PDA

View Full Version : Pull Ups: Neck Problem?

z1411
06-22-09, 12:22 AM
Hey, Ive been working on getting prepared for boot camp, and have been wanting to improve my pull ups (which suck) but have been having problems with it. Every time I get on the bar, within the first two or three pull ups, something in my neck pops, and once I get off, I cant move my head around for like two or three days. :( It sort of sucks. I haven't really known what to do about it, and just continue doing pull ups, hoping the next time it doesn't happen. I assume I'm just pulling something (pun intended), but don't know whats doing it. I'm not doing anything irregular, or unusual. Underhanded, not too wide, or close. Ive tried it every way that I can, and it always happens.

I could just shrug it off every day and continue having a extremely stiff neck for the rest of my life, which would blow, but I could deal with it... But I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to why this is happening. Ive looked around online, and have found people straining their neck, and icing it and such, but its always a one time occurrence. Ive never had it not happen when I do them.

Oh. And I don't do over handed pull ups because something in my right arm pops on every pull up, and it feels extremely strange. I want to say its a tendon(sp?), but dont know. At a certain point in the pull up, from the tip of my middle finger down to my elbow I feel something pop through my arm. Feels like I just grabbed a over powered joke buzzer or something. It doesnt last, like the neck pain, but it has always been there, since as long as I can remember, so I dont do them that way. I think I would strain my neck that way too, but I havent tried it in a long time, so Im not sure. Once my current sore neck goes away, I could try it and find out. Heh...

Im more interested in finding out what is wrong with my neck then the arm... The neck pain is pretty extreme, if anything its getting worse each time. Today I couldnt (cant actually), physically move my head past a certain point, even with ignoring the pain.

And someone suggested seeing a chiropractor in the Poolee section, but Ive already done that, and they just took my money, and didnt really help.

Pete0331
06-22-09, 12:58 AM
If I were you I would go see a sports medicine type person.
Tell them what's wrong, and make sure they watch you doing pullups.
It may help them identify the problem ore easily.

For right now make sure you stretch out your upper body before and after pullups.
See if that helps, before seeing a professional.

ameriken
06-22-09, 01:15 AM
If you pulled something in your neck, then continuing to do the pullups is only going to keep making it worse, as you already know. Sounds like your injury has led to a muscle spasm in the neck. Short of seeing a sports med doc as Pete suggested, I'd lay off the pullups for at least 2 to 4 weeks to try and let your neck fully heal. You've only got a few weeks unilt you go to boot camp, and if you dont let it heal, you'll have even bigger problems when you get there....especially if they catch on to your injury. Remember, you only need to pump out 2 pullups when you get there, and 3 to qualify on the PT test. So don't overdo it and make this something permanent.

I'd also suggest you find a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy). They are trained to do the same manuevers as chiropractors, but are full fledged Doctors equivelant to MD's in education, training, and degree of medicine. They can also prescribe a muscle relaxant or anti-inflammatory med to help soften your spasms. They may also refer you to the next step if they can't help you.

But at the very least, lay off them and let yourself heal.

Petz
06-22-09, 01:54 AM
I think the two popping things are related but I'm no doctor...

go see one, tell him all of your problems and see what he/she says.

it could just be weak muscles and if that's the case they'll prescribe some exercises to get you ready to do pull-ups minus the popping.

go today! don't wait... you could have a serious problem!

TMM54
06-22-09, 06:59 AM
Go to the nearest chiropractor and explain the problem. The doctor should be able to correct the problem and show you how/what to do to prevent this from happening anymore.

If you are in the Kansas City area, PM me.

Best thoughts, Tom

z1411
06-22-09, 09:21 AM
I kinda dont have any money for a doctor, nor any insurance.

The neck popping is painful, and feels like I pull something, and only happens once, in a set of pull ups, and leaves my neck stiff for days... The arm popping is just a very weird feeling and happens about half way up on every pull up. Leaves no feeling afterwords, except a odd tingle for a few moments... I didnt really think they were connected, but its possible I guess.

I just had my appendix removed(neck/arm problem was there before this, lol... Not related), and they want like 20k $$$ and I have no clue what Im supposed to do about that. So going to a doctor would cost money I really dont have...

Petz
06-22-09, 09:32 AM
the fact that you are hurting afterwards is the very reason you NEED to see a doctor.

if you can't then I'd suggest you do shoulder and neck exercises every day for a week or two before you do another pull-up.. this will tighten up the joints so there is less popping, then the pull-ups should do the rest... are you a fat body?

Pete0331
06-22-09, 09:46 AM
Regardless, you need to get it checked out sometime before you leave if it doesn't get better.
It will only get worse though training.
It will also be a surefire way to get yourself dropped to a medical platoon.

It would be more beneficial to you to have your date pushed back if it is a serious problem.

How many pull ups do you max out at?

z1411
06-22-09, 09:53 AM
Na... Im not... 6' and about 150. If anything Im light... And nearly none, 3-4 max. Oh... And something I just thought of... It only happens when I do a full pull up... Not sure what to call it, Marine style pull up? I mean, before my recruiter showed me, I always thought a pull up was going down to where your arms are at a 90 degree angle, thats what they taught back in high school. Anyways... Those dont screw up my neck... Only when its going down to a arm hang is when the neck thing happens.

On a side topic... Is there and negative side effects to using a ice pack for too long? I sortta fell asleep with it on my neck last night =/

Phantom Blooper
06-22-09, 10:01 AM
I kinda dont have any money for a doctor, nor any insurance.

Go to a free clinic out in sunny California....I'm sure Arny will hook you up out in the land of fruits and nuts.

If you have a medical issue you need to Ask A Doctor....NOT Ask A Marine....if it was just a pull up/PT issue it would be different....be kind to yourself....

your snap& crackle may POP and you could have a good chance of being paralyzed!

Go see a doctor!

:evilgrin:

z1411
06-22-09, 10:04 AM
Yes sir...

Didnt think about that... And Arny is apparently trying to get rid of it. Guess I should get some help while its still there. Im ganna go find a phone book and make a appointment now...

Pete0331
06-22-09, 10:11 AM
Na... Im not... 6' and about 150. If anything Im light... And nearly none, 3-4 max. Oh... And something I just thought of... It only happens when I do a full pull up... Not sure what to call it, Marine style pull up? I mean, before my recruiter showed me, I always thought a pull up was going down to where your arms are at a 90 degree angle, thats what they taught back in high school. Anyways... Those dont screw up my neck... Only when its going down to a arm hang is when the neck thing happens.

On a side topic... Is there and negative side effects to using a ice pack for too long? I sortta fell asleep with it on my neck last night =/

Sounds like you may not be doing them correctly, or you have done them incorrectly so long that your body isn't used to it yet.

And go see the proper medical professional.

ameriken
06-22-09, 10:38 AM
Yes sir...

Didnt think about that... And Arny is apparently trying to get rid of it. Guess I should get some help while its still there. Im ganna go find a phone book and make a appointment now...
Let us know what the Dr says. And don't do any more pullups until you know what's going on...if you can do 3 to 4 now, it's enough to qualify you when you get to MCRD.

z1411
06-22-09, 04:37 PM
Doc didnt say much... Gave me muscle relaxant, which is nice by the way, and just told me to stretch... Severe neck spasm he said... Kinda figured. Didnt tell me much as to why its happening (which I kept asking him), instead just told me how to make the pain go away (which I really dont care about). Told me Im skinny, lol. Which I am... Again, something I knew. Kept bringing the subject back to the Marines and kept asking me if I could "get out of it"... After awhile it was annoying the hell out of me. Was making it sound like I got forced into it or something >.< Wasnt any of his business anyways. I told him no, and that I didnt want to like three or four times... Anyways, sorry for the mini-rant... He bothered me, and didnt help much...

Petz
06-22-09, 04:41 PM
did you tell him about your shoulder too or just your neck. I told you they sounded related

you need to do shrugs while holding onto weights to beef up your neck muscles.

do them until you cry and eventually your muscles will do the job nature intended.

keep us posted.

z1411
06-26-09, 07:40 PM
I actually didnt mention it... Its actually in my forarm, starts at my finger tips and ends at my elbow... Its not painful and doesnt stop me from doing anything... Its just a really wierd feeling...

SGT7477
06-27-09, 09:37 AM
Hey, Ive been working on getting prepared for boot camp, and have been wanting to improve my pull ups (which suck) but have been having problems with it. Every time I get on the bar, within the first two or three pull ups, something in my neck pops, and once I get off, I cant move my head around for like two or three days. :( It sort of sucks. I haven't really known what to do about it, and just continue doing pull ups, hoping the next time it doesn't happen. I assume I'm just pulling something (pun intended), but don't know whats doing it. I'm not doing anything irregular, or unusual. Underhanded, not too wide, or close. Ive tried it every way that I can, and it always happens.

I could just shrug it off every day and continue having a extremely stiff neck for the rest of my life, which would blow, but I could deal with it... But I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to why this is happening. Ive looked around online, and have found people straining their neck, and icing it and such, but its always a one time occurrence. Ive never had it not happen when I do them.

Oh. And I don't do over handed pull ups because something in my right arm pops on every pull up, and it feels extremely strange. I want to say its a tendon(sp?), but dont know. At a certain point in the pull up, from the tip of my middle finger down to my elbow I feel something pop through my arm. Feels like I just grabbed a over powered joke buzzer or something. It doesnt last, like the neck pain, but it has always been there, since as long as I can remember, so I dont do them that way. I think I would strain my neck that way too, but I havent tried it in a long time, so Im not sure. Once my current sore neck goes away, I could try it and find out. Heh...

Im more interested in finding out what is wrong with my neck then the arm... The neck pain is pretty extreme, if anything its getting worse each time. Today I couldnt (cant actually), physically move my head past a certain point, even with ignoring the pain.

And someone suggested seeing a chiropractor in the Poolee section, but Ive already done that, and they just took my money, and didnt really help.
Go for a second opinion and maybe a 3rd or a 4th wouldn't hurt either and if all else fails a MRI wouldn't be a bad option either.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 11:45 PM
Instead of doing pull-up, try using a lat pulldown machine. If you're only doing 3-4 pull-ups then your muscles aren't used to that type of stress. Also it will help if you concentrate on isolating the muscle group you SHOULD be using. I see alot of people kicking their legs and bobbing their head up and down to get over the bar. Keep your head straight and your legs relaxed. Like SSgt Petzold said, you need to get your muscles stronger by using those smaller weights before you seriously injure yourself. If your goal is to benchpress 200 pounds, but you can only benchpress 80, that doesn't mean throw 200 pounds on the bar and hope to God that you can get the wieght off your chest. Getting that MRI wouldn't be a bad idea either.