PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract Question

Stealthyd
06-16-09, 03:56 AM
I recently signed up for the Marines, and I was put on an open contract. My recruiter said that I would be able to pick the job i want and he can put it on my contract. I was wondering how he can do this or even IF he can do this. I've done a lot of research and I know what I want to do, and what I have to do to achieve it. I do NOT want to end up with a MOS of a Cook for 4 years because that's just what they stuck me with. So is it possible for my recruiter to change my contract and actually give me the MOS that I want or am I now stuck with an open contract until I leave. Thanks.

Quinbo
06-16-09, 04:44 AM
Maybe if you had squared away your profile before posting one of us could tell you how cool it is to be a cook. Until then the answer is uuuuhhhh private doesn't know but will seek further education on that topic.

srinaldo86
06-16-09, 07:22 AM
I signed open contract until my MOS became available then my recruiter changed my contract for me prior to shipping. I'm sure yours will do the same for you, just refuse to sign your final papers until you receive the MOS you want.

Stealthyd
06-16-09, 07:47 PM
Yeah, i'm new to the site so just finished fixing up my account. So, my recruiter can change the contract after i've signed the open contract? That makes me feel a hell of a lot better. And Srinaldo, you said their is one final contract I must sign before going in right? Just trying to get all of this in the open so I know what to expect. Thanks.

Fubar5812
06-16-09, 09:56 PM
open contract means you'll get the job THEY want you to have,not the one you want. I did what srinaldo did,I signed open contract to start until a 58xx contract slot opened up but I remained VERY FIRM with my recruiter that i refused to ship until i got a 58xx contract..even if that mean't waiting another year. keep that in mind,this is YOUR life for the next 4 years and despite what he may say you DO NOT have to ship until you have signed that final piece of paper,you can back out at anytime before that....so make sure he knows what job you want,and explain you refuse to ship until you get that job.

srinaldo86
06-17-09, 01:19 AM
Amen Fubar.

Yes Stealthy, you sign one final contract at MEPs right before you ship for boot. That is your real legitimate contract. Its really the only one that matters. Best make sure it has the MOS on there that you want.

By signing my contract for 58XX I was 50/50 on getting 5831 (Prison Guard) or 5811 (MP). Thankfully I got 5811, some other guys who wanted it did not.

Stealthyd
06-17-09, 02:45 AM
So I talked to my recruiter again today, he said that he has to wait to request a MOS for and he does not know when he will be able to request it. 03xx is the contract I want. Any Infantry job I'll do but my goal is 0317 or 0326. He told me for those i'd have to do Infantry anyways which is fine because thats what I planned on doing. So just to make sure, neither of those jobs can be put on my contract right, its basically earned if I get 1st class PFT and Expert rifle qualified.

ritter
06-17-09, 04:50 AM
So I talked to my recruiter again today, he said that he has to wait to request a MOS for and he does not know when he will be able to request it. 03xx is the contract I want. Any Infantry job I'll do but my goal is 0317 or 0326. He told me for those i'd have to do Infantry anyways which is fine because thats what I planned on doing. So just to make sure, neither of those jobs can be put on my contract right, its basically earned if I get 1st class PFT and Expert rifle qualified.
As soon as you do those two things take your documentation to the Recon or Scout Sniper screening team and they should give you either one of those MOS's if not both. Open contract is something I would recommend not doing but then again it’s not me enlisting. On a side note, can anyone tell me why Recon is under manned? Just about everyone signing up for the Corps on this forum wants to be a Ricky Recon Scout Sniper MARSOC Operator/ super secret squirrel. Anways, good luck on your aspirations!

Petz
06-23-09, 02:23 PM
I agree... everyone has aspirations to be recon... why IS recon so empty and what's worse they're gonna make it harder to get in... just read it today in my MCtimes.