PDA

View Full Version : Information Regarding Parachute Rigger MOS

RyanFling
06-21-09, 06:29 PM
I recently swore in, I leave for Boot Camp on October 14th. As I'm sure everyone here knows I get to choose 3 potential MOS options. I wanted to go 0300, but unfortunately I am color blind, which seriously limits my options. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I understand why there are certain restrictions on combat jobs. So right now I am looking at becoming a Parachute Rigger and was wondering if there are any Marines on here who are or were Parachute Riggers, and if so if they an answer some questions for me.
1. Where would I most likely be stationed?
2. Is there any other duties required for this job? Just packing parachutes all day would get boring pretty fast.
3. Am I going to get the opportunity to jump off of a plane at some point?

Any help you folks can give would be greatly appreciated. Also, if these questions have already been answered on these forums feel free to delete this. I tried using the search function, but the image you have to enter (The captcha, I believe it is called) wouldn't show up on my old computer, so I ended up just digging around from thread to thread for the last two and a half hours... Excessive maybe, but I don't want to do anything to **** you guys off.

Lisa 23
06-21-09, 07:12 PM
What I want to know is why wannabes and poolees are more worried and interested in an MOS than worrying about getting through Boot Camp. I do realize that this is a job you will be doing in the Marine Corps, that is if you get through Boot Camp, but sooooooooooooo much time, in my opinion, is wasted on things like this.
Boot Camp is NO summer camp nor is it the club med. It is the toughest training you will ever go through both mentally and physically. Your Drill Instructors will be in your face "constantly" that at times, you don't even know what direction you're going in.
So, may I suggest worrying about knowing your General Orders, who your Commander In Cheif is, learning USMC core values, being in good physical shape before you go to Boot Camp, and I could go on and on and on.......

JWDevilDog
06-21-09, 10:36 PM
LASWMarine has a point.

However, I will help you out a bit, since there are AD (Air Delivery) Marines in my company.

1) As a rigger, you could be stationed at any major or minor duty station.
2) When they are not training, they pack parachutes and build palletes (this is gear which will be dropped off planes).
3) Yes. Part of their training is going to Jump School, it lasts approximately three weeks. Once an AD Marine hits the Fleet, they have opportunites to jump from time to time. The riggers that are stationed out here in Okinawa mostly just do training missions, until they are deployed to a combat zone.

Basically, pack parachutes when not training. Training consists of jumping and dumping gear off planes. Their actual MOS is exactly that: "jumping and dumping."

Any further questions?

RyanFling
06-21-09, 11:12 PM
What I want to know is why wannabes and poolees are more worried and interested in an MOS than worrying about getting through Boot Camp. I do realize that this is a job you will be doing in the Marine Corps, that is if you get through Boot Camp, but sooooooooooooo much time, in my opinion, is wasted on things like this.
Boot Camp is NO summer camp nor is it the club med. It is the toughest training you will ever go through both mentally and physically. Your Drill Instructors will be in your face "constantly" that at times, you don't even know what direction you're going in.
So, may I suggest worrying about knowing your General Orders, who your Commander In Cheif is, learning USMC core values, being in good physical shape before you go to Boot Camp, and I could go on and on and on.......

Oh I can only imagine what Boot Camp is going to be like. But as I am stuck at work behind a desk for 8 hours at a time and I can only do so much time memorizing General Orders and reading. So I thought I'd just get some information on what I'm interested in, that way when I leave for Boot Camp and get to choose my MOS I'll make an informed decision and not get myself into something that I will not be happy with. But I definitely understand what you're saying. Especially when it comes to the physical fitness portion. I'm a former Fat-Body, and I've lost 93 pounds to prepare for the Marine Corps. Thanks for the advice, though, I do appreciate it!

JWDevilDog:
Thanks for the information. I have more questions about other MOS's but Recruiters in my Station have had those jobs in the past and can help me out so I don't have to bother you.

Petz
06-22-09, 02:05 AM
um, riggers are AD... they pack the 'chutes and test random 'chutes by jumping out of a plane while wearing them...

if you have a collateral duty of AD then that's news to me, but my understanding is that you get all the cool training (HALO, LAHO,) and have to test your packs for quality control (there was a Marine about a year or two ago who was sabotaging 'chutes and is now in levenworth)

so... um... yeah, it's not JUST packing the 'chutes...

RyanFling
06-22-09, 02:13 AM
Thank you SSgt. Petzold, any information you're willing to fill me in on would be greatly appreciated. And thank you to JWDevilDog and LASWMarine, I really do appreciate your advice and information.

Petz
06-22-09, 02:13 AM
what's the MOS number?

RyanFling
06-22-09, 02:17 AM
0451, sir.

Petz
06-22-09, 02:19 AM
yup...

JWDD... I retract my statement....

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0451.htm

motivator, this should quench your thirst... hopefully.

RyanFling
06-22-09, 02:23 AM
That more then quenches my thirst for information on this MOS. Thank you, SSgt. Petzold, for the source, I will consult it before bugging you fine Marines.

Fubar5812
06-22-09, 03:50 AM
i wish all the threads could end this well.

RyanFling
06-22-09, 04:08 AM
Well, LCpl, I believe in the rules it says that I am a Poolee and am being allowed to use these boards for the purposes of asking questions and getting advice and guidance on becoming a Marine. And seeing as how none of you get paid to do this, it is my responsibility to show nothing but respect, and keep my mouth shut and my ears open. Besides, compared to you, I'm pretty much a dog turd at present.

1stRad2671
06-22-09, 07:52 PM
I would think most of the riggers would be part of a recon unit. I know at Rad BN our riggers would take part in the various Radio Recon training and activities. I don't know why that would be any different elsewhere unless that unit jumps a lot and needs lots of chutes packed. That wasn't the case at 1st Rad BN, lots of time for other things.

JWDevilDog
06-22-09, 10:40 PM
Sgt., Riggers in my unit work closely with recon Marines, and some AD Marines end up getting attached to recon units. But in terms of my unit, they are still an Air Delivery Platoon within a Landing Support Company.

SSgt., What statement are you retracting?

Petz
06-23-09, 10:51 AM
talking about AD being something different when it's just a billet name....

yut.

JWDevilDog
06-23-09, 05:26 PM
Roger.

CPL PaulM
06-27-09, 02:47 AM
I served as a 6060 ALSS rigger attached to F-18d squadron VMFA(AW)-242. The job rocked. We worked next to the ejection seat mechs. We were responsibe for inspection and repacement of everything the pilot wore and would need if he had to pull the handle ie. survival eqiupment, life raft, o2 mask helmet... I never got to jump, but after A school I never packed a chute, MALS did that. As for the AD.. MALS did it. Its all about who you get attched to.. Its luck of the draw.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:39 PM
You also get the outstanding nicknames of "stitch *****", "sew hoe", and "seat sniffer"!

WDPickle
12-17-09, 10:28 PM
I prefer "Needle Pimp".

jwickert
02-04-15, 07:52 PM
I call BS on the color blind excuse for not being an 03. I'm color blind and was an 0311. Just say you didn't want to be a grunt. We're going to call you a POG anyways.

USMCARivera
02-23-15, 11:52 AM
I call BS on the color blind excuse for not being an 03. I'm color blind and was an 0311. Just say you didn't want to be a grunt. We're going to call you a POG anyways.
You're right in calling BS. You can be infantry and be color blind it just limits you from doing certain MOS's. He could've definitely been a rifleman though. I wonder if he made it.

joseywales
02-23-15, 02:09 PM
Cant even imagine bringing up a thread that is years old. This thread is 2009. Can we find something from the Civil War while we're at it?

LCPL1341
02-24-15, 07:50 PM
Lol. It was a fun thread, especially the first response to OPs question. Good God....

Belligerent3381
05-05-15, 05:56 AM
I am trying to Lat move to 0451 from a 3381 my wife thinks it is a bad idea because she says they are never home i am trying to either confirm or deny this so i can make my decision.

Thank you

Hammer
05-05-15, 08:12 AM
c
an anyone explain how this thread is relevant? It's six years old. The Corps has changed/moved on in the past six years.

m14ed
05-06-15, 03:21 AM
02-24-15, 08:50 PM #23 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?85555-Information-Regarding-Parachute-Rigger-MOS&p=981628&viewfull=1#post981628)
LCPL1341 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?113540-LCPL1341) <CLICK
that please to see a real profile

Lol.
It was a fun thread,
especially the first response to OPs question.
Good God....
.......... ............. ............ ............... ............ .........
LanceCorporal....are you an undercover replacement
for Carrvy1 ????

joseywales
05-06-15, 06:49 AM
As if bringing up old stuff isn't stupid enough, we have a guy now starting his OWN question within a six year old thread. W T F, people? lol

USMC 2571
05-06-15, 11:11 AM
There must be some irresistible impulse re these old threads; like magnets, some are drawn to them.

josephd
05-07-15, 12:28 AM
FREE POST!

I am joining the Marines, can I lat move from 0111 to MARSOC, what are my chances if my dog has cancer and my friends eats pancakes for dinner?......I am tired of pushing papers, the papercuts are killin me...I wanna get out there and fight terrorists with a K-bar.....this is something I really want and will do whatever it takes, get I get a waiver for the hangnail I just got?....also I should mention I am about 100lbs overweight right now..do I have to pass the IST/PFT to become a Marine?

Ledlow
05-15-15, 07:27 PM
Boot camp is easy idk why he shouldn't worry about the job he wants instead of worrying about what boot camp will do to him!

josephd
05-15-15, 07:30 PM
Boot camp is easy idk why he shouldn't worry about the job he wants instead of worrying about what boot camp will do to him!

why!?!?!?!?!?!

another free post!