PDA

View Full Version : Question About Enlistment Term

TyFats
06-28-09, 12:17 PM
Hello, I haven't been posting much on here but I have been reading damn near every thread to prepare myself for the challenge ahead of me. I have finally met with my recruiter and I am filling out all my paperwork currently. In two weeks I will be going to MEPS to get my physical, take the ASVAB, and to swear in.

As my MOS I plan on choosing Security Forces. After doing heavy research on this forum, I have read that Security Forces is a 5 year enlistment term. You will go 3 years Security Forces, and then the last 2 years will be spent with a normal Infantry Battalion correct? If this is so, when I asked my recruiter about Security Forces being a 5 year contract, he said he had not heard of such a thing? I'm confused about this... I have read so much about this MOS being a 5 year contract and then when I finally speak to my Recruiter, he has no recollection of this..

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

tripledog
06-28-09, 12:31 PM
What the **** is a "contract"? Do you mean enlistment term?

TyFats
06-28-09, 12:42 PM
Some have referred to it as a "contract" but I must have been mistaken. If "Enlistment Term" is the correct terminology then yes, that is what I meant to say and it won't happen again.

TyFats
06-28-09, 02:03 PM
My new question is.. Why wouldn't my recruiter know about this 5-year enlistment term, 3 being Security Forces and the last 2 being Infantry?

srinaldo86
06-28-09, 02:19 PM
What the **** is a "contract"? Do you mean enlistment term?
We call it a contract these days. :beer:

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 02:25 PM
Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions

MOS 8154 - - Marine Corps Security Force (MCSF) Close Quarters Battle (CQB) Team

Type of MOS (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/mosdef.htm) : FMOS
Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: SSgt to LCpl

Job Description: The MCSF CQB team member will be assigned to duty with MCSF Fleet Antiterrorism Security Teams (FAST) Companies and/or Security Force Companies. As a part of a CQB team and utilizing CQB techniques, the team member will be required to restore security to prevent access, damage, or removal of vital naval assets. The CQB team member will be physically and mentally capable of enduring the rigors of combat, be knowledgeable in the safe and proper employment of CQB weapons, be skilled in land navigation and patrolling, be well versed in interior guard procedures, and be familiar with antiterrorist tactics and techniques. He also will be required to conduct offensive infantry tactics in confined spaces, ashore and afloat, to restore security when breached.

Job Requirements:
(1) Must meet the prerequisites prescribed in MCO 1300.20, 5510.7, MCO 5521.3, and MCO 6100.3.
(2) Complete the Marine Corps Security Force Guard Course.
(3) Complete the Marine Corps Security Force Battalion Close Quarters Battle Course.
(4) To be used as a billet designator in Marine Corps Security Force T/O's.

Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.59, Individual Training Standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/8154.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/labels.htm?TopNode=999&terms=marine+corps+enlisted+jobs&pg=10&SUName=usmilitary&ac=&cs=

TyFats
06-28-09, 03:01 PM
I appreciate the information, I have those two sites actually bookmarked on my computer. Maybe I should wait until I go to MEPS where I will actually be signing my contract and ask the Marine Corps Liaison there.. I just don't understand how my recruiter knows nothing of this contract length.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:21 PM
Notice how it says LCpl to SSgt? That means it's not a primary MOS. You need to join under a different job and you can put up the secondary MOS after you get to the fleet.

TyFats
06-29-09, 12:47 AM
Ah, I understand what you are saying now. As for my primary MOS.. Would it have to be 0311? I'm not against going Grunt in any way, shape or form.. I am just making sure that I setup my contract correctly. Then as my Secondary MOS, I would be able to choose Security Forces?

Here I found...

MOS 8152 - - Marine Corps Security Force (MCSF) Guard

Rank Range: GySgt to Pvt

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/8152new.htm

Is this still a Secondary MOS? Also, is MCSFG different than MSCF?

Thanks for all the help!

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 12:50 AM
No, this is similar to MARSOC as far as how it is set up. You can have any job, Admin, ****-sucker, it doesn't really matter. Once you get in, talk to your CRS for the B-Billet.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 01:06 AM
Also, I believe that MOS 8152 is more like MSG duty. Marine Security Forces is somewhat like a B-Billet, except that you work your job until being called up. You get some extra training with a shotgun and OC spray (Which is miserable), and whenever your base's Force Protection Condition goes up, you walk around the base with a shotgun or do random vehicle inspections.

Fievel
06-29-09, 01:11 AM

MOS 8154 - - Marine Corps Security Force (MCSF) Close Quarters Battle (CQB) Team

Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: SSgt to LCpl

Job Description: The MCSF CQB team member will be assigned to duty with MCSF Fleet Antiterrorism Security Teams (FAST) Companies and/or Security Force Companies. As a part of a CQB team and utilizing CQB techniques, the team member will be required to restore security to prevent access, damage, or removal of vital naval assets. The CQB team member will be physically and mentally capable of enduring the rigors of combat, be knowledgeable in the safe and proper employment of CQB weapons, be skilled in land navigation and patrolling, be well versed in interior guard procedures, and be familiar with antiterrorist tactics and techniques. He also will be required to conduct offensive infantry tactics in confined spaces, ashore and afloat, to restore security when breached.

Job Requirements:
(1) Must meet the prerequisites prescribed in MCO 1300.20, 5510.7, MCO 5521.3, and MCO 6100.3.
(3) Complete the Marine Corps Security Force Battalion Close Quarters Battle Course.

Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.59, Individual Training Standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/labels.htm?TopNode=999&terms=marine+corps+enlisted+jobs&pg=10&SUName=usmilitary&ac=&cs=

Your informative posts and uncontested wealth of information never seizes to amaze me, LASWMarine :beer:

TyFats
06-29-09, 01:12 AM
Alright thank you, I really appreciate the quick feedback. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Out.

MattP1
06-29-09, 01:51 AM
Don't believe anything your recruiter tells you until you see what you want in writing. Understand you may go 0311, but nobody is going to guarantee you $hit as far as two years in. It all comes down to the "Needs of the Marine Corps" If they need you in your future unit more than Security Forces, then you are staying 0311. But hey... Good luck.:nerd:

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 02:01 AM
Favorite Movie = "We Were Soldiers"

It's all making perfect sense now. FYI, it's not like you see in the movies.

JWDevilDog
06-29-09, 03:58 AM
In terms of your recruiter. Understand that recruiters are a great wealth of information, but also understand that they don't know everything. A lot of what they learn, particularly dealing with MOS contracts, comes on a case-by-case basis.

What I'm saying is that if your specific recruiter hasn't had to deal with Security Forces contracts too much, then it is possibly that he hasn't yet learned about them.

Just a possibility.

marine95
06-29-09, 04:27 AM
As a former recruiter. They are called program requests. Keep in mind nothing is gaurnteed. If the boatspace fills up before you can get it with all your paperwork, you will have to choose again or go open contract. Again this all depends on your ASVAB scores.

JWDevilDog
06-29-09, 05:09 AM
As a former recruiter. They are called program requests. Keep in mind nothing is gaurnteed. If the boatspace fills up before you can get it with all your paperwork, you will have to choose again or go open contract. Again this all depends on your ASVAB scores.

Welcome to the site, SSgt! I hope you find yourself at home here.

I have a quick question about your profile, though. It says you are an E5, but your avatar says SSgt. Please enlighten me?

marine95
06-29-09, 05:22 AM
It's kind of a long story but heres the short version. I joined in 95 was promoted to Sgt in 98. Then promoted to SSgt in 2002. In 2004 I came to Jersey recruiting with my family. After 2 years of long hours not seeing the family much, my son said he wanted to kill himself. I told the SgtMaj and the Major I can not recruit anymore. So the Major took me to court martial and they took 1 rank from me and pushed me out on weight control. If you google my name chris cassese, you will see many articles from what happened. I put in 36 Marines and they still all call me SSgt. Even the parents do.

Lisa 23
06-29-09, 08:29 AM
Your informative posts and uncontested wealth of information never seizes to amaze me, LASWMarine :beer:
Thanks their Fievel.....:beer:
It feels good to give someone some info rather than pointing out to wannabes and poolees to fill out their profiles correctly and to read the rules.

BR34
06-29-09, 12:21 PM
It's kind of a long story but heres the short version. I joined in 95 was promoted to Sgt in 98. Then promoted to SSgt in 2002. In 2004 I came to Jersey recruiting with my family. After 2 years of long hours not seeing the family much, my son said he wanted to kill himself. I told the SgtMaj and the Major I can not recruit anymore. So the Major took me to court martial and they took 1 rank from me and pushed me out on weight control. If you google my name chris cassese, you will see many articles from what happened. I put in 36 Marines and they still all call me SSgt. Even the parents do.

Crazy situation.

Here it is for those interested.

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. -- Staff Sgt. Chris Cassese stood in a military courtroom yesterday and heard the one word that has the power to erase everything good about his 12-year career as a Marine -- and darken his future employment prospects.
Guilty
After deliberating less than an hour, a three-member military jury found the 35-year-old Bergen County native guilty of disobeying a superior officer's orders to return to recruiting duty in Clifton last October. They had not been swayed by Cassese's argument he needed to immediately leave a job that required 90-hour work weeks after learning his 10-year-old son, Cameron, had threatened to kill himself on Oct. 19.
Janine Cassese said the boy made the threat saying "there was no point in going because Daddy won't be there."
"He wanted to kill himself because Dad's not there, he doesn't care, he's there for other people (recruits) not him," she said.
She called her husband at his office in the Clifton recruiting station immediately. Chris Cassese broke down on the stand yesterday as he described the conversation.
"She barely got the words out of her mouth," Chris Cassese told the jury. "'You've got to come home, Cameron said he wants to kill himself."
Cassese told his commander, Maj. Kevin Norton, he wanted to be removed from recruiting duty the following day, even if it meant disobeying an order to stay on the duty.
Norton testified Monday that when they met that day, Cassese only talked in general terms about "family problems" as a reason for wanting to leave recruiting duty 10 months before his assignment was supposed to end. Cassese testified yesterday that he told Sgt. Maj. Ray Centeno, the top enlisted man for recruiting in New Jersey, about the suicide threat before Centeno and Cassese went into Norton's office.

Are you bitter at all?

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 06:46 PM
I can't say I "hate" officers, but they do some of the dumbest **** to prove that they're in charge. Can't spell lost without LT.

thewookie
06-29-09, 07:26 PM

Job Requirements:

Hey there Leatherneck, nice cut-n-paste job, but this isn't an entry level position/MOS. Don't get them confused.

First, they go to Security Forces school at the Training Company for six weeks, and if they make it they get the 8152 MOS

(This is NOT the same thing as MSG duty, nor is it the same school.)

After basic security guard (BSG) school at the Training Company they go to their Security Forces unit, whether it be a PRP command in the States, or somewhere overseas with FAST Company or another MCSF unit,,, once they get there and if they are selected and assigned to a Recapture Team they come back to the Training Company and go through this school/info you cut-n-pasted -- CQB School and upon completion they earn the 8154 MOS.

This was my last job, teaching this school, and don't have any of these clowns thinking they're going there as boots, cause they ain't. ;)

They should be looking in this direction first....http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/8152new.htm

Lisa 23
06-29-09, 08:05 PM
Thanks for correcting me on that Sgt. :thumbup:

marine95
06-30-09, 05:31 AM
It's a shame that now that court martial is hanging over my head for the past 2 years and employment is even harder for me to find. All I have to say is that I charrish every minute with my 2 boys and wife. Just remember that there is always 1 that will fry someone to get themselves out of hot water. Thank you Major Kevin Norton who was getting relieved early for lack of contract mission. Oh I'm sorry, the Col just said to let you go early because your relief was there. Give me a break. Never complained about the 36 contracts I gave NJ when I was recruiting. Let me get off the soap box.

Petz
06-30-09, 05:54 AM

"...never ceases to amaze...."

Semper Fi