PDA

View Full Version : Today I turned down a shot at Boot Camp

duarte
07-20-09, 11:08 PM
It went down like this, I got a call from my recruiter asking me If I wanted to go to Boot Camp tomorrow. I was like Hell Yeah. Went to the RS and was informed that I would have to go on Open Contract. I was like no. And hopefully I did the right thing. I guess I will never know. But she said that maybe they can find a way to still send me on Wednesday, but have me keep my original MOS or enlistment option. So I will keep you guys posted on whats up.. But for now I guess I'm looking to see what you guys would have done, but be honest, no offense taken I promise. If you think I messed up let me know. Im stressed:sick:.

Kreegz
07-20-09, 11:21 PM
Not a chance in hell, I spent too much time securing my mos, you couldn't convince me to give it up for anything.

ramos360
07-20-09, 11:23 PM
I agree. No chance in hell would I have gone. I wouldn't want to be stuck doing a job that I really wouldn't want to be doing. If anything you lost nothing you know.

sbombard15
07-20-09, 11:46 PM
Four years is a long time and doing something you hate for four years makes it alot longer. As hard as it would be I would wait another year if I had to in order to keep my mos. In my opinion you made the best choice possible.

ramos360
07-21-09, 12:06 AM
Four years is a long time and doing something you hate for four years makes it alot longer. As hard as it would be I would wait another year if I had to in order to keep my mos. In my opinion you made the best choice possible.

But you never know. He could put in for a LAT move in two years. Whether it gets passed on or turned away thats out of his hands.

martinj
07-21-09, 12:35 AM
I agree. No chance in hell would I have gone. I wouldn't want to be stuck doing a job that I really wouldn't want to be doing. If anything you lost nothing you know.
Well put Ramos. Duarte you made the right choice.

sbombard15
07-21-09, 12:40 AM
But you never know. He could put in for a LAT move in two years. Whether it gets passed on or turned away thats out of his hands.

True but with the Corps being so full and a slim chance of lat moving anyway I would never just take a chance. Two years is also a long time, its half of high school to put it in perspective.

Exsoulja
07-21-09, 01:33 AM
You did the right thing, no way in hell would I go open contract. It's 4 or 5 years of your life, you need to do something you at least know you have the option of enjoying while in.

derikdrock1989
07-21-09, 08:57 AM
You made the right decision. Take my situation for example. I enlisted into the DEP May 5th and my ship date is Jan 4th 2010. I been going to every PT and all the IST i could possibly go to. I just got told today that since my IST is so good and I'm so motivated that they can probably fit me in to ship out in either Aug or Sept, but no promises of course. Things always happen for a reason.

cammedNslammed
07-21-09, 08:57 AM
Not a chance in hell, I spent too much time securing my mos, you couldn't convince me to give it up for anything.
+1 I waited a good while for my mos to get locked in for me. No way id give that up to go a little sooner.

duarte
07-21-09, 09:33 AM
GOD I feel a lot better now... ha ha ha i thought i had messed up big time.. I guess I'm not going until my original ship date, but that's cool I get to keep my MOS.

MattNC
07-21-09, 09:46 AM
Your first decision is usually the right one. Don't second guess yourself; support your decision. Like others have said above, 4 years is a long time. I think you made the best choice for yourself in that situation.

sbombard15
07-21-09, 11:32 AM
Look at the bright side, now you have more time to prepare.

martinj
07-21-09, 11:37 AM
Look at the bright side, now you have more time to prepare.
That's the way I had to think about it when my ship date got pushed back a moth

JWG
07-21-09, 12:44 PM
The title of Marine is enough for me. They will tell me to do what they need anyways, the job is no different. You may be a computer technician, but if they need something else, you will do it. Even if your "official MOS" is something else. There are plenty of people who would give anything just to go to the Yellow Footprints that were medically disqualified or messed up (criminally, etc). Don't take this for granted, no matter the job.. do it with Marine pride. It's all an essential gear in the Corps.

duarte
07-21-09, 12:47 PM
yeah you are right.. lol maybe spend more time with the people i care about you know?

JWG
07-21-09, 12:54 PM
Definitely, aside from preparing to ship hard core.. spend time with friends and family you love and care about. Live it up while we're not active duty and giving ourselves to protect them and preserve this countries freedoms (even if they're not always appreciated, we did our share and will look out for them anyways). Get some.

martinj
07-21-09, 01:30 PM
Ya but its not like it was go today and not get the job or not go at all. He had a choice to either wait a couple of months and most likely get the job he wants, or go now and do whatever job is...

Hartford
07-21-09, 02:16 PM
I would have done the same thing and I have. My recruiters kept telling me if I did a certain MOS Field, I believe it was Aviation or Electronics technician that I could ship that week because a poolee backed out who had that. However I knew I did not want those MOS and I was not physically fit enough yet. I barely pass the running portion of the IST and that is unacceptable. My cardio is horrible and I'd get torn apart at boot camp if I left now. I'm glad I have until January to prepare myself physically.

sbombard15
07-21-09, 03:20 PM
:thumbup:

JWG
07-21-09, 04:19 PM
I'm not putting myself above anybody. I'm speaking in GENERAL, that we need to focus on being thankful for our ship date and chance at being a Marine rather than if we end up not getting our "desired" job. I don't blame him for turning down a shot at going early, just reminded me that we're lucky to even have a shot at being a Marine, thus my post. Not to bash him for turning it down.. chill out.

I'm open contract already.. and I never put criminals them in the same class. I merely said they're both, unfortunately, not able to even have a ship date like us. We need to be extremely thankful for that alone! The whole point of my original post. Don't disect it and find something I said and make it personal, please. Christ..

martinj
07-21-09, 04:29 PM
How do you know he isn't fvcking thankful? Im fvcking tired of all your bullsh!t. God I wish I was going to boot the same week as you.

duarte
07-21-09, 04:42 PM
Okay be cool gentlemen, there is no need for this. We don't need to get in trouble about this now do we. The way I see it open contract doesn't sound like a good idea. We all want to be Marines, yes, but cleaning port-o-toilets for 4-5 years is not exactly what we have in mind. Yes that is worst case scenario, and doesn't always happen like that, but why take the chances. Remember is 4-5 years of your life, even Marines will agree that the Marine Corps is what you make of it, and poop castles from nasty port-o-toilets should not be what you make from it. So just cool it, I'm sure everyone is thankful for this chance that we got going on.

MarinesFTW
07-21-09, 04:52 PM
How do you know he isn't fvcking thankful? Im fvcking tired of all your bullsh!t. God I wish I was going to boot the same week as you.

Let's try and make yourself look more immature next post? Your freaking out about one sentence, which in fact, is a good post. You took his words, twisted them to your liking, then freaked out about it. He never said anything about him not being thankful and in fact JWG has a good point. We should be thankful we got a ship date, there are other men and women who were/are denied the ability to serve there country. There is no need for this, and it should stop right here right now.

I vote this to be the LAST post on this subject, start anew? But, if you want to stay angry about something so small and to keep freaking out about it, take it to pm, we dont need that kind of stuff around here. Make yourself look perfessional.

MotivatedIzzy
07-22-09, 07:06 PM
I'm not putting myself above anybody. I'm speaking in GENERAL, that we need to focus on being thankful for our ship date and chance at being a Marine rather than if we end up not getting our "desired" job. I don't blame him for turning down a shot at going early, just reminded me that we're lucky to even have a shot at being a Marine, thus my post. Not to bash him for turning it down.. chill out.

I'm open contract already.. and I never put criminals them in the same class. I merely said they're both, unfortunately, not able to even have a ship date like us. We need to be extremely thankful for that alone! The whole point of my original post. Don't disect it and find something I said and make it personal, please. Christ..

Amen Brother. I'm so grateful to be an American and actually have the chance to become a United States Marine, Its a dream one that i never wanna wake up from.