PDA

View Full Version : Global War on Terrorism Awards...

psyclopsus
07-16-09, 01:20 AM
I was hoping I could get some clarification...I believe I rate both the GWOT-Service and GWOT-Expeditionary Medals, according to the award documentation, but I only have one of them (Service Medal) on my DD-214.

The Expeditionary Medal says "awarded for approved operations in the following areas..." Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is one of those areas listed. I deployed to Gitmo for about 6 months in spring of 2002 for Enduring Freedom (I think it was.) I helped build and set-up Camp X-Ray for all the Afghanistan detainees.

The Service Medal says "awarded for service in support...Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom..etc" I deployed to Kuwait from December 2002 to June of 2003 in direct support of Iraqi Freedom.

Both awards state that "both awards (Expeditionary & Service) may NOT be issued for the same period of service." Guantanamo in 2002, Kuwait in 2003, 2 different periods of service, and 2 different operations.

So far as I can see I rate both awards, either way you slice it. I got out in 2003 and I fully understand admin not being all too concerned with awards for a Marine in the IRR.

Am I correct in the way I'm understanding this? I just want to be certain before I make an azz out of myself trying to get it squared away.

Achped
07-17-09, 11:57 PM
You rate the service for simply being in the fleet for a period of 1 month, 3 months, whatever. There's a thread in here, after 9/11/01.

The GWOT expeditionary you most definitely rate, if not rating two, one for each deployment.

DIBLO7
07-18-09, 01:46 AM
First, you nor anyone else in the Marine Corps can have more than one GWOTEM. MARADMIN 129/04 gives the guidance on eligibility for the GWOTEM. Battle stars are authorized for certain individuals that meet a whole heap of requirements. Its in that MARADMIN, paragraph 8. Battle stars are in 8.A.

Second, I looked through the MARADMIN's for Gitmo being eligible for the GWOTEM and didn't see it; however, I may have missed it.

Finally, without knowing your exact dates of your deployment, it looks like you would rate the GWOTSM, and either the GWOTEM or the ICM (Iraqi Campaign Medal). The guidance for the ICM is in MARADMIN 172/05. If I did in fact miss the Gitmo eligiblity in a subsequent MARADMIN then you might be eligible for the GWOTEM from being at Gitmo, then the ICM for your Iraq time. The GWOTSM you basically get for being alive in a non student status for 30 days or more.

Hope that clarifies things, if I had exact dates of when you were where I could be more specific.

psyclopsus
07-18-09, 08:20 PM
Thanks DIBLO7, I think you answered my question and got me headed in the right direction. I never actually crossed the border into Iraq, so I don't think I rate the ICM. I did however find the MARADMIN that verifies Gitmo as eligible for the GWOTEM.

MARADMIN 654/08

It lists off areas of eligibility and the dates they were deemed eligible. Guantanamo Bay Cuba is listed for OEF and OIF and says this took effect 7/14/2005. I can't find the original message from that time frame that states this, could it be a DOD Directive or a SECNAV instead of MARADMIN? I'm usually very good at going through all the pubs and finding this stuff, but no luck on this one.

DIBLO7
07-19-09, 05:30 PM
I don't know what the original one was either, but with MARADMIN 654/08 the original one (129/04), and a copy of your orders showing you were there, you could take them to your admin section and get your GWOTEM ran.

My understanding of the effect date is that was the day they were approved, not the date of which you would of had to have been there. In the MARADMIN you pulled at the end of paragraph 1 it states that the eligibility criteria remains the same as reference A and B (reference A is MARADMIN 129/04), so if you were there between 11 September 01 and whenever the shut off date was (which is after you got out) you should rate it.

Petz
07-19-09, 05:44 PM
I can explain this for you... you got the gwotem for gitmo... as you say it's authorized... the ICM is for certain periods... as a thread I posted in the VA or uniform U section states... you would rate two stars on your ICM from those two periods... build-up phase and the invasion...

that should fix things for you.