PDA

View Full Version : Poolee wants to be the guide

Russel Harris
06-13-09, 12:59 AM
I want to be the guide when I get to boot camp for the extra challenge and to be able to say I was the guide. Friends that have come back from boot camp tell me to get everyone doing what they need to do in receiving, boss people around, and make it clear that I'm the leader. Is this a good thing to do? Are there any other things?

Alisium
06-13-09, 01:03 AM
First take care of yourself. Make sure your stuff is wired. Then worry about the other recruits. Help them, serve them. Yelling and bossing around isn't leadership. It's just being an azz.

Every billet I ever obtained was because I was squared away, new my stuff and helped my fellow Marines. Not because I showed everyone who was boss.

Lead by example. If you're good enough then the Drill Instructors will pick you. Never try to achive a posistion of leadership on the backs of others.

Russel Harris
06-13-09, 01:07 AM
Thank you for the post Alisium. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Hopefully I can manage to do that when I actually get there.

Russel Harris
06-13-09, 01:11 AM
Thanks PaidinBlood. That was a little bit scary to be honest, but thanks for replying.

Russel Harris
06-13-09, 01:14 AM
Yea I got your point, lol. I'm in pretty excellent physical shape if that helps with being guide. I'm not worried at all about getting less than a 300 pft. I'm considerably worried about the doing well with the rifle though.

Alisium
06-13-09, 01:15 AM
Blue Falcon = Buddy Fvcker. Don't be that. That is the most hated species of nasty in the Marine Corps. And if you see someone doing that, give them a heads up then a chin up (right above your fist).

And one more thing. I'm not usually anal about this, but it's not a bad idea of getting into the practice of calling Marines by their rank, if you're a poolee. Develope those good habbits now so you can devlop better ones in recruit training.

And you're very welcome Mr. Harris.

SF

Cpl. West

Russel Harris
06-13-09, 01:17 AM
Will do Cpl. I've never really been sure if I'm supposed to call Marines by their rank as a poolee. I wasn't sure if it was insulting or not. Thanks.

Alisium
06-13-09, 01:24 AM
No sweat, that's why we're both here. To ask and answer questions.

Covey_Rider
06-13-09, 03:09 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48154

Here you go man...

I was that motivated guide in boot camp, and managed to graduate as a Lance Corporal. I know that there are some poolees out there who feel that they're going to need more when they get to boot camp. You'll find out when you get there. Either way, good luck with your aspirations to become more. If you're not the guide though, don't sweat it at all. It doesn't make any difference once you get to the fleet, unless you are promoted because of it.

psyclopsus
06-18-09, 05:53 PM
Being guide is motivating and all, but I don't really think there is any way to MAKE SURE you'll get it. Alisium and PaidInBlood both said it best, in their ways...Be an outstanding recruit. Shine. Whatever you want to call it. Any attempt to "suck-up" or to "buck-up" will probably not be well met by your Drill Instructors. Don't suck azz with the Drill Instructors and don't try to be a badazz with the rest of the recruits. Take more of a firm mentor role, and remember you are all equals until graduation. Recruits have no rank. In my boot camp platoon we had a house guide and a drill guide. House guide was good at the leadership aspect, but SUCKED at drill, so maybe the whole thing is arbitrary. One other tip I can think of if you do get guide. Don't use phrases word for word like the Drill Instructors do, unless they specifically tell you to. One of our guides got fired for that.

Old Marine
06-18-09, 06:37 PM
Guides are fired dailyjust for GP.

Petz
06-20-09, 03:40 PM
and you don't learn any leadership from the position.

you don't get any brownie points either... honestly it takes away from your training.

Old Marine
06-20-09, 04:33 PM
and you don't learn any leadership from the position.

you don't get any brownie points either... honestly it takes away from your training.

The Guide is the best Private in the platoon. Best in PT, Best in Academics, Best in Leadership, Best at Drill and Best at Rifle Range.

Being Guide takes nothing away from your training if you are the best worm in the platoon. There are leaders and there are followers. Most are followers and that is the reason Guides are fired.

Supersquishy
06-20-09, 04:42 PM
The Guide is the best Private in the platoon. Best in PT, Best in Academics, Best in Leadership, Best at Drill and Best at Rifle Range.

Being Guide takes nothing away from your training if you are the best worm in the platoon. There are leaders and there are followers. Most are followers and that is the reason Guides are fired.

We went through Guides like candy, our final guide could only do the minimum pullups, and most of us out ran him on the PFT...to this day I still have no idea why they kept him a guide...PS don't act like one of your Drill Instructors as a guide, nightly rack parties will commence upon thee.

Old Marine
06-20-09, 05:39 PM
We went through Guides like candy, our final guide could only do the minimum pullups, and most of us out ran him on the PFT...to this day I still have no idea why they kept him a guide...PS don't act like one of your Drill Instructors as a guide, nightly rack parties will commence upon thee.

Guides usually always step on their crank and get fired. Could be that this particular worm was the only one who knew what a 30" step was.

SlingerDun
06-20-09, 07:15 PM
... honestly it takes away from your training.Met up with our guide at ITS after boot camp. He carried the stick through most of 3rd phase i think, most of 2nd phase and drilled with a rifle like 1st phase. After ITS because of his stature (6ft 180 something pounder) and squeeky clean record he was selected for 8th & I where i reckon he had some catching up to do on the grinder.

--->Dave