PDA

View Full Version : Marines with B.Y. MOS , im looking for help

pblr89
06-24-09, 11:11 PM
I dep'd in in december and i recieved the job BY which i believe is ground electronics ordanance (correct me if im wrong on the title).
my recruiter informed me i could be in school for up to a year after bootcamp. From what i understand i could do 1/3 jobs in the BY bracket which include armorer, doing something with U.A.V.'s, or fixing electronic parts from airplanes ect.

im just looking for anyone in the Marine Corps that has experience with the BY bracket, maybe some advice, also looking to know how they put you into 1/3 jobs?

thanks in advance.

Sergeant M
06-24-09, 11:27 PM
What the MOS code? Should be a four digit code. BY means nothing to me.

Petz
06-24-09, 11:31 PM
BY is his enlistment code.

the Marine Corps Recruiting Command takes some 'cool' jobs and links them to less 'cool' jobs and instead of giving you a specific MOS they give you those codes so if for some reason you chose CD which is Motor T maint/Heavy Equip maint and you were hoping for MTM but got HEM then you'd ***** but there's nothing you can do.

pblr89
06-24-09, 11:36 PM
the four digit code, is it on your approval of enlistment contract? or do you have to get it from your recruiter?

Sergeant M
06-24-09, 11:42 PM
Well it probably has several different MOS codes the way that SSgt explained it. There's no way of knowing exactly what your job is going to be until you get to bootcamp.

pblr89
06-24-09, 11:42 PM
do you know how they select them?

Sergeant M
06-24-09, 11:51 PM
Your test scores and the needs of the Marine Corps.

Petz
06-25-09, 06:52 PM
keep in mind, the Corps is very topped off so be willing to do ANY of the jobs in that enlistment code.