PDA

View Full Version : Questions about writing to friend in boot camp

Sidra
06-11-09, 07:38 AM
Hi, I just got my friend's address in boot camp from his family and I'm writing a letter to him now but I have a few questions about if there are any regulations towards this.

1. Do the DI's read it before he reads it?

2. Is there a length limit? Should I try to keep it short and sweet due to his lack of free-time?

3. And lastly, can I mention current events? Are recruits able to read the paper or do the DI's tell them of current events? For instance, I was going to mention some things about the situation in North Korea and the shooting at the Holocaust Museum yesterday. Can I do this?

Thank you so much for any help and any of your time.

Wyoming
06-11-09, 08:31 AM
Hi, why don't you fill out your profile!!

No profile, no replies!!

ArtyOps
06-11-09, 08:37 AM
Fill out your profile and read the rules of the forum.

Worst part is I already had your question answered too.

Sidra
06-11-09, 09:40 AM
Ooops, sorry, I thought that was only for Marine recruits only! I'll fill it out. And sorry, I used the search function but nothing came up.

ArtyOps
06-11-09, 09:43 AM
1 No, they don't

2 No, there isn't

3 Yes, you can, dont send the whole paper send a clipping.

Sidra
06-11-09, 09:44 AM
Thanks!

ArtyOps
06-11-09, 09:47 AM
Thanks!

Gene Hackman was a Marine. I didn't know that. Wow, learn something every day.

Phantom Blooper
06-11-09, 09:50 AM
Hi, I just got my friend's address in boot camp from his family and I'm writing a letter to him now but I have a few questions about if there are any regulations towards this.

1. Do the DI's read it before he reads it? No,unless there is contraband in the mail or packages.

2. Is there a length limit? Should I try to keep it short and sweet due to his lack of free-time? It's up to you....he may have to read part tommorow.

3. And lastly, can I mention current events? Are recruits able to read the paper or do the DI's tell them of current events? For instance, I was going to mention some things about the situation in North Korea and the shooting at the Holocaust Museum yesterday. Can I do this? Not advisable...the recruit is there for training...If the drill instructor believes he needs the information he will get it...keep the letters positive and upbeat.
Thank you so much for any help and any of your time.

My opine....:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
06-11-09, 09:52 AM

They did a great piece on Steve McQueen in the lastest issue of Leatherneck.

temarti
06-11-09, 09:56 AM
Put a piece of gum in it also, the recruits enjoy the surprise

KawiGunny
06-11-09, 09:56 AM

Check out this list.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_U.S._Marines

KawiGunny
06-11-09, 10:03 AM
Check out this list.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_U.S._Marines

Here's another good one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historically_notable_United_States_Marines

Sidra
06-11-09, 10:20 AM
Yeah, you have a point about the current events. I'm sure if something big with North Korea happens they'll tell him.

And thanks, I'll be sure to send him some gum.

And yeah, tons of great actors used to be Marines or in some service. McQueen, Hackman, Stewart, O'Toole (though British), etc. I don't think I know a single actor in recent times that has, though, unfortunately.

Wyoming
06-11-09, 10:29 AM
Perfume and a lipstick kiss on the back of the envelope are also great ways to get his mind off of boot.

You could also send him one of those speed stick thingys that you plug into a computer. He could use it during free time or maybe the DI's would let him use theirs. Pictures of the family and friends and yourself. Not too provactive however. Maybe just a couple of buttons opened.

Fievel
06-11-09, 02:30 PM
Also, if you want to you can address the envelopes to your friend by putting a rank in front of their name. Your friend should be close to a Corporal by the time he gets out of boot camp so make sure you write Corporal next to their name or the Drill Instructors might not know which recruit to give it to. A lot of people process through boot camp so make sure to include the rank.

Supersquishy
06-11-09, 02:53 PM
Don't forget to send a couple of cigars; held once a week is "Stoggie Night" you get to go around and introduce yourself in the squadbay, "Smokin' and Jokin'" is the real term, but thats inside info. Hush.

Supersquishy
06-11-09, 02:59 PM
Forgot to add, keep us posted on how hes doing in Boot Camp, always refreshing to hear from future Marines.:thumbup:

0231Marine
06-12-09, 07:24 AM
Yes, I for one want to hear how your recruit is doing. Let us know what he says in his return letters to you!

Best of luck and send him all of the above if you can because bootcamp is hard enough and he could probably use some cheering up and comfort gifts from you. Also, does he like stuffed animals because Marine Corps Order 3471.5A: says that the recruits are allowed to keep one if it's from a loved one, girlfriend or wife as long as it's not disrespectful. My sister sent me a beanie baby when I was in bootcamp and I hung it on my rack for the time I was there. It was a nice reminder of my family back home and kept me motivated.