PDA

View Full Version : Comic goes from Marine Corps to mic stand

thedrifter
07-17-09, 10:01 AM
Comic goes from Marine Corps to mic stand

July 16, 2009

By DAN PEARSON Contributor

Former Marine Rob Riggle is bringing Operation Make Chicago Laugh to the Zanies Comedy Nightclubs next week with an appearance in Vernon Hills on Saturday, July 25.

At 6 feet, 3 inches tall, expect Riggle, a "Saturday Night Live" veteran who left his position as a correspondent for "The Daily Show" in December, to be a commanding presence on stage.

Riggle is a Kentucky native who was raised in Kansas. He currently holds the rank of major in the Marine Corps Reserve. He has served in Liberia, Kosovo and Afghanistan as a Public Information Officer deployed with command elements. His current not-so-secret mission is to make local audiences roll on the floor.

"Since junior high, I have always had a thing for comedy," said Riggle who was voted "most humorous" in his high school senior class.

Even though Riggle once tossed a guy from Chicago off a New York City tour bus for being "elitist" during a "Daily Show" sketch, our town holds a special place in his heart.

"I was desperate to go to Second City and study in Chicago," confessed Riggle who will perform at Zanies in Chicago on July 23 and in St. Charles on July 24.

"That's the reason I left flight school when I was in the Marine Corps. I was about to get my wings and I knew if I got my wings, that would be my life. But I felt I had to try to do comedy or I would always regret it. That was my dream but the Marines had other plans for me."

Riggle had moved his things from the base in Corpus Christi to Chicago when he was informed if he wasn't going to fly he had to fulfill his ground contract and do three more years.

He completed that tour of duty and was about to go to Chicago again when the Marines asked what would it take for him to stay in. He said a post in either Los Angeles or New York would be worth considering -- in order to close to comedy outlets. The next morning he received orders to report to the Public Affairs Office in Manhattan.

"When I got to New York City, the very first thing I tried was stand-up. I didn't know what I was doing, I just knew I wanted to do it. I took a class in stand-up and the instructor said you have to do three jokes per minute with set up and punch-line."

Discouraged Riggle said he couldn't find his comic voice and felt he might have made a huge mistake until he saw a long form improv revue show at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater.

"So during the day I did Marines and at night I studied and performed with the Upright Citizens Brigade. I did that for the next seven years."

Riggle said the Marines didn't know anything about his secret life as a comedian and actor.

"I didn't have to tell anybody. I was a captain at the time and my evenings were my own. Other people had families and I had comedy."

Riggle describes his approach to stand-up as storytelling. He said his 19 year military career and his two and a half years as a political correspondent on the "Daily Show" do not factor into his current stage persona.

"I have other things to talk about but I don't want to give it away," he said.

While Riggle often subjected his interview subjects on "The Daily Show" to intense verbal and physical pressure, he said audience intimidation is not part of his stand-up routine. But he doesn't have a problem with people expecting his bull-in-the-china-shop image.

"My favorite game to play in comedy has always has been 'arrogant ignorance,'" he said. "There are elements of that in the stand-up, but we go all over the place."
Rob Riggle

7 and 9:30 p.m. July 25 at Zanies Comedy Nightclub, 230 Hawthorn Village Commons, Vernon Hills. $25 plus a two drink/food minimum. (847) 549-6030 or www.zanies.com or www.robriggle.com

Ellie