PDA

View Full Version : Colorblindness keeping me out of 03XX?

RyanFling
06-24-09, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry to continue to bug you fine Marines with my petty questions, as soon as I get this one answered I will stop bugging you for a while.
I DEP'd in not to long ago and am leaving for Boot in October. While I was down there I found out for the first time in my life I am colorblind. Obviosuly it's never affected me, seeing as how I just found out I had it. But I was lead to believe that being colorblind restricted me from 03XX MOS's. Is there any truth to this? I tried doing some research, but so far haven't found any website saying yes or no to my question.
And don't worry, PFC. LASWMarine, I still remember you saying I need to focus on Boot Camp and not my MOS so much, but I want to know what I can and can't do. Thank you all for helping me this much, with this kind of support there's no way I can fail!

Phantom Blooper
06-24-09, 10:05 PM
Color vision

Failure to pass a color vision test is not an automatic disqualification. Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties.

You can't fly...you can ride but you can't pilot them.

Ask your recruiter for the MOS list....:evilgrin:

Sergeant M
06-24-09, 10:06 PM
The answer straight from the order. Prerequisites for 0311.

Prerequisites. Must possess a GT score of 80 or higher.
c. Requirements. Complete the Marine Rifleman Course at the School of
Infantry, East or West.
d. Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC
Directive 3500-87, Training and Readiness Manual.
e. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Combat Rifle Crewmember.
f. Related Military Skill
(1) Machine Gunner, 0331.
(2) Infantry Assaultman, 0351.

Sergeant M
06-24-09, 10:08 PM
A brief description of all MOSs and prerequisites for those jobs will be in MCO 1200.17

RyanFling
06-24-09, 10:19 PM
The answer straight from the order. Prerequisites for 0311.

Prerequisites. Must possess a GT score of 80 or higher.
c. Requirements. Complete the Marine Rifleman Course at the School of
Infantry, East or West.
d. Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC
Directive 3500-87, Training and Readiness Manual.
e. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Combat Rifle Crewmember.
f. Related Military Skill
(1) Machine Gunner, 0331.
(2) Infantry Assaultman, 0351.

My GT Score was 110, I believe, and I'll assume since it doesn't say Color Vision is required then it isn't required. Alright, I'm done bothering you fine Marines. I'll let you help out some other Poolees!
P.S. I hope you guys are allowed back in the Poolee Hall soon, your thoughts on our conversations were always nice... Not to mention funny when a stupid question was asked.

cm22486
06-25-09, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry to continue to bug you fine Marines with my petty questions, as soon as I get this one answered I will stop bugging you for a while.
I DEP'd in not to long ago and am leaving for Boot in October. While I was down there I found out for the first time in my life I am colorblind. Obviosuly it's never affected me, seeing as how I just found out I had it. But I was lead to believe that being colorblind restricted me from 03XX MOS's. Is there any truth to this? I tried doing some research, but so far haven't found any website saying yes or no to my question.
And don't worry, PFC. LASWMarine, I still remember you saying I need to focus on Boot Camp and not my MOS so much, but I want to know what I can and can't do. Thank you all for helping me this much, with this kind of support there's no way I can fail!

screw that, I'd focus on my MOS considering boot camp is only 3 months out of your 4-5 years of active duty....lol. Boot camp is a breeze, do what you are told and it is over before you know it.

Ensure you get what you want before you go in, don't settle for less or you will regret it.

RyanFling
06-25-09, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Pfc, I thought that was the right thing to do, but like I mentioned in my post it was suggested to me to focus on Boot now and MOS's later. I talked with my Recruiter, he has a couple hours set aside so I can talk to him. He's been busy the majority of this week, running kids to MEPS and all, but I have a notebook full of questions and I am not leaving until those questions have answers. Thank you for the advice!

Petz
06-26-09, 09:32 AM
wow... Ryan, those are LCpl chevrons, not PFC.

CM... these poolees are here asking Marines help for boot camp. It's in the rules, you need to read those rules if you are going to correct another Marine correcting the poolees.

RyanFling
06-26-09, 12:24 PM
wow... Ryan, those are LCpl chevrons, not PFC.

CM... these poolees are here asking Marines help for boot camp. It's in the rules, you need to read those rules if you are going to correct another Marine correcting the poolees.
****, my apologies! It was like 0330 when I wrote that and I must not have been paying much attention.
Now I feel REALLY stupid.

smoking gunz
06-26-09, 10:36 PM
This has been covered before. I had the same thing happen to me in 2003. I was told I could not be a pilot. When at itb I was a dq for 0351 tow gunner. The instructers stated since you use computer maps that detect heat and such colorblindness was a no go for that mos. I believe it is the same for 0313. I picked 0331 and never had an issue being colorblind......True story