PDA

View Full Version : Bibles for the troops

thedrifter
06-20-09, 08:21 AM
Bibles for the troops
Personal notes also part of kids’ effort
By Brian Reynolds Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.

TUSCALOOSA | Children at South Highlands Baptist Church are trying to make an impact on the other side of the world with their vacation Bible school this year.

The group of first- to sixth-graders is sending 64 bibles to U.S. troops overseas and writing personalized notes to the soldiers.

“We know there are different organizations who send Bibles to the schools, the hospitals and such. I personally do not know of another organization who sends Bibles specifically to the military,” said vacation Bible school co-

director Jimmy Dockery.

“LifeWay has a special where if you buy an entire crate, which is 32 Bibles, they will pay for the shipment of those Bibles overseas,” he said. “It just seemed like one of those deals that was too good to pass up.”

LifeWay Christian Store makes Bibles specifically for the four branches of the military. The notes are meant to personalize the Bibles and show that they are not just from some church in Alabama, Dockery said.

“We know the importance of having the Bible in your hand, and if you’re in the military and you’re off somewhere you may not have taken a Bible or have access to a Bible.”

The church’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Sprung, spent 11 years in the Air Force and served in Vietnam from June 1971 to June 1972. He said he wishes troops during his time in the service could have been on the receiving end of a program like this.

“To get them from somebody you don’t even know, that somebody stopped to send something to you, I think that would have meant a lot to me, as a young man who lacked a lot of wisdom,” Sprung said. “That did not happen in the Vietnam period.

“To me the Bible is a great comfort,” he said. “I wasn’t a Christian when I was in Vietnam, but it might have changed my life earlier.”

The treatment of troops has changed dramatically since Vietnam and veterans are shown more respect, he said. Programs like this can help instill that respect in children.

“They’re doing something productive far beyond themselves,” Sprung said. “It’s something they’re participating in that they might learn to respect their country, respect life itself, because a lot of young people die; 21, 22, 23 [years old].”

Ellie