PDA

View Full Version : Reserve--->to Officer--->to active duty?

MrGoldCal
06-17-09, 06:55 PM
Ok my question may seem complicated but in short it is: Out of High School you go reserves and attend college, after getting your Bachelors get your commission as 2nd LT then be an active duty officer. It all seems like a lot but it contains everything I want to do (go to college, hopefully become a Marine, experience enlisted side, experience officer side)

I just want to know if this is all possible or has been done before, thank you all. And before you start bashing me with "search button!" or "the search button is there for a reason retard" or some such thing keep in mind iv scoured this forum for info on reserves and active duty stuff.

Thank you

ritter
06-17-09, 09:44 PM
There is a wealth of information outside of using the search button in this forum. However, I will answer your question… Yes. You would sign up under the 92 day boot camp program for college students joining the reserves. Once you complete boot camp you would return to where ever your home of record is and work on school. During the next summer you would attend your MOS school. Once you have 60 college credits or and associates degree you can put in for the Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program where you can become an officer however, you must obtain a bachelors degree by the time you pin on Captain. If you don’t want to do it that way then you would just finish you four year degree and make the switch from Enlisted to Officer through an Officer Selection Officer and you can go to active duty. There are many programs out there; you can even apply for the Platoon Leaders Course while serving in the reserves. Here is the website you need to read: http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Join/Bonus.asp (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Join/Bonus.asp)

MrGoldCal
06-17-09, 10:00 PM
Thank you Sergeant, I haven't heard of some of those programs and I will research them more deeply. But your saying you have to be enrolled in college first then enlist in the reserves to be eligible for the program?

ritter
06-17-09, 10:05 PM
To be eligible for the 92-day reservist program you must be enrolled in college first. You go through a shortened boot camp; they knock a week off so you can make it back to school.

MrGoldCal
06-17-09, 10:08 PM
While that sounds nice sir I would like to experience all 13 weeks, also keep in mind I want to go active duty after college, I read the website you linked and there are some really nice programs but they all require you stay a reservist

ritter
06-17-09, 10:14 PM
As a reservist you can request active duty orders. The Platoon Leaders Course doesn’t require you to stay as a reservist but it would increase your length of time in the reserves and time away from college. If I were you I would do the 92-day reservist program because it will allow you to be on the enlisted side and once you get your commission you can make the switch from reserve to active duty. If you look at the Marine Corps Reserve Website there are a lot of active duty jobs available for reserve officer. I will even provide a link for you: http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/HQ/G1/Operations/Sourcing/GlobalBillets.asp (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/HQ/G1/Operations/Sourcing/GlobalBillets.asp)
An “O” means officer and as you will see there are many active duty jobs open for Officers.

KawiGunny
06-18-09, 07:31 AM
There has been some good advice handed down about your options. Good job ritter.:beer:

But as you mentioned (MrGoldCal), you want to experience the enlisted side first. You will never really experience the enlisted side in the reserves if you plan on becoming an active duty officer later down the road. Being and enlisted reserve while in college unless you get a deployment under your belt prior to becoming an officer. Nothing against the reserves (because some reserve units out there have done some great things while deployed to the sand box) but if you are in a reserve unit that more than likely won't deploy, you won't really experience much. I had a Lt once that came active duty from the reserves. He was a Cpl then went over to the dark side. He came to us (3/6) thinking he was the greatest thing since he was a mustang. Needless to say, he was the biggest waste of sperm I have ever seen. On top of that, he was relieved while in Iraq. You may not get the full experience of being enlisted or you might, just don't go on active duty acting like you are God. It will bite you in the arse. Active duty enlisted Marines look up to mustangs because of where they came from. You will start off with some of their respect for that. You will earn the rest of it by doing your job and being firm but fair. Good luck to you.

Isrowei
06-18-09, 10:16 AM
I don't really consider a reservist getting college to be a Mustang in anything but name only (and even then I might throw the flag). Call me prejudice, but it just doesn't compare.

Just because you went through Boot Camp doesn't make you experienced with the enlisted side. Doing a few drill weekends doesn't hack it either.

Marines are respected for how they perform, not just the rank they wear.

Also, 92-day reservists don't get a shortened boot camp, they just can't be held back. If you fail anything, you get sent home or lose your reservist contract. There are no re-do's.

Why do you feel you need to experience both sides? If you want college... go get it. If you want to enlist.. then do that. But don't do one or the other because you think it will make you "better". Unless you're willing to commit some serious time into an enlistment (and I mean actually going active duty) then it's not the experience gain you're expecting. The only thing you'll gain is an over-inflated sense of your own accomplishment (which won't be that great) and people will see right through you. Now the reserves WILL help pay for college so that might be a reason to do it. Just don't fool yourself about what you're getting out of it. You're not preparing to be the next Chesty Puller for having done a few drill weekends.

ritter
06-18-09, 01:23 PM
A 92-day reservist boot camp is shortened by one week. They usually skip team week.

MrGoldCal
06-18-09, 09:53 PM
There has been some good advice handed down about your options. Good job ritter.:beer:

But as you mentioned (MrGoldCal), you want to experience the enlisted side first. You will never really experience the enlisted side in the reserves if you plan on becoming an active duty officer later down the road. Being and enlisted reserve while in college unless you get a deployment under your belt prior to becoming an officer. Nothing against the reserves (because some reserve units out there have done some great things while deployed to the sand box) but if you are in a reserve unit that more than likely won't deploy, you won't really experience much. I had a Lt once that came active duty from the reserves. He was a Cpl then went over to the dark side. He came to us (3/6) thinking he was the greatest thing since he was a mustang. Needless to say, he was the biggest waste of sperm I have ever seen. On top of that, he was relieved while in Iraq. You may not get the full experience of being enlisted or you might, just don't go on active duty acting like you are God. It will bite you in the arse. Active duty enlisted Marines look up to mustangs because of where they came from. You will start off with some of their respect for that. You will earn the rest of it by doing your job and being firm but fair. Good luck to you.

Gunny, I understand what your saying. I honestly planned on going active straight out of high school and maybe one day MECEPing to 2nd LT or something (god willing). BUT now my dad is talking about possibly sending me to college and I would not want to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I would love to get an education but I would not want that getting in the way of my dream. Im just coming up with my options. Thank you everyone for your answers

Petz
06-20-09, 03:48 PM
I have never ever ever heard of skipping team week... that would mean you don't graduate with your plt/company or at all.

this is absurd, 92-day reservists become 92-day reservists once they finish boot camp...

after boot camp you go home until the next summer... then you goto MCT and your MOS school if it's short enough... then you become deployable many times they only goto MCT and the following year they goto OCS then the next year TBS then when they graduate college they get commissioned.

after commissioning I think you are technically in the reserves for 4 years (with active duty orders) and if you choose to stay after your 4 year commitment you get augmented to the active duty roster if you are eligible to stay in your MOS (3502 MT officer was eliminated so all those guys needed new jobs).

staying in the reserves for your 4 year commitment cleans up a lot of that red tape with contracts and stuff when officers are "indefinite" EASs.

or so I've gathered about the Officer side.

spartan1371
06-28-09, 08:31 AM
Marines,

I'm here to ask a question, im sure some of you may have seen some of my post recently regarding my situation, questions, and answers so bare with me. This Forum is exceptionally helpful and much quicker then spending hours googling everything. However im going into reserves, im a prior 4 year active duty combat engineer, did a couple of tours to the sand box and left the corps for two years. I'm switching to the airwing side and hopefully trading my rucksack in for a pair of aircrew wings, "MOS 6174". That being said i have the GI bill and the kicker. Havent touched it yet, i was curious if anyone knew of a program that would allow me to continue drilling but would also pay me to go to school. May be a weird question, however i had a conversation during breakfast with one who claimed to be a captain in the Marines and said that since i had the G.I. Bill and was going reserves the corps would pay me active duty seargents pay while i went to school and drilled my one weekend a month so that i could ultimately become a commissioned officer. Does this statement have any weight to it. Or does it sound foolish??

Im sure your all aware how hard it is to go to school full time and work full time and drill as a reservist. I would love to come back in the corps as an officer "Mustang" and fix the things i saw done wrong and bring to the table my leadership skills given to me by the fine senior enlisted men in my prior unit.

Supersquishy
06-28-09, 08:38 AM
Marines,

May be a weird question, however i had a conversation during breakfast with one who claimed to be a captain in the Marines and said that since i had the G.I. Bill and was going reserves the corps would pay me active duty seargents pay while i went to school and drilled my one weekend a month so that i could ultimately become a commissioned officer. Does this statement have any weight to it. Or does it sound foolish??
Sounds somewhat correct, My Career Planner said the same thing, you go to school full time, from there your considered a butter bar, until you graduate, then get your commision. It is the MECEP Program. Not sure if you have to go to OCS first or not can't remember, all I know is that if you screw up, i.e. get below a c average, get arrested or something stupid, you go back to the fleet as a SGT for the remainder of your contract. He was talking me into doing that, going to SDSU then commisioning, I was at my fork in the road to life and did not take that route, sometimes I wish i did.

spartan1371
06-28-09, 08:46 AM
Thats very interesting! thanks for the heads up! Reason 1,572 to bother the recruiter this weekend! lol

ritter
06-28-09, 02:29 PM
I have never ever ever heard of skipping team week... that would mean you don't graduate with your plt/company or at all.
My Platoon lost two guys at the beginning of team because they were 92 day reservists.

ritter
06-28-09, 02:39 PM
Marines,

I'm here to ask a question, im sure some of you may have seen some of my post recently regarding my situation, questions, and answers so bare with me. This Forum is exceptionally helpful and much quicker then spending hours googling everything. However im going into reserves, im a prior 4 year active duty combat engineer, did a couple of tours to the sand box and left the corps for two years. I'm switching to the airwing side and hopefully trading my rucksack in for a pair of aircrew wings, "MOS 6174". That being said i have the GI bill and the kicker. Havent touched it yet, i was curious if anyone knew of a program that would allow me to continue drilling but would also pay me to go to school. May be a weird question, however i had a conversation during breakfast with one who claimed to be a captain in the Marines and said that since i had the G.I. Bill and was going reserves the corps would pay me active duty seargents pay while i went to school and drilled my one weekend a month so that i could ultimately become a commissioned officer. Does this statement have any weight to it. Or does it sound foolish??

Im sure your all aware how hard it is to go to school full time and work full time and drill as a reservist. I would love to come back in the corps as an officer "Mustang" and fix the things i saw done wrong and bring to the table my leadership skills given to me by the fine senior enlisted men in my prior unit.

That sounds like the MECEP program; as far as I know you would need to re-enlist in order to get that. There is the PLC program that would most likely benefit you the most, plus you get extra cash on top of what you get from your G.I. Bill. I posted a link to the reserve commissioning website that has all of the different commissioning programs available to enlisted Marines. I completed my four year degree in three years but I wasn't working full time. With the new G.I. Bill you should be fine without having to work full time, eventually I will switch to the O side but I'm not ready to do that just yet. Good Luck!

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:58 PM
I think you should look into the MECEP program Sergeant. I believe that is what the Captain was talking about. http://www.ncsu.edu/navy_rotc/marines/mecep.php

spartan1371
07-01-09, 06:24 AM
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

especially the links and references! im going to read all of it and make my preperations!

Thanks again

:usmc:Truly a brother hood!:usmc:

MrGoldCal
07-10-09, 07:34 PM
I have also read about MECEP, it sounds awesome but it seems very competitive and hard to get into. also dont you have to pay for college?

Well the only question my recruiter has been asking lately is Reserve or Active duty? so i got to come up with that in reasonable time.
Does anyone know how hard it is to go to college while on active duty