PDA

View Full Version : How do people feel about Marine base in Hawaii

marinewife12107
07-14-09, 04:27 PM
My husband was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years and loved every minute of it. He reenlisted when we got married in 2007 and we decided to come to Beaufort, SC. Its nice (sometimes) don't get me wrong but of course we are wanting to see more. He is trying to convince me to go to Hawaii and I am all for it. I am just wondering how other spouces and Marines feel about Hawaii. We have a 1 year old little girl and my mother lives with us. If i could get some responses it would be healpful.

Nicole Prince

usmcdanno
07-17-09, 02:19 PM
Hawaii is fantastic. Being in your situation, you'll want to make sure base housing is available immediately as the economy is kind of rough to live on. Housing is very expensive if you don't live on base. My wife had to drag me to the plane to leave there. I loved it, she didn't care that much for it. We were broke all the time as I was a LCpl/Cpl and we lived out in town. Didn't even have furniture, we sat on the floor. Boy those were the days!!

boomer56328
07-17-09, 03:00 PM
Jeez Gunny, you could got her a folding chair or something. What's wrong with you!! No wonder she dragged your ass to the plane. :)
Don't know much about Hawaii other than we stopped there a once on WestPac. Great place to visit though.

Hawaii is fantastic. Being in your situation, you'll want to make sure base housing is available immediately as the economy is kind of rough to live on. Housing is very expensive if you don't live on base. My wife had to drag me to the plane to leave there. I loved it, she didn't care that much for it. We were broke all the time as I was a LCpl/Cpl and we lived out in town. Didn't even have furniture, we sat on the floor. Boy those were the days!!

usmcdanno
07-17-09, 04:15 PM
No doubt boomer! I actually did buy a waterbed and a rocking chair after a while and we had a black and white 8" tv. I'm serious, man things were tough being so young, newly married and broke. Our rent was $1000.00+/mo (in 1983), which the Corps paid most of. It paid off for my little wife in the end though, lol. She sure was a trooper!

thewookie
07-17-09, 05:34 PM
Loved every minute of it, but I wish I was on the Island more then I was away - but my uncle lives on the Big Island now, so I'll be over there hanging ten for good real soon....

redman1
07-17-09, 10:44 PM
I was there in 70 and loved it. Was expensive and we lived off base but I don't remember how much it was. I was at Camp Smith. Everyone there got along and was a great place. Left there for Nam what a difference.
Semper Fi Redman1

marinewife12107
07-18-09, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys to my replys to my post.