PDA

View Full Version : Question about waiver

JJK5286
06-23-09, 11:38 AM
Im working on a dependent waiver.....the paperwork my recruiter is having me and my wife sign states that I am eligible for worldwide fleet service without dependents.....it also states that she will take care of the child for the full enlistment,that I will not be paid for recruit training and that I don't pay child support......Im wondering if this is the standard dependent waiver or if I am signing something that will keep my wife from being able to move to base with me and that she is signing something stating she will raise the child alone and without pay.....or is this only meaning she will take care of my son while im deployed and she can't receive pay while im in boot camp

BR34
06-23-09, 12:10 PM
I don't think that paperwork says you won't be paid at recruit training. I think it says she won't have access to the pay while you're at recruit training.

My wife and I filled out and signed the same paperwork when I was going through. And she's sitting on side of me right now, holding my youngest son, while my oldest is behind me on the floor with the dog.

You should be fine.

ArtyOps
06-23-09, 12:27 PM
Does it say your wife cannot move to base with you?

She technically will raise the child alone. Depending on your MOS you will initially be away from you family for about 6 months to a year. Then you have deployments, training, field ops, long work days, duty and all of the other things to contend with your family. I would expect that of your first enlistment you will be home less than half of the time you are in. It's a hard life but it is really rewarding. You will appreciate the time you do get to spend with your family even more. You will always be sure of a steady pay check (of big importance this day'n'age) unless you screw up. You know your family will be taken care of while you are gone. Medical, dental, housing allowance, all of those things taken care of plus the post 9/11 GI Bill kicking around now.

You're recruiter is not messing with you or trying to get you to give up your child so the Marine Corps can whisk you away to the far off reaches of nowhere and you'll see them at the end of four years. They're trying to make sure that when it comes time for you to deply that you will not say that you can't because your shild is not taken care of. If you can't say that your wife will take care of your child than they will not let you join.

Petz
06-23-09, 12:44 PM
this is a standard form that covers the basics

it DOES say you won't get paid for recruit training so it waives the Corps from not giving you your money and your family gets booted from the house or apartment because of it.

reason being is that there can be any number of pay problems... and you may not know about them until half way through boot camp.

So fear not, the fact of her taking care of the children is so that she doesn't complain about why you can't have a day off to help her out by watching the kids...

it's all standard stuff... basically she is enlisting into the Marines as well.

support her and don't think she has it easy and you will both enjoy your enlistment.

ArtyOps
06-23-09, 12:48 PM
Keep in mind this is going to be harder on her than it is on you. She is going to have to take care of everything you normally take care of, plus the stuff that she normally does plus dealing with you being away, not only from her point of view but from you child's point of view also.

JJK5286
06-23-09, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for the quick responses.......I understand it will be hard for her and it took me a long time to convince her this is the best thing for us....now that i understand the paperwork a little better I turned it in today and I will be in miami next week :)