PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with this question?

susielemar
06-14-09, 04:04 AM
My sons recruiter lied to him and right now he is so upset. He is in MOS training right now and his sister is the one that told me about this and I called him. He was scared to talk to me about it, he thought he was letting me down. When he signed up he picked mechanic and his recruiter told him it was not open at that time but it would be open at the end of his boot camp. WEll guess what once you go to boot camp open you have no choice at that point to pick your job. They pick it for you. He had no idea until he was there at boot camp. Now he is at moss and said that 90% of the people that are there want to be there and are happy. 10% of them went in open and are made to be there. This is not what he wants, does anyone have an idea of what he can do? I told him to go talk to someone. I know there has to be someone there that can help him. As a mother I am not sure there is anything I can do. My son is not scared to die for his country but if it happens he wants at least know he was doing something he wanted to do. They put him in to drive trucks. He is so sad right now about this and I have no experiance with the Marines so mabey someone here has information that could help us. Could anyone give me some advice?
Thanks to anyone that can help

Quinbo
06-14-09, 04:44 AM
I had typed up a long drawn out response about magic wands and peeling potatoes, sympathy and moms of america then I deleted it.

Best of luck to your son. The Corps needs truck drivers too. Tell him you are proud of him being a Marine and that is enough.

Pete0331
06-14-09, 05:30 AM
My sons recruiter lied to him and right now he is so upset. He is in MOS training right now and his sister is the one that told me about this and I called him. He was scared to talk to me about it, he thought he was letting me down. When he signed up he picked mechanic and his recruiter told him it was not open at that time but it would be open at the end of his boot camp. WEll guess what once you go to boot camp open you have no choice at that point to pick your job. They pick it for you. He had no idea until he was there at boot camp. Now he is at moss and said that 90% of the people that are there want to be there and are happy. 10% of them went in open and are made to be there. This is not what he wants, does anyone have an idea of what he can do? I told him to go talk to someone. I know there has to be someone there that can help him. As a mother I am not sure there is anything I can do. My son is not scared to die for his country but if it happens he wants at least know he was doing something he wanted to do. They put him in to drive trucks. He is so sad right now about this and I have no experiance with the Marines so mabey someone here has information that could help us. Could anyone give me some advice?
Thanks to anyone that can help

Sorry to hear about that, Ma'am.
Stuff like this happens, it's just the way the Marine Corps is.

He's just starting out.
Other options may open up to him down the road, but for now he will have to stick it out.
If he drops the ball, those opportunities may dry up very quickly.
I know that many of the truck drivers I have served with had the opportunity for on the job training in being a vehicle mechanic.
Sometimes they were able to transfer over.

I know how frustrating it can be as a parent, but please try not to get involved in trying to raise a storm about this.
In the long run it will be more difficult on your son with all the undue attention he will receive.

Tell him to keep going.
The job always gets better.