PDA

View Full Version : What do you fellow Poolees do for your Poolee Meets/Days?

Hartford
08-01-09, 08:36 PM
So what do you guys do? Here's what I did:

Woke up this morning at 0645 for the IST because I was a turd and failed it the first time with a 13:31 run. :mad:

Due to some motivation by one of my recruiters I passed with a 13:06 while having a semi-injured ankle. It sucked and my legs hurt and after the first 1/8 mile I wanted to just quit but I trucked it out and when I finally passed I was damn happy. I got 14 pullups and 116 crunches too which are new records for me.

Then after the IST all of us from the RSS went to this chicken restaurant where there's this challenge. If you eat all 12 of the "spicy" chicken wings in 10 minutes you win. In the past, only one of the recruiters has passed, one got 5 and one of the new recruiters today got 1. About 6 poolees tried it and the best person got 2.5 before quitting. Some people took one bite and were done and people who had even just 1 were dying. There eyes were red, snot coming out of their mouth, puking, face was purple, they were sweating. Lol...I'm so glad I didn't do it. I have videos though that I'll post later. I tried the sauce and dipped my finger in it and ate it and even that made me start coughing, burning, sweating.

Next weekend we're going to the beach for a "run"...:mad: Beach run...FML. Should be fun after though.

JWG
08-01-09, 09:17 PM
Run IST's and whatever PT/workout they decide to slay us with that day. Usually meet Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's, including second Saturdays of the month.

We do fun activities every now and then. We just went on a group canoeing trip today, and Wednesday of this week we are going to the the Silent Drill Platoon. Can't wait.

thekevo
08-01-09, 09:30 PM
August 14th our RSS is taking a trip to PI to watch a graduation. Have to be at the station at 0130 - which I'm not looking forward to, but it should be quite inspirational. I'm pretty excited, and it should give all of us quite a bit of motivation. Looking forward to it.

Books
08-01-09, 10:50 PM
We've done quite a variety of activities. We've done IST's and drill practice, we've gone bowling and arcades, we've visited the entrepid, and on the 8th I believe we're going paintballing. I think that will be my last pool function before I ship.

JSam
08-01-09, 11:48 PM
August 14th our RSS is taking a trip to PI to watch a graduation. Have to be at the station at 0130 - which I'm not looking forward to, but it should be quite inspirational. I'm pretty excited, and it should give all of us quite a bit of motivation. Looking forward to it.

Nice to see another RS Atlanta guy here.
Who's your SNCOIC? I want to head to PI to watch a graduation. Haha.

We usually do some sort of circuit course, each station having a recruiter testing our knowledge.

Weeman4307
08-02-09, 03:19 AM
Down here in Texas we have weekly PT on Thursdays in which we run about 3-4 miles, do pull ups and crunches. Along our run we stop at certain point to do some exercises, and calisthenics.

Then we have our monthly IST meet on Saturday, do the usual IST. Afterwards we usually play a game(soccer, football, baseball, etc.) But last month our Sgt. Maj. got us a meet with 4th Recon(Reserve Unit), they talked to us and showed us some of their toys.

duarte
08-02-09, 09:04 AM
In Indianapolis we meet every Wednesday. We only run IST's once every two months. However, we get thrashed most the times. Our recruiters do every single exercise along with us, and we are in pretty good shape when the IST time comes around. Last week no one failed theirs, not even the guys and gals that have not DEP'ped in.

thekevo
08-02-09, 09:58 AM
Nice to see another RS Atlanta guy here.
Who's your SNCOIC? I want to head to PI to watch a graduation. Haha.

We usually do some sort of circuit course, each station having a recruiter testing our knowledge.

Gunnery Sergeant Ballew is our SNCOIC. We pretty much never have fun at the station - there's really no such thing. We're not there to have fun and play games, we're always getting blasted, which I don't really mind - that's the way it should be. It's always workout, workout, workout.

duarte
08-02-09, 10:07 AM
Oh... sometimes we play ultimate football which is fun man. But it is fast paced lots of cardio. We get thrashed.

Hartford
08-02-09, 12:14 PM
We only have 1 poolee I think now that can't do the IST, mostly because he's overweight/too weak. That will change soon though as he goes to PT every time and is willing to put some work in.

fisch
08-02-09, 02:28 PM
we meet every Wednesday and either play games like football or basketball all fast paced ( if we don't go fast we run and push) or we do circuits or stations. Every Monday we also have "Monday Fundays" with our SNCOIC and the other recruiters which is and intense workout for anyone who can't pass the IST and anyone else who wants to go and motivate. The second Saturday of each month we also get together and run an IST, and then practice drill get courses on our Knowledge then mess around playing some game

MotivatedIzzy
08-02-09, 11:30 PM
our RSS meet's up every saturday at 0800.
last saturday our First Sergeant came into our RSS and Ran the 3 mile with us halfway we did pushups, situps, sungods, etc. then we ran back in formation I was the crossing gaurd. We later went to Lancaster park and played Dodgeball
after we got done with that we wenttop round table and ate.

HammerOfJustice
08-02-09, 11:47 PM
I had a full reply typed out and accidentally lost it when I hit the wrong key. I'm re-typing it into a text editor this time so I can copy+paste when I'm done. Learning has occurred.

My RSS hosts optional PT every Monday through Thursday at 1600, and mandatory pool functions every 3rd Saturday of the month. This past month, we hit the beach for a MCMAP conditioning circuit course. Nine orange safety cones were set out on the beach in a loose circle, each roughly 20 yards apart. A different exercise was to be performed at each station, followed by a specific movement to the next station. The platoon was broken down into four squads of 10 poolees each, and the circuit was run by one squad at a time. The entire squad had to complete each exercise or motion before progressing to the next.

1st Station: 20 Stand-up Sit-ups Movement: Low crawl
2nd Station: 20 sprints between Stations 1+2 Movement: Forward shoulder roll
3rd Station: 10 Squad Push-ups Movement: Fireman Carry
4th Station: 20 8-count Bodybuilders Movement: Flutter kicks
5th Station: Max set of Crunches (2 Min) Movement: Lunges
6th Station: 20 4-count Push-ups Movement: High crawl
7th Station: 20 Star Grabbers Movement: Low crawl
8th Station: 5 Squad Push-ups Movement: Bear crawl
9th Station: 10 4-count Push-ups (Finish)

danno
08-03-09, 02:42 AM
Haven't been to a meeting yet. After I got through with MEPS, I was told we meet every Wednesday, but my recruiter hasn't called. You think I should give him a call and try to meet on Wednesday? That's what I'm going to do this week.

JWG
08-03-09, 12:35 PM
Haven't been to a meeting yet. After I got through with MEPS, I was told we meet every Wednesday, but my recruiter hasn't called. You think I should give him a call and try to meet on Wednesday? That's what I'm going to do this week.

LOL. When did you DEP, and how long have you been AWOL? Your recruiter told you they meet every Wednesday. I don't think he said, "Ill call you when to come in." YES, GO WEDNESDAY to the recruiting station. It is probably their pool function. I know at my RSS it's mandatory for a poolee to come to the pool functions unless he has a good excuse and is excused by his/her recruiter.

Hartford
08-03-09, 10:16 PM
Call your recruiter tomorrow morning and ask him what time to be at the Recruiting Station on Wednesday and be there 10 minutes early. They probably think you're purposely ditching or something. I know one time I forgot to go to a poolee event one Saturday morning and I ended up paying for it. :mad:

sbombard15
08-03-09, 10:41 PM
At my RS you get discharged if you dont show up. No excuses.

Cressler
08-03-09, 11:06 PM
Since your not actually getting paid to be there they can't make it "mandatory" persay and if they tried to kick you out on that basis that could very easily get in trouble if the person tried to follow up on it even though the Service is voluntary you can't force someone to spend money on gas and other stuff if there not compensating you

That being said you should still go everyweek unless you can do a perfect IST then you should still keep working on your own

sbombard15
08-03-09, 11:13 PM
Since your not actually getting paid to be there they can't make it "mandatory" persay and if they tried to kick you out on that basis that could very easily get in trouble if the person tried to follow up on it even though the Service is voluntary you can't force someone to spend money on gas and other stuff if there not compensating you

That being said you should still go everyweek unless you can do a perfect IST then you should still keep working on your own

We have one once a month thats mandatory. Like i said no excuses so if you dont have gas my recruiter will pick you up. Our recruiters have been getting in alot of trouble because of the attendance. One kid has been kicked for it already.

Cressler
08-03-09, 11:36 PM
Well if there picking you up thats differn't our one recruiter has to pick some kids up but if your recruiters won't pick you up then they can't force you to be there and use your money

sbombard15
08-04-09, 12:52 AM
Well yea they cant force you to come if you have no way of getting there but we are not talking about that.

HammerOfJustice
08-04-09, 12:55 AM
Right, I work at 1600 so I can't make it to the Mon-Thur PT sessions, which would otherwise be mandatory for me since I'm shipping soon. This is considered an excusable absence.

However, I am still expected to show up for the once-monthly all-hands meetings since it is scheduled well in advance that they will occur on the 3rd Saturday of every month. I *have* been scheduled to work on those days before, and work has simply had to cope with the fact that I'm not going to be coming in since I have a prior engagement with the dirt.

SabreJack
08-04-09, 01:08 AM
I was told we meet once a month, typically on a saturday morning in a town about 2 hours away. We all wake up, meet at the mall and drive to Roswell. We have run one IST, and the only other time we have met, we went through a mock swim qual. I have heard stories that about a week before i DEPed, they went to a local AF base and went thru the CS Chamber and ran the same excersize administered at boot camp. I went to Meps on April 30th, and have only had 2 poolee meetings...

BTW, HammerOfJustice, how did you pass the DLAB? I was told there is no pass/fail...just a score...and if they decide to teach you a foreign language, they base which one off of your score.

sbombard15
08-04-09, 01:14 AM
Right, I work at 1600 so I can't make it to the Mon-Thur PT sessions, which would otherwise be mandatory for me since I'm shipping soon. This is considered an excusable absence.

However, I am still expected to show up for the once-monthly all-hands meetings since it is scheduled well in advance that they will occur on the 3rd Saturday of every month. I *have* been scheduled to work on those days before, and work has simply had to cope with the fact that I'm not going to be coming in since I have a prior engagement with the dirt.

Yes for us the all hands meeting is required. It is always the second saturday of the month so people have PLENTY of time to request that day off of work. The little ones in between are ok to miss with reasonable excuse.

HammerOfJustice
08-04-09, 01:26 AM
BTW, HammerOfJustice, how did you pass the DLAB? I was told there is no pass/fail...just a score...and if they decide to teach you a foreign language, they base which one off of your score.

Although it is correct that technically speaking you do not "pass" or "fail" the test, the same could be said of the ASVAB. It isn't a pass/fail test, you are issued a score. The score only means something in comparison to what jobs (or in some cases branch of service!) you're eligible for.

With the DLAB, if you don't have a certain minimum score, there aren't any languages you're eligible to learn. To qualify at the highest level (Korean and Arabic, among others), you need 110 (waiverable to 100). I scored higher than that, so I consider it "passing".

Gunner614
08-04-09, 01:50 PM
We meet every friday at 1600 for PT or sports and whatnot. Lately it feels like we have been running an IST every week though. A week ago after an IST we went on a run that turned out to be the hardest thing I have ever had to do. We went for a 3 mile run on a horse trail that is about 80% uphill. We actually had a guy drop from heat exhaustion becasue it was also like 90 degrees.

MattNC
08-04-09, 02:43 PM
Ours is once a month mandatory. We don't really do anything like others have mentioned. Just the basic stuff thats free lol. IST once every 3 months or so. We had the state poolee functions twice. We played basketball once, we had some DI's and the head honcho of the state come down at one function. Then this coming Saturday will be my last pool function before I leave, and I'll be doing an IST and flag football.

PooleeHunt
08-04-09, 03:56 PM
Yep, check your DEP book. On the second page it says 'You are required to maintain weekly contact with your recruiter. You're also required to attend scheduled meetings with your recruiter and other...

Hartford
08-04-09, 07:19 PM
If you're a complete turd and don't show up they may kick you out. But pretty much every poolee WANTS to be there. If you don't want to be there, you're in the wrong place and should just quit now. I go to PT Monday and Friday and workout on my own on the other days except when PT absolutely destroys me and cripples me for 2-3 days following the PT. Right now my ankle is sore though so I didn't go to PT this week, still hit the gym though to work on upper body strength, pullups and abs/crunches. Now that I can't go to PT though I want to go, before I usually dreaded the runs, kind of funny.

sbombard15
08-04-09, 09:05 PM
You would be surprised at how many kids are in my pool that want to be Marines but dont put forth ANY effort.

HammerOfJustice
08-04-09, 09:25 PM
You would be surprised at how many kids are in my pool that want to be Marines but dont put forth ANY effort.

They're in for a real treat in Recruit Training, then! :evilgrin:

I'm sure the Drill Instructors will take extra special care of them, but if they want it bad enough, who knows? They might just make it.

Hartford
08-05-09, 12:12 AM
That's pretty sad they don't put forth much or any effort. I read stories on here about poolees/RSS' meeting once a month at most and 1 day/week for PT...kind of pathetic.

The RSS I'm from has PT Monday, Wednesday, Friday every week with a different recruiter running it each day and then Saturdays about 1/2 the time we have some sort of Poolee function/gathering. The Poolees (for the most part) are highly motivated individuals who want to be Marines and know that it won't be an easy route to get there.

JWG
08-05-09, 07:15 AM
The RSS I'm from has PT Monday, Wednesday, Friday every week with a different recruiter running it each day and then Saturdays about 1/2 the time we have some sort of Poolee function/gathering. The Poolees (for the most part) are highly motivated individuals who want to be Marines and know that it won't be an easy route to get there.

I was thinking maybe we are from the same RSS. Nice to have an active RSS isn't it? Hated PT'ing and running on my own. While it still needed to be done, having a set schedule and camaraderie added in from fellow poolees and Marines definitely makes it that much easier to push yourself farther.

Get Some. :usmc:

atimmons
08-06-09, 05:36 AM
Mandatory DEP-Pool function once a month on a Saturday. Every Monday and Wednesday the poolies from the RSS get together and run. Most of the time it's 3-4 miles depending. Sometimes we do fun things like football or frisbee afterwards. I try to work out on my own but I'm usually too sore from the RSS functions >.<

Good luck to everyone at boot.

Dist Expert 26
08-08-09, 09:21 PM
On Wednesdays we do pull ups, take a USMC knowledge test, then we usually end up playing football. After we do a 1 mile cadence run.

For real PT me and a couple other poolees meet at 1000 every morning during the week and do pullups, situps and running. Most of our pool isn't motivated at all so it's usually 5-7 guys (out of 40).

Cressler
08-08-09, 09:37 PM
Every thursday we do about a 3 mile broken cadence double time
Break up during it and do sprints or run up the hill or fireman cary people pretty much anything we would do at some point in boot
Run some more of it break it up do some knowledge Q&A thing
Then finish the run
Pull ups after the run

Gerken
08-09-09, 01:50 AM
Today our RS did something new after we did the IST. We had this course that we had to do, it was as follows:
Stage 1: run 20 meters, do 50 pushups, run back to starting position
Stage 2: run 40 meters, do 50 crunches, run back to starting position
Stage 3: run 60 meters, do 50 up/downs, run back to start position
Stage 4: run 80 meters, do 50 burpies, run back to start position
There were 2 teams competing, 10 poolees per team. Thankfully our team won so we didn't have to do extra PT. It was really difficult and tiring, but totally worth getting through it, one kid did happen to throw up though during the burpies, lol.

JWG
08-09-09, 10:22 AM
On Wednesdays we do pull ups, take a USMC knowledge test, then we usually end up playing football. After we do a 1 mile cadence run.

For real PT me and a couple other poolees meet at 1000 every morning during the week and do pullups, situps and running. Most of our pool isn't motivated at all so it's usually 5-7 guys (out of 40).

I'm sorry to hear that. It's GREAT that you and the fellow poolee's who meet on their own do that, though. Show's a remarkable amount of COMMITMENT. Have you tried talking to one or all / main recruiter(s) about having more official yet optional (but highly encouraged and pushed) pool functions.

We have one every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday where a recruiter or Marine on RA will run a PT session at the local park. Do IST's, workouts, whatever you can think of. Has been a great success at my RSS.

Cressler
08-09-09, 10:29 AM
Talk to the boss of the office i don't know if that is a GySgt. for you or a SSgt. but talk to them ask if you guys could do a little more work on poolee days because you don't think your getting as much done as you can if they totally blow you off or ignored you when you see there boss....probably a MSgt. or SgtMaj. or anyone higher ranking then them talk to them and explain the situation.

We just had interviews and one of the questions was do you think your recruiters are doing a good job of getting you ready for bootcamp or do you think what they do could use improvement

Rember if you do go over there head do so respectfully

KGardner
08-09-09, 10:44 AM
At my RSS we have a mandatory pool function on the second Saturday
of the month and optional PT every morning with your recruiter.

Dist Expert 26
08-09-09, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. It's GREAT that you and the fellow poolee's who meet on their own do that, though. Show's a remarkable amount of COMMITMENT. Have you tried talking to one or all / main recruiter(s) about having more official yet optional (but highly encouraged and pushed) pool functions.

We have one every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday where a recruiter or Marine on RA will run a PT session at the local park. Do IST's, workouts, whatever you can think of. Has been a great success at my RSS.

Our GySgt was running it for a while, but he had to move his office so he can't make it very often. He pushes it, but most of these kids just don't care enough to get out of bed early. Some of them really need it too.

Those of us that do show up are seeing marked improvements in our ISTs.

Hartford
08-09-09, 03:44 PM
Our RSS went to the beach yesterday and ran on the sand after some warmup PT exercises. On the way back they had us run in the water because Marines are "amphibious"....bleh that sucked hah. My shoes felt like they were 3+ pounds each. Oh and I got sunburned. But after the run we had burgers/hotdogs which were good so it wasn't all bad.

Capital M
08-09-09, 03:52 PM
On the way back they had us run in the water because Marines are "amphibious".

I love the dark humor involved in training recruits. Can't get enough of it

SkMike
08-09-09, 05:54 PM
Theres a DEP book?

Hartford
08-09-09, 05:58 PM
Theres a DEP book?
When Poolee's enter the DEP they're supposed to receive a tin with the EGA emblem on it. Inside there's a PT Guidebook, book of knowledge, a DVD, two "United States Marine Corps" stickers and one "Proud Parent Of A Marine" sticker.

If you did not receive it ask your recruiter it has some good information in it such as rank structure, General Orders, Marine Corps birthday, etc.

Hartford
08-09-09, 06:18 PM
I love the dark humor involved in training recruits. Can't get enough of it
Hah...some people didn't find it as fun as you or I, mostly the short/female Poolees. We had about 3-4 people get smacked on their rear by the waves. :D Right as we were finishing the run I was going along smoothly then all of a sudden there was a hole in the sand...needless to say I fell...didn't get hurt though so all good.

Cressler
08-09-09, 06:34 PM
yeah if you didn't get it you should ask your recruiter about the "Welcome Aboard" package it has all that stuff in it

Enrique2010
08-16-09, 10:52 PM
some people have jobs....fortunately, i work at a gym ;)

thekevo
08-17-09, 11:07 AM
My RSS just got back from Parris Island a few days ago. We went to watch a graduation and tour the island. We get to meet an SDI and even drill in the empty barracks. **** gets real REALLY fast when you have a man who exudes absolute power screaming in your face. My voice is still hoarse from that day. He took us into the gas chamber, we got to see the rappelling tower and lots of other things. Was an incredible experience

Cressler
08-17-09, 11:19 AM
My Rss is taking a trip down to Quantico to tour the base and go to the museum and stuff next month sometime

Gallic Gun
08-24-09, 02:16 PM
My recruiter said we were going down to Albany, GA to do some "fun stuff" for our next one out at the logistics base. That's 2 weeks away and I'm looking forward to it.

Our last one, I got up at 0600 in order to be at the office at 0700. We just did an IST and basically a Moment of Truth with the whole RSS and the neighboring RSS. I ran a personal best of 12:30 in the 1.5 (Previous best was a 12:55). Did 8 pullups, which is terrible considering I did 12 the last time. I still need to really work on my crunches. I only got 62. I think I can get at least 75 now. I need to count again before the next IST.

PooleeFiechter
09-07-09, 01:58 AM
My RSS PTs Mon-Thur. Don't feel putting down the routine again as I just did it on another thread. There are only twenty poolees at our RSS and about 15 of us come. We all met each other in there and we hang out and party outside of the office. Our recruiter told us that we are such a tight group, that if he were to get a call from the police dpt. that all of us would be in jail together.

JCampbell
09-09-09, 11:12 PM
Four local RSS's worth of poolees completed the Mather Mud Run here in Sacramento, CA for the latest pool function. As a special surprise, the Sergeant Major in charge brought up three Drill...

LJ27
09-10-09, 09:54 AM
PT Tues. and Thurs. Theres a poolee function every 2nd saturday I believe. This would be my first and as far as I know we're just doing an IST.

McManus15
09-10-09, 11:01 PM
Today at PT we played the Navy in football. Blood bath full of seamen.
Wait, that sounds disgusting...

Hartford
09-10-09, 11:16 PM
Hah...dodgeball that could be fun...going to recommend that on Saturday for next time.

ZombieWolf
09-11-09, 11:56 AM
We were supposed to play Laser Tag this saturday, but it was canceled

We're doing an IST instead :(

Endurance89
09-11-09, 06:27 PM
We do just about anything from IST to 5 mile runs in the ran.

One of the most notable times was yesterday when we had a Lance Corporal just graduated from Recon School come and give us a PT. He worked us harder than the recruiters! :D

dribbler
09-11-09, 11:12 PM
PT every wednesday. sometimes we run, sometimes we do combat conditioning, or combat fitness test. if its too hot we play football or soccer.

matter of fact, SSgt. Nichols from Ears Open Eyeballs Click has been PTing with us. very motivating.