PDA

View Full Version : marine reserve

Moto1989
07-27-09, 08:05 PM
My original ship date is 20091214, infantry, active duty. I want to leave early like now but there isnt any spots open. Today My recruiter told me a spot opened up. I had the option of leaving as early as next week but under one condition, I would have to serve for 6 years in Marine reserve, and I get a $20,000 sign in bonus. It is most certainly not about the money, but its a quicker opportunity to become an Marine and boy am I excited about that. My questions are when do i get the bonus, does the Marine Reserve pay for college, and can I switch to active duty after some period of time (under what or any circumstances). I would really appreciate it if somone helped me out. sorry I forgot to capitalize Marine in the title

sbombard15
07-27-09, 09:26 PM
My original ship date is 20091214, infantry, active duty. I want to leave early like now but there isnt any spots open. Today My recruiter told me a spot opened up. I had the option of leaving as early as next week but under one condition, I would have to serve for 6 years in Marine reserve, and I get a $20,000 sign in bonus. It is most certainly not about the money, but its a quicker opportunity to become an Marine and boy am I excited about that. My questions are when do i get the bonus, does the Marine Reserve pay for college, and can I switch to active duty after some period of time (under what or any circumstances). I would really appreciate it if somone helped me out. sorry I forgot to capitalize Marine in the title

When I talked to a recruiter I planed on going reserves through college then switching to active. I am now going active because with the Corps being so full it is very hard to switch from reserve to active. Also when you switch they might put you in whatever mos they want to put you. As far as the bonus goes 20,000 sounds great, but in a lump sum. The way they would pay out that bonus is you would get 5,000 out of boot camp, 5,000 half way through your enlistment then the rest of the 10,000 when your enlistment is done. Now that may sound ok BUT there is also a 33% tax taken out of each of those. Yes the Marine Corps dose pay for college while in reserves, but they also pay for it on active duty. You can take college courses on base and earn a degree if you go active. A big part of why I chose active over reserves is I hate school and I want to take some time off and mature a bit before starting college while on active duty. You should think long term instead of grabbing a reserves spot to earn the title sooner. 6 years is a long time and college is only 4 any way so if they didt let you switch to active have you thought of what to do those remaining two years? Hope this helps.

MarinesFTW
07-28-09, 09:12 AM
According to my recruiter the money you get for college in the reserves is ****. In active duty you get almost 100% paid for, but in the reserves its a fraction of that. I would just rather stay active, and not drill once a month.

sbombard15
07-28-09, 09:14 AM
According to my recruiter the money you get for college in the reserves is ****. In active duty you get almost 100% paid for, but in the reserves its a fraction of that. I would just rather stay active, and not drill once a month.

Yes, while in reserves you get "tuition assistance". It helps but not alot.

MarinesFTW
07-28-09, 09:15 AM
Yeah, thats what im getting at.

duarte
07-28-09, 05:07 PM
Well it depends. If you qualify, you can get an NROTC scholarship, that would pay for all college and once you are done, you would be an active duty Marine Officer.

MarinesFTW
07-28-09, 11:19 PM
Duarte, you go on NROTC and then go to OCS and if your selected you can choose for a commission. But isn't it if you dont make it, or you dont go for it, you have to pay it ALL back?

duarte
07-29-09, 09:34 AM
I'm not a 100% sure but it seems right.. I will ask my SSgt. today and will fill you in on this.

sbombard15
07-29-09, 05:27 PM
NROTC is also a VERY hard program to get accepted in to.