PDA

View Full Version : Fighting overseas

Rarec
06-28-09, 03:31 PM
Where do you think infantry Marines will be a few years from now?? Recent news says we will totally be out of Iraq by 2011. Does anyone think this is true? Will most Marines be going to Afghanistan then? Possible conflict in Nkorea or Iran cause for occupation??
I have looked up to the current generation of Marines alot and have longed to fight by their side. I know any many ways it is great to leave Iraq but at the same time I am mad because I wanted to go and help out, make what the Marines who fought and died there stay. If we leave I believe all of the bad people who have been hiding will just come back out. I don't want to think anyone has died in vain and all the progress will be taken away.
I turn 18 at the beginning of 2010, so by the time the cycle started over and I would ship off it would be well into 2010 and I would probably be done with major training by sometime in 2011.
How do you Marines feel about the occupations going on right now, where do you think we will be in a few years. Feel free to call me stupid for wanting to go overseas.

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 03:58 PM
Why don't you worry more about talking to a Recruiter first......then taking the ASVAB and passing and then going through MEPS and passing.

And as far as fighting goes, no one knows what the future holds.

Rarec
06-28-09, 04:15 PM
Why don't you worry more about talking to a Recruiter first......then taking the ASVAB and passing and then going through MEPS and passing.

And as far as fighting goes, no one knows what the future holds.
How do you know whether or not I have talked to a recruiter and why does it matter. The point in the thread was to ask some questions and have a friendly discussion because I was wondering about Marine's opinion on the matter which would be more informed and have more value than the news media or some random guy on the internet.
Like I said the point in the thread was to have a friendly discussion...I didn't know that that was such a problem. I can assure you I have my priorities straightened out perfectly fine. Why is it a big issue to you? If you didn't want to answer or discuss the actual topic you couldve said so or not responded. I don't see any reason to act so hostile.
The latter part of your post would've done jsut fine without being so confrontational..

Phantom Blooper
06-28-09, 04:22 PM
Rarec,

You need to read the sticky rules in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...

This is not the place on this site for that question as it can be construed as political.....

This has nothing to do with preparing you for boot camp.:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 04:24 PM
Young man, my post was in no way confrontational.
You asked a question and I answered it. IF you have talked to a Recruiter, you should have mentioned it. And in no way, was your question pertaining to anything about "boot camp".
This is a MARINE site and RESPECT MARINES when talking to them. Wannabes and Poolees are just "guests" here.
Now.....when you signed up on this site, you should've read the rules, but if you didn't, here's the link........
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15
Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

and when you're done reading those set of rules, then read these rules.......
Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Rarec
06-28-09, 04:24 PM
Rarec,

You need to read the sticky rules in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...

This is not the place on this site for that question as it can be construed as political.....

This has nothing to do with preparing you for boot camp.:evilgrin:
Oh,it just said "Ask a Marine" and since I can't post anywhere else I thought this was basiclly a place to "ask Marines" and wasn't specific to Boot camp questions. I apologize.

BR34
06-28-09, 05:58 PM
This is a MARINE site and RESPECT MARINES when talking to them. Wannabes and Poolees are just "guests" here.

Ha...yea, it may have been like that a few years ago when I was a poolee and had just joined this site, but it isn't anymore.

Rarec, you wanna know how we feel about the future of war? Go to the poolee hall and ask your fellow wannabes. And boot camp questions or not, watch your damn attitude!

Rarec
06-28-09, 06:18 PM
I still really don't see that. You basiclly said "its none of your business" or that I am not allowed to ask that. It was confrontational in that you denied my right to ask the question. And like I said I apologize for not reading the rules but the description of "Ask a Marine" is ask a Marine questions. I didn't know right away that it pertained specifically the boot camp.
If I am allowed to ask this question I would like to know, where can a "Marine friend" or any non-Marine ask a question or discuss something amongst the Marines on this forum? As I stated because of the topic I value the opinion of Marines but I don't see anywhere to have discussions that don't just deal with being a poolee or about boot camp.
Is there a reason for that?

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 06:35 PM
Look here young man....DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT put words out there that I DID NOT post. You're pi$$ing off the wrong Marine here. :mad:

If you read the rules first, you would've found out what "Ask A Marine" is all about.
As for your question about "not seeing anywhere to have discussions that don't just deal with being a poolee or about boot camp"........it's called PM's (private messaging). The purpose of the "Ask A Marine" forum is to allow those who are aspiring to join the Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarding this career choice.

Rule #7 No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

Rule #8 Expect respect until you disrespect. Marines follow a tradition of mentorship which is the reason why most of us answer questions here. If we perceive a bad attitude in your correspondence with us, you may become familiar with more of our traditions, hostility and belligerence. Don’t go away mad. Just go away. The site administrator will expedite your departure.

Rule Seven the forums are not social a chatroom if you want to speak to a peer in that way do it on PM or by email or in the chatroom!

Fievel
06-28-09, 06:55 PM
Look here young man....DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT put words out there that I DID NOT post. You're pi$$ing off the wrong Marine here. :mad:

If you read the rules first, you would've found out what "Ask A Marine" is all about.
As for your question about "not seeing anywhere to have discussions that don't just deal with being a poolee or about boot camp"........it's called PM's (private messaging). The purpose of the "Ask A Marine" forum is to allow those who are aspiring to join the Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarding this career choice.

Rule #7 No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

Rule #8 Expect respect until you disrespect. Marines follow a tradition of mentorship which is the reason why most of us answer questions here. If we perceive a bad attitude in your correspondence with us, you may become familiar with more of our traditions, hostility and belligerence. Don’t go away mad. Just go away. The site administrator will expedite your departure.

Rule Seven the forums are not social a chatroom if you want to speak to a peer in that way do it on PM or by email or in the chatroom!

WITH A SLASH ... ! :marine:

Rarec
06-28-09, 06:58 PM
See, like that, thats being confrontational. And as it says in the post "basically said" it isn't a quote nor did I say that that is what you said, rather it was the intention and attitude with the post to say **** off and deny me an answer to the question.

I understand the purpose of the Poolee and Ask a Marine sections, but why isn't there a general discussion section that Marine friends and other similar type members can talk in? I understand what you are saying with using PMs but an open discussion isn't the same and I would think it would be better to have a section like that rather than PMing multiple people just because you want an opinion. With that you are sort of bothering someone, with a general discussion no one really has to answer or take part.
I am not trying to **** you off but then again I don't really see why you are getting ****ed off. If I can sit here and try to maturely talk about something why are you getting so angry??

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 07:07 PM
Rules were put in place here on Leatherneck.com by the Admin of this site to be FOLLOWED, not broken.
The general discussion section is in the Wannabes and Pooles section. Marines are not allowed.

Now......your questions have been asked an answered........if you don't like the answers that have been given, oh well. Quit whining......and lose the attitude.

Fievel
06-28-09, 07:08 PM
Where do you think infantry Marines will be a few years from now??

Still kicking ass and taking names.

Recent news says we will totally be out of Iraq by 2011. Does anyone think this is true?

Maybe, who knows?

Will most Marines be going to Afghanistan then? Possible conflict in Nkorea or Iran cause for occupation??

Again, maybe, who knows?

I have looked up to the current generation of Marines alot and have longed to fight by their side. I know any many ways it is great to leave Iraq but at the same time I am mad because I wanted to go and help out, make what the Marines who fought and died there stay.

I would focus on boot camp before you get it into your head that you want to avenge fallen Marines. As for helping the Marines who died, right now you do not have the right to make that statement. It's okay to want to help, but the Marines who died over there do not need you to help their cause. That's all I'm going to say on that right now because that statement really rattled my nerves. :evilgrin:

If we leave I believe all of the bad people who have been hiding will just come back out. I don't want to think anyone has died in vain and all the progress will be taken away.

I assure you, nobody has died in vain. You still have freedom, right?

I turn 18 at the beginning of 2010, so by the time the cycle started over and I would ship off it would be well into 2010 and I would probably be done with major training by sometime in 2011.
How do you Marines feel about the occupations going on right now, where do you think we will be in a few years. Feel free to call me stupid for wanting to go overseas.

Ask me again when you graduate boot camp and I would love to unload the burden of my war onto your ears, when I know you can handle it. Until then, focus on boot camp. That's the first step. Good luck.

Rarec
06-28-09, 07:14 PM
I would focus on boot camp before you get it into your head that you want to avenge fallen Marines. As for helping the Marines who died, right now you do not have the right to make that statement. It's okay to want to help, but the Marines who died over there do not need you to help their cause. That's all I'm going to say on that right now because that statement really rattled my nerves. :evilgrin:
How so? I don't understand how its bad that I don't want to see everything just go away. There are Marines that risked their lives and worked their asses off over there and have made tons and tons of progress. How is it bad to say I don't want to see that taken away? I think it would be a terrible waste to have everything that was accomplished be taken away by leaving when the progress attained could not be sustained. If the country isn't stable enough and falls back to the same point of where it was before the occupation that would be terrible. How can you not agree with that. I just don't see whats wrong with not wanting to mess up what everyone have accomplished.

Rarec
06-28-09, 07:18 PM
Rules were put in place here on Leatherneck.com by the Admin of this site to be FOLLOWED, not broken.
The general discussion section is in the Wannabes and Pooles section. Marines are not allowed.

Now......your questions have been asked an answered........if you don't like the answers that have been given, oh well. Quit whining......and lose the attitude.
I don't understand how you can talk about rules so much and then act like that. For instance 7 and 8 that you cited. I am not crying about anything I am simply asking about something. By the same standard you would be breaking the same rules but I don't believe you are just as I believe I am not. I do believe you are breaking rule 8 though as I never showed any disrespect towards you but you have done nothing but talk down to me this entire time.

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 07:26 PM
Those rules are for Wannabes and Pooles, not Marines. I served my Country!!! :usmc:

Now....either you aks a question that pertains to boot camp or move on. This thread is starting to become political.
Rule Ten there will no political threads or posts of any kind in the recruit forums, you are here to concentrate on the yellow foot steps not politics!

Fievel
06-28-09, 07:32 PM
There are Marines you risked their lives and worked their asses off over there and have made tons and tons of progress.

I wasn't aware of that. I've heard it's kinda hot and sandy over there, too.

If the country isn't stable enough and falls back to the same point of where it was before the occupation that would be terrible. How can you not agree with that. I just don't see whats wrong with not wanting to mess up what everyone have accomplished.

Because the affairs of Iraq are not your concern. You are no better than your civilian brothers and sisters who want to have an opinion, but never did anything to earn the right. You have no right to an opinion of Iraq because you haven't done anything to preserve your way of life yet. If you graduate boot camp, I would be more than happy to continue this debate with you.

Rarec
06-28-09, 07:53 PM
I wasn't aware of that. I've heard it's kinda hot and sandy over there, too.

Because the affairs of Iraq are not your concern. You are no better than your civilian brothers and sisters who want to have an opinion, but never did anything to earn the right. You have no right to an opinion of Iraq because you haven't done anything to preserve your way of life yet. If you graduate boot camp, I would be more than happy to continue this debate with you.
That was kind of the whole reason for the thread. It is my concern because I am going to be a Marine and I am aware, like you said, the Marines have the experience to know what they are talking about on the subject. It is the entire purpose of the thread.
Please don't try to make me sound bad by saying I have done nothing for this country when I am 17, and have no power to do so,thats not fair. Believe me, the day I turn 18 I am making the 2-3 hour drive to the recruiters office.