps related. So the reality check you're giving him is unneeded, and it sounds rude to me. He didn't ask Marines the question, he asked us. He merely asked a question about the kinds of missions the Marines do, based on the overwhelming presentation of Marines being just ground assault troops in the media. You had the answer to his question, no need to make it defensive. He was clearly being respectful to the Corps and just didn't know the Marines have been involved in these types of missions, but are underrepresented in the media.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-04-09, 02:09 AM
First, as you can see, SOME Marines can still post here.

Now that that is cleared up......

Time for some history:

The Coast Guard evolved from the US Lifeboat Service and the Revenue Cutter service. Their entire mission is to work the coastline, do rescues, etc. In WWII the Coasties also drove Marines into battle aboard the small boats, among other things, including killing Nazi subs off the coastline. The Coasties do good work and are deserving of respect, but their mission is completely different than the Marines. Apples and Oranges.

SEALs are special operations forces designed for VERY specific missions and situations. That is all they do. You don't send in SEAL's when you are fighting the "3 block war", nor do they pass out HumRats to starving civilians, or perform crowd control, build schools, or anything else. WE do all those things. You will be a 'jack of all trades' for sure. SEALs are extremely good at what they do, but they are NOT 'us'.

The Marines, until WWI, were a small force, designed to protect naval ships and provide a 'landing force' to seize and hold advanced naval bases. That was it. After WWI, we started doing some new missions, and WWII pretty much 'sealed the deal' for the Corps.

I'd encourage ALL poolees to read up on their Marine Corps history and not just 'from the web', either. Real books. You will learn much.

Now go forth and study.

Books
08-04-09, 07:36 AM
Thank you, Sgt. and other poolees.

PooleeHunt
08-04-09, 08:17 AM
Oh is it because you're a Moderator or are some given special permission? Thanks for the history!

Gunner614
08-04-09, 02:11 PM
The Marine Corps does have an antiterrorism/piracy unit.

MOS 8154 - - Marine Corps Security Force (MCSF) Close Quarters Battle (CQB) Team

The MCSF CQB team member will be assigned to duty with MCSF Fleet Antiterrorism Security Teams (FAST) Companies and/or Security Force Companies. As a part of a CQB team and utilizing CQB techniques, the team member will be required to restore security to prevent access, damage, or removal of vital naval assets. The CQB team member will be physically and mentally capable of enduring the rigors of combat, be knowledgeable in the safe and proper <NOBR>employment (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/#)</NOBR> of CQB weapons, be skilled in land navigation and patrolling, be well versed in interior guard procedures, and be familiar with antiterrorist tactics and techniques. He also will be required to conduct offensive infantry tactics in confined spaces, ashore and afloat, to restore security when breached.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-04-09, 10:35 PM
Oh is it because you're a Moderator or are some given special permission? Thanks for the history!

I'm a mod and I *try* to only post helpful and useful information. Doesn't mean I'm infallible tho.

Gunner, you are correct, and I forgot about that. Thanks for that information.