PDA

View Full Version : What do you think will be your hardest challenge in Boot Camp?

SkMike
07-06-09, 03:12 PM
When you go to Boot Camp, what are you expecting to be your hardest challenge?

I think the biggest thing for me will be getting used to the sleep schedule of waking up before the crack of dawn.
And I'm curious to see how I cope with having a Drill Instructor yelling in my face all day.

What about you all?

Gunner614
07-06-09, 03:57 PM
I thnk I'll have the hardest time doing everyhing as quickly as possible, and getting used to the utter lack of privacy. The only thing I am really worried about though is getting hurt or sick or something and getting sent to MRP.

Eldridge0311
07-06-09, 04:24 PM
The only thing I am worried about is enjoying Bootcamp to much :D

ha on a lighter note... im worried about the sand fleas :/

SeanRyan32
07-06-09, 05:08 PM
Running.

JJA1990
07-06-09, 05:26 PM
Rappeling

Gunner614
07-06-09, 05:33 PM
Rappeling

You should go rock climbing, it will get rid of your fear of rappeling pretty quick.

sbombard15
07-06-09, 05:43 PM
Yea i am worried i might get sick or hurt. I wouldt want to get half way through then be recycled into a new platoon.

duarte
07-06-09, 05:57 PM
Definitely the haircuts. No disrespect intended, but I'm concerned about the haircuts. Those boot High N' Tights look mighty weird on some folks like me ha ha

No seriously, I'm sure there will be a lot of challenges, but I rather not think about them, that way I don't have a pre-misconception about boot camp. I don't like asking questions about it, I feel like the less I know the better off I will be because I won't have a set standard of what to expect from myself you know?

SkMike
07-06-09, 06:12 PM
Definitely the haircuts. No disrespect intended, but I'm concerned about the haircuts. Those boot High N' Tights look mighty weird on some folks like me ha ha

No seriously, I'm sure there will be a lot of challenges, but I rather not think about them, that way I don't have a pre-misconception about boot camp. I don't like asking questions about it, I feel like the less I know the better off I will be because I won't have a set standard of what to expect from myself you know?

I see where your coming from, very ballsy!
I myself, have read so much about how Boot is gonna be... Id rather know what im in for.

Like some of you have mentioned, Getting sick is something in the back of my mind but theres nothing you can really do to prepare against that. =\

Cressler
07-06-09, 08:07 PM
swimming for me i'm a good swimmer but i can't thread water well and thats gonna be my hardest part.

oh and getting use to bein in the shower and stuff with everyone but i'm sure i'll get over that real quick...

skmike nice MOS

JWG
07-06-09, 08:33 PM
There is no preparation besides PT/Run, and know General Orders / Marine Corps knowledge. The rest is endurance.. and Speed, Volume, Intensity. There will always be curve balls. It's all about learning to deal with chaos and working proficiently, fast, and effectively in it to the best of your ability as TEAM.

boblasek
07-06-09, 09:44 PM
Aviation mechanic popular? For me i think just the initial shock. After that I will be fine.

Cressler
07-06-09, 09:49 PM
your the first two 6xxx guys i've seen on here

ramos360
07-06-09, 10:02 PM
I believe my hardest challenge will be the pain daily growing on top of the previous day's pain. Something I will get used to but besides that the next challenge might be the running since I heard there is less oxygen down there. =D. But, regardless of the struggles we might encounter if we put out 110% all the time and everyday we shall come out with a new title belonging to the brotherhood. Stay motivated.

Gerken
07-06-09, 10:14 PM
My biggest concern is either getting hurt or sick, and I'm pretty happy that I'm going to SD and don't have to worry about the sand fleas. Oh and my MOS is 6xxx also(Aviation Electrician).

cammedNslammed
07-06-09, 10:15 PM
I think the biggest challenge for me will be mosquitos/sand fleas, and the really long road marches.

Definitely looking forward to the swimming and gas chamber portion. Oh and who could forget about the rifle range!!!

HammerOfJustice
07-06-09, 11:13 PM
I imagine the biggest challenge for me will be running. More concerned with endurance than speed, but in the end I'm sure it'll all work out. I'm not going to quit, and they're not going to quit on me.

Perkins91
07-06-09, 11:43 PM
The only thing I am really worried about is my running.

Cressler
07-06-09, 11:47 PM
see i'm not worried about running it's the easiest thing to train

Perkins91
07-06-09, 11:52 PM
Pull ups were so much easier to train than running for me.

Cressler
07-06-09, 11:54 PM
i'm horrible with pull ups though i guess i have gotten better i got 2 at meps i can get 4 now and it's only been bout 2 weeks

SkMike
07-06-09, 11:54 PM
see i'm not worried about running it's the easiest thing to train

Everyone has their own battles to deal with.

yoitsfrank
07-07-09, 12:23 AM
My biggest concern is either getting hurt or sick, and I'm pretty happy that I'm going to SD and don't have to worry about the sand fleas. Oh and my MOS is 6xxx also(Aviation Electrician).

haha same here!

fisch
07-07-09, 04:07 PM
my hardest will probably be dealing with the sleep schedule, but i guess after a long day i wont have any problem falling asleep

CrimsonTrunk
07-07-09, 04:38 PM
Pullups for me. My running is super and my situps are well above the min.

Kurokawa
07-07-09, 08:04 PM
hard to say. Really concerned over my running, but I've been working on it and it's getting better. Part of me is concerned a lot about the test at the end of all the general knowledge stuff.

MarinesFTW
07-07-09, 09:01 PM

There seem's to be quite a few of us around. Might have to tick the Gunny off and change to 03XX, or wait till he's gone. Have a gunny haze me or a SSgt. SSGT PLEASE!

IceCold2410
07-07-09, 11:43 PM
My only concern right now is swimming. I can swim alright now, just enough to keep myself above the water...

JWG
07-08-09, 12:08 AM
My only concern right now is swimming. I can swim alright now, just enough to keep myself above the water...

Go to a local pool and swim, swim, swim. Get comfortable with it, bro. You'll appreciate it when Swim Qual comes around. :thumbup::beer:

Books
07-08-09, 12:32 AM
I don't think boot is going to be as bad as I think it is. I am mostly concerned about the physical stress, as I am skimming the minimum standards on the IST and I'm completely burnt out after more than an hour of exercise. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it.

yoitsfrank
07-08-09, 01:47 AM
My hardest challenge would be not cracking up everytime I get yelled at. I'm not a serious person. :D

boblasek
07-08-09, 12:30 PM
^^^^^^^^ Ha i hear ya. Although I get serious when needs be.

SeanRyan32
07-08-09, 03:39 PM
haha I don't. I'll just remember something slightly funny from the day before and bust out laughing. Not to mention I find it funny when people get in my face. :)

thezero
07-08-09, 07:22 PM

Your blind then. I am 60XX,61XX,62XX. I have just not been on the forums lately due to work and other stuff ;)

OT - Right now the physical part will be good. And once I can get in some time to run that will be no prob. (My run time has increased because of work/working out/enjoying my last summer as a civilian). I have increased crunches to 116 and my pull ups are up to 15 "real grip" (palms out) last I tried I am thinking I can get 16-17.

Memorizing the General Orders and such is my current task, along with finding a good work out regiment. I just have to put 30 minutes aside at night to study.

Swimming is the worse thing for me. I can swim, not well but I can get from point A to point B. Tread water is like asking me to walk on water, and I struggle to float, my body has a tendency to sink. (My dad can't swim, float, or anything. He went in when the Swim Qual wasn't active. :scared:)

I agree, trying not to laugh while getting yelled at will take some time to get used to. I am suprised no one has said anything about missing friends, family, women, only those that your close to and that matter.

Everything takes time getting adjusted to, I just hope I don't take to much time to get re-adjusted. I have two and half months to prepare. So just trying to get my perfect score (IST/PFT) will really bother me but it's not a big big challenge like swimming :p

MotivatedIzzy
07-09-09, 10:07 AM
haha I don't. I'll just remember something slightly funny from the day before and bust out laughing. Not to mention I find it funny when people get in my face. :)
haha.. I want to be in your platoon...:evilgrin:

pooleeDavis
07-09-09, 11:18 AM
Im only worried about my runing I hate it but im pushing past that

Books
07-09-09, 12:45 PM
I think most of us are not aware of the fact that boot camp is a 24/7 gig, and that there is no end-of-the-day to look forward to. I don't know how many of you had the opportunity to go to your RS's all-hands overnight function with the drill instructors, but if you did, I bet you were wondering when that little taste was going to end when drilling turned into six, seven, and then eight hours. For one day. And then, if you remember, you didn't even get to go to sleep because you still got messed with. I know in boot the drill instructors will mostly leave you alone during lights out, but even then you aren't going to be out of it. You'll dream about it. People will be calling cadence in their sleep. You'll be woken up for firewatch. Basically, there is no freaking end until the time you graduate. This simple fact, that it is an all-day, everyday taxation, is what most returning Marines to my RSS say is the most difficult part to cope with.

blumpkin
07-09-09, 01:11 PM
Endurance running will be the hardest for me as I smoke and so does the rest of the pool im in.

Cressler
07-09-09, 01:42 PM
haha i'm glad i dont smoke and never have lol but i do still need to work on my run

boblasek
07-09-09, 01:53 PM
I quit smoking just to train for this. Hopefully i won't get back into the habit when i hit my squadron.

Gunner614
07-09-09, 03:03 PM
I think most of us are not aware of the fact that boot camp is a 24/7 gig, and that there is no end-of-the-day to look forward to. I don't know how many of you had the opportunity to go to your RS's all-hands overnight function with the drill instructors, but if you did, I bet you were wondering when that little taste was going to end when drilling turned into six, seven, and then eight hours. For one day. And then, if you remember, you didn't even get to go to sleep because you still got messed with. I know in boot the drill instructors will mostly leave you alone during lights out, but even then you aren't going to be out of it. You'll dream about it. People will be calling cadence in their sleep. You'll be woken up for firewatch. Basically, there is no freaking end until the time you graduate. This simple fact, that it is an all-day, everyday taxation, is what most returning Marines to my RSS say is the most difficult part to cope with.

Sunday church is something to look forward to.

Gerken
07-09-09, 10:07 PM
Ya I know what you mean, I went through a mini bootcamp back in April, and it was pretty much nonstop, but it was a good experience. Now I have clue as to what to look forward to.

Hartford
07-09-09, 10:57 PM
I'm worried about the running, getting injured (stress fractures are common), the humps and...that's about it. Getting screamed at in the face will be quite the shock I'm sure but that's all mental and can be sucked up during the moment, it's harder to break through physical barriers.

Cressler
07-09-09, 11:56 PM
agreed mentaly just block it out dont let them break you down and make sure you have people from home write to you my one friend is already a Marine and he said letters help alot

PBD
07-10-09, 01:09 PM
Missing the girl back home, knowing that i probably wont see her the rest of my life.

Eldridge0311
07-10-09, 01:13 PM
Missing the girl back home, knowing that i probably wont see her the rest of my life.

I agree with you here man. But if they won't support us then they wernt right for us.

atimmons
07-11-09, 05:02 AM
My hardest challenge will be the sleep schedule. I work 3rd shift up till I ship out in January... At least I have time to get in shape >.<

thezero
07-12-09, 03:01 PM
My hardest challenge will be the sleep schedule. I work 3rd shift up till I ship out in January... At least I have time to get in shape >.<

Quit your job 2-3 weeks before you ship. Re adjust your sleep schedule. If you are smart you can earn enough money and make it last while you spend your final weeks at home spending time with friends, family and getting that last bit of training in.

All in all that makes sense, I have a job that I will be leaving early and I know alot of other poolees that either are doing the same or borrow money because their parents say they shouldn't spend their last summer working, but training and having fun. :iwo:

kc1867
07-12-09, 07:20 PM
Quit your job 2-3 weeks before you ship. Re adjust your sleep schedule. If you are smart you can earn enough money and make it last while you spend your final weeks at home spending time with friends, family and getting that last bit of training in.

All in all that makes sense, I have a job that I will be leaving early and I know alot of other poolees that either are doing the same or borrow money because their parents say they shouldn't spend their last summer working, but training and having fun. :iwo:

Wish my parents said that, my mother expects me to remodel our backyard (mind you its AZ), and hold a job at the same time. That said, my parents and family are all very supportive of my decision, so i guess i can't complain too much.
With that said, I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be the mental aspect of it. It's also going to be quite an experience having the Drill Instructors constantly in your face, etc. Physical challenge is a given for Recruit Training.

SeanRyan32
07-13-09, 01:18 AM
haha.. I want to be in your platoon...:evilgrin:

Yea...here's hoping they don't do group punishment on my platoon for that. :scared: I'll get over that REAL fast, then.

Mirrorman
07-13-09, 10:25 AM
My biggest challenge will definetly be running and swimming.

JWG
07-13-09, 10:28 AM
My biggest challenge will definetly be running and swimming.

Well you got plenty of time to do both. By the time you ship, if you put effort and heart into it, you'll be just fine. Especially if that's your only worry. :thumbup:

Mirrorman
07-13-09, 10:33 AM
Well you got plenty of time to do both. By the time you ship, if you put effort and heart into it, you'll be just fine. Especially if that's your only worry. :thumbup:

Yea, your right, thanks.

Ive also got alot of friends who wanna help get me ready too, so thats good.

JWG
07-13-09, 10:36 AM
Yep, good to go. Always a fellow poolee to get with or a recruiter to run, PT, etc outside of normal pool functions. We have 3 a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) and every second Saturday during the summer, so we're usually good to go. But if you guys don't meet as much, ask to PT and run with them more. I'm sure you'll find one of the Marines or poolees to.

Get some! :thumbup::evilgrin::thumbup:

Mirrorman
07-13-09, 02:26 PM
Yea, we typically to PT the the recruiter every Saturday and on Tuesdays i go running with a fellow poolee.

GC8496
07-13-09, 09:10 PM
Right now getting to PI seems like its going to be that hardest challenge. I've been delayed twice and about to be delayed again, and I'm first in line to ship at my station!

Books
07-14-09, 12:21 AM
agreed mentaly just block it out dont let them break you down

Hahahahahaha... Oh boy, Cressler, that does not sound like a winning strategy for boot camp. It's a bit difficult to block someone out when at the same time you have to pay attention to every machine-gunned sylable they spew to follow orders correctly. And you will be broken down. Hell, I think most of us joined the Marines to be broken down and built back up.

boblasek
07-14-09, 02:27 AM
. Hell, I think most of us joined the Marines to be broken down and built back up.

AMEN! I love this quote now.

JWG
07-14-09, 09:08 AM
God knows my sorry ass needs broken down and built back. Good to go.

johnny623
07-15-09, 06:53 PM
I think the hardest part will be staying safe and healthy. My number one fear is to be medically discharged.

CrimsonTrunk
07-30-09, 08:59 PM
Now that my pull-ups are where they need to be (still working on them) my sit-ups are next for more improvement.

atimmons
07-31-09, 01:35 AM
I'm just afraid I won't be able to keep up with the running. I'm built for running and I can do anything else but I for some obscure reason can't run well. I get stiffened up after a mile or so and then I'm through.

MarinesFTW
07-31-09, 10:43 AM
Hopefully your not hiding something that will lead to it. If you get sick, they just put you in MRP, which sounds like a great time. Breaking something would just suck, but as for me I've never...

Cressler
07-31-09, 03:11 PM
wet feet....i hateee wet feet lol

PooleeHunt
07-31-09, 03:43 PM
I have to agree with medical and wet feet. Medical cause I hate doctors and hospitals, they. Always are around during sh**** times. Wet feet means trench foot and blisters and all sorts of nasty. Gotta keep those feet dry! Good to go!

gonzo4
07-31-09, 04:10 PM
I am obviously like the only female to post on this. The hardest part is gonna be missing home, long hot showers, my dog, and being able to cook for myself. I'm not too worried about the physical stuff I have done humps and all that before not too bad if you stay motivated. Keep that positive attitude and your gold. Remember that it's not so hard that almost everyone fails most people get through it. It's meant to challenge you not kill you.

AmiriKiri
07-31-09, 07:13 PM
I think my hardest challenge will be the running. I need to work on the 3 mile run and I only have 22 more days to do so.

PooleeHunt
08-01-09, 11:39 AM
I think you'll be spending more time in the rainroom than you want to once you are there! Haha!

SeanRyan32
08-01-09, 05:14 PM
I think you'll be spending more time in the rainroom than you want to once you are there! Haha!

Can you please elaborate? I'm kinda confused by this.