PDA

View Full Version : Program Reaches Out To Marines Under Stress

thedrifter
06-23-09, 06:48 AM
Program Reaches Out To Marines Under Stress

POSTED: 3:45 pm PDT June 22, 2009
UPDATED: 6:01 pm PDT June 22, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- Based on numbers from 2008, the Pentagon has expressed concern over military suicides, 10News reported.

In the U.S. Army, the rate is more than 20 per 100,000 soldiers – the highest in its history.

The U.S. Marine Corps is not far behind with 19 per 100,000, with the Air Force and Navy at 11.5 and 11.3 respectively.

Recently, a battalion of Marines at Camp Pendleton said goodbye to their families as they headed for Afghanistan.

With many of the Marines having multiple deployments to Iraq already under their belts, the toll mounts -- not just casualties but injuries that could take years to show up.

Katherine did two Marine tours in Iraq and said, "I really didn't know I had symptoms."

Another Marine, Cody, also had multiple tours, but he, like Katherine, fell apart months after he returned home.

"It started getting really bad. I started doing time in the brig … I didn't have a clue," said Cody.

Military medicine has come a long way from the Vietnam War in recognizing post-traumatic stress disorder, but getting rid of the stigma of going to counseling is still a struggle.

"They don't want their Marines or fellow service members to see them there. That stigma, unfortunately, is alive and well," said Carla Jurczynski, coordinator of Warrior Traditions.

Jurczynski, a former Marine who also did tours in Iraq, helps run the weekly Warrior Traditions get-togethers.

It's free and confidential, but to someone who is suffering, coming through the door is not easy.

"I was like, I came, I'm not going to talk to anybody, I'm not going to do anything. I'm like, you know what, I'm just going to sit down and be quiet," said Katherine.

Most start out that way, but once they open up and can see others with the same problems, many begin the process of letting go.

"I never used to smile ... now I can," said Katherine.

With increased deployments to Afghanistan the number of combat stress cases is bound to rise as well, experts said.

For more information on Warrior Traditions, visit www.vvsd.net/warrior.htm.

Ellie