PDA

View Full Version : Free Marine Ride Service in Need of Public's Help

thedrifter
06-23-09, 07:16 AM
Free Marine Ride Service in Need of Public's Help

Posted: June 22, 2009 06:32 PM

By Mike Daniels, News Channel 3 Reporter
mdaniels@kesq.com

PALM SPRINGS - In May, Soldiers Organized Service provided its 6,000th Marine ride from the airport to the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base.

A month later, though, S.O.S. is out of gas money and in desperate need of the public's help to continue its free rides to troops.

Everyday, the drivers of S.O.S. provide rides for five and as many as 200 Marines.

"It's priceless for us to boost the morale of just one individual to tell them someone in the community cares," says S.O.S. driver Erica Stone, who also spearheaded the project.

Two years after the project's first Marine ride, they need your help.

"Without the community support for the gas, we have no rides," Stone says.

If they can't provide the rides, it's a $200 dollar fee, which might mean some of the marines won't be home for the holidays.

"I have mothers calling me in tears saying ‘thank you for getting my son home safe.'"

It's a service the S.O.S. drivers provide because the base can't find the funding to do so. On July 2, they plan on transporting 200 troops to and from the airport to the base for the Independence Day holiday.

As gas prices rise, so do their trips. Right now, it's costing anywhere from $25 to 35 per trip.

"We hope it doesn't go to $4 [a gallon] like we saw last summer."

All the money donated is used for gas and car maintainance. With so many rides there, the monthly budget reaches the thousands.

For now it's a waiting game, a wait stone hopes won't last long.

If you would like to help the Solidiers Organzied Service with gas money, you can contact Erica Stone at 760-799-5488 or visit www.sosride.org.

Ellie