PDA

View Full Version : Ed McMahon Dead at Age 86

Gutkowski
06-23-09, 06:04 PM
Born in Los Angeles, McMahon grew up in Lowell, Massachusetts. During World War II, he was a Marine aviator, flight instructor and test pilot. Discharged in 1946, McMahon graduated from The Catholic...

Ordrock
06-24-09, 09:48 AM
Wow great short Bio. I don't renember him ever exposing him self as a Marine whils I was growing up. I was stationed in California and never saw him at any events. Saw him on the T.V. though. Glad to be related to him, i was sorry to hear about him passing, he will be missed.

thedrifter
06-26-09, 03:27 PM
Col. Ed McMahon Dies
Posted By McQ

I know you probably knew him better as Johnny Carson's side kick, but Ed McMahon, who died today at the age of 86 was a proud former Marine.

He enlisted in the Marines for WWII and became a fighter pilot and served as an instructor pilot and test pilot. In 1946 he left active duty for the reserves and went to college. After college he returned to active duty and in 1953 he went to Korea where he flew 85 tactical air control and artillery spotting missions in an unarmed O-1E Bird Dog. After Korea he remained in the reserves retiring as a Col.in the Marine reserves in 1966.

In an interview in 1999, McMahon was asked what he would like to be remembered for. His answer?

"Two things. That I was a good broadcaster and a great Marine."

Semper Fi, Col McMahon and God Speed.

http://www.blackfive.net/.a/6a00d8341bfadb53ef0115714e5ebf970b-320wi

Ellie