PDA

View Full Version : Ambush in Combat Town

thedrifter
07-02-09, 06:06 AM
Ambush in Combat Town
NCOs learn to lead, follow in combat
Pfc. J Nava

CENTRAL TRAINING AREA, Okinawa (July 1, 2009) -- The pale, cloudy sky loomed overhead as a convoy full of Marine corporals trekked through the muddy main road of Combat Town. All seemed normal on the routine convoy until a loud explosion rang out through the silence.

As the smoke from the mock improvised explosive device engulfed the first vehicle in the convoy, shots rang out through Combat Town. The Marines had been ambushed. Quickly, the noncommissioned officers made their way out of the vehicles and applied what they learned about Military Operations in Urban Terrain, by immediately returning fire, clearing buildings and eliminating the enemy.

Marines from Corporals Course 3-09 participated in MOUT training at Combat Town in the Central Training Area, June 17, to hone their skills as both leaders and followers during combat situations.

"Training like this helps you when you go down range," said Cpl. Corey Murphy, an automotive organizational mechanic with Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, and the class commander of Corporals Course 3-09. "It prepares you for combat and helps keep (Marines) alive."

The 58 Marines of Corporals Course 3-09, learned the basic principles of MOUT tactics, including patrolling, squad tactics, entering and clearing enemy positions, convoy operations and communications during live-fire situations. They also used compressed carbon dioxide powered paint ball guns and plenty of paint balls.

"One of the key objectives of this training is to learn how to communicate in combat situations," said Sgt. Timothy Craig, the Corporals Course chief instructor. "It's important for the corporals to see how communication differs in regular training from an actual live-fire situation."

Marines are constantly put into leadership situations, but as Marine NCO's the responsibilities of being a leader may be greater, especially in combat.

"This training has made me feel like I'm better equipped to lead Marines in combat," said Cpl. Donald Fowler, a motor vehicle operator with Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, and native of Memphis, Tenn. "I now know the simple stuff that saves Marines' lives. I feel like I'm ready to go."

The Marines continued their training throughout the day, engaging in large-scale mock fire fights, ambushes against mock insurgents and in battles employing attacker and defender roles.

Training like this is important because it is what will keep the Marine and the Marines to the left and right of them alive during combat, according to Murphy, a Raleigh, N.C., native.

"We train as we fight," said Craig, a St. Louis native. Preparing Marines for that time in combat when they need this sort of experience is what we strive to do, so that as Marines we are always ready.

Ellie